“Should be better”

Hotel International
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Rab Island
“Should be better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a week. I'm not sure wether I should have rated this hotel as poor because I was quite disappointed, but probably because I expected too much. Anyway, expectations aside, when we arrived we were informed that the hotel was overbooked and that we should spend the night at Hotel Padova and return the next day. We refused and were placed in a double room which was to small to have a crib put in so our two-year old slept on a mattress on the floor (which was ok by her, but not ok generally speaking). The next day we got a bigger room with a suprisingly small window, one person at a time could enjoy the view (maybe my expecations again).
The food was edible, but nothing more.
There are two elevators, each supposed to hold 4 persons but there's actually (decent) room for 2 or hardly 1 if you put two bags in it.
There is no place to dry the towels you bring back from the beach or your bathing suit.
The parking costs 20kn/day but you have to walk 15min to get to your car (they say it's 500 meters, but I'm not so sure about that).
The cleaning lady was very nice.
All in all, you live through the experience, but in comparison, for example, with Panison Tamaris, which also has three stars, except for the location, there is no contest.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank anawind

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Zagreb, Croatia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I cannot say I was dissatisfied with anything in particular. And I’m unsure whether I should have given the International a 4-star rating after all.
This is a 3-star hotel and the first impression when I entered the lobby, and the room, was one of pleasant surprise. The room was nice, there’s AC, a TV (albeit the CRT one), the bathroom was really great - quite roomy (had a real bathtub, a big plus; I hate those teeny claustrophobic shower cabins), the beds were fine, and nothing was dirty (I always carry hygienic wipes and thoroughly clean all surfaces – no residue remained on them). The only thing that drove me mad was horrible lighting (25 W light bulbs!). I couldn’t see anything unless I opened the window, but I didn’t do that often as the window overlooked a deck where people were going to and fro (it was some sort of lounge bar/disco club at night; the isolation was pretty good once the window was shut, though. I also bought some silicone ear plugs and the music didn’t bother me whatsoever). I would have liked it had the room been vacuumed at least once during my 7-day stay, but I always take care not to make a mess so it was OK. The positive thing is that the towels were changed if so indicated (dropping them on the floor) and toilet paper was regularly supplied.
I cannot even say that any of the staff were rude as they were not; they simply seemed disinterested (toward the end of my stay I realised they had too long shifts and were underpaid, if at all; a situation repeated across Croatia. And as much as I sympathise with them, I also worked hard for my 7-day vacation and I really don’t want to listen about it.). Numerous times there was no one at the reception when I wanted to leave my key-card or ask a question (a little note on this: somehow, I got the impression that when they realised I was Croatian, they always dismissed me as not really worthy troubling with. This became very irritating after a while.). Once I got their attention they were nice, but still... Actually, I cannot be sure, but most people working there seemed to be reallyyoung, like trainees on their practical training, but with no one to properly guide them. This, I think, was one of the biggest problems.
As far as the food goes, I had half board and the meals were buffet-type. I must say that breakfast was excellent – bread, rolls, yoghurt, cereal, tea, coffee, jam, butter, cold cuts, cheese, eggs, sausages, croissants, pancakes, fruit, juice…. The selection was excellent and I think everybody could find something they liked. The selection of the dishes for dinner was also fine (meat, fish, salads, cold cuts, cheese, cake, fruit, bread, ice cream etc.). BUT. I’m a vegetarian and usually not fussy with the food. However, I simply would have liked if the side dishes were not always served together with the meat. Almost every single time there was rice, potatoes, pasta – meat (or fish, whatever) was served on top of it :( I loved it when there was štrukli – it’s a traditional dish from Hrvatsko Zagorje made from simple dough filled with cottage cheese, then baked or cooked. Yummy. And 100% meat/fish-free. Luckily there were cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese so I could always mix that and make a salad. I tried to ask (whom I thought was) maitre d’ whether it was possible to serve the side dishes separately from the meat, but it turned out that the girl was not the head waitress, she had no idea how the chef served the meals and really had no jurisdiction over anything (in which case, I don’t see the point of anyone standing at the entrance to the dining room). After two nights I realised that the staff were constantly rotating: one day I saw a girl at the reception, the next she was the maid, and the day after that she was in the dining room, acting as a maitre d’ but really not, then back at the reception. And then all over again. I think this hotel has serious management issues and whoever is in charge of assigning the duties and responsibilities is doing a really lousy job of it.
The hotel also has a pool and offers spa services which are really affordably priced. I haven’t tried anything as I was not there long enough (I tried to book a mani-pedi, but they were full, and when they had a free slot, I was away on an excursion to the nearby island).
Well, I have rambled on for too long, but let me end this on a positive note: all in all, I liked the hotel; I would recommend it and I would stay there again. And the location is simply superb! The town beach is just 10 minutes away on foot, and the walk is really lovely through Park Komrčar; the port is in front of the hotel with the anchored excursion boats, the old town is behind it, and the shops and a drugstore are just a 5-minute walk away. The location really is brilliant. As I said, I would stay at the International again, I was thinking maybe as early as this September. It’s off-season, but the weather should still be nice and Rab is really a wonderful and charming little town. To finish, as much as I’d like to give the International a 4-star rating, I opt for 3 because of the management which, in my opinion, is a little bit confused.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Drugarica
Budapest, Hungary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

We spent very pleasant 11 days here.
Overall:
Rooms are very nice and tidy. Sometimes you need to ask for cleaning cause it's not being made on a daily basis but when you close the windows you are in trouble as the Air Condition in the rooms work properly but don't cool at all.
The street view rooms are very noisy, parties going on until 4:00 a.m.
Food: dinners are excellent, the breakfasts are the very standard - sausages and eggs. (The local cereals are not recommended :)) To both meals apply that you need to be there on time otherwise you eat the rest.
The waiters are very frustrated and look tired - through 11 days we saw same faces in the mornings and evenings. The service level is according to their workload.
Receipton services are good.
Pool is cool for kids - they survived only 15 minutes in the water.
Location: superb!

Room Tip: Use the see view rooms
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Attila K
North Shields, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

This is a 3* hotel which must be at the very top of this rating. It's very classy and nice. The pool is nice, but small and cold. From an adult perspective it's nice to have a deep pool which this was. The room was large and very luxurious for a 3* - I have stayed in less pleasant 4*s. Bathroom was nice with a really bizarre sun bed styled light. it has a good safe.

The hotel fronts on to the lovely harbour and the backdoor takes you straight into the Old Town where there are lots of places to eat and drink. Harpun just outside is very nice and cheap. The Astoria restaurant 2 mins away is a bit classy. The nearby nightclub can affect sleep, but only did on one night.

Rab is a gorgeous island and this is a top place to stay if you can get a good deal. We paid £90 per night which was the top limit I would pay for here - the most expensive place we stayed, but no regrets. Doing Croatia on a mixed budget is great.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ShieldsWeasel
Ljubljana, Slovenia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

+ Hotel in centre of town - walking distance to everything.
+ Comfort, clean rooms with AC.
+ Swiming pool and sauna included.
- WiFi available only in hotel lobby (didn't work during our stay!)
- If you go to breakfast or dinner late, you wont have much to choose from food selection.

• Stayed June 2011