“Very good but improvements can be made”

Valamar Diamant Residence
Ranked #10 of 101 Specialty Lodging in Porec
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very good but improvements can be made”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have just returned from a 2 week holiday at the Hotel Diamant in Porec, me and my family stayed in the apartments as we wanted to be self-catering and for more room. First impressions of our apartment wasn't the best, from the outside the paintwork looked mouldy and the walls were covered with ants, however inside the room was clean and quite spacious. There wasn't a kettle or a toaster in the apartment which was a bit disappointing. Apart from this the apartment wasn't at all bad and the maids were very efficient in cleaning and putting in more towels and toilet rolls. The other apartments especially those on the second floor seemed better I think it was mainly the ground floor apartments which weren't very appealing on the outside.

On the other hand the hotel was great, I think they had painted the outside as it looked much more clean and new than previous photos I had seen of it before I came, the inside was very modern and clean and all staff were extremely friendly. Likewise the swimming pool area was also clean and the poolside food was very nice.

I wanted to go self-catering so that me and my family could go into Porec in the evening and try a different restraunt each night, although we found that porec was very busy at night and often in the main square loud music was played live by bands and so finding a restraunt was a bit manic! After eating in porec a few times we decided to stay nearer the hotel where it is much quieter. Our favourite place was Dino's, the food was fantastic and the price very cheap averaging about 285 kuna for a full course meal for 4 people which is only about £30! Also the hotel food was very tasty as we paid to try their buffet style cuisine one night, if we stayed again I would definitely stay in the hotel rather than the apartments as the food was excellent and the interior of hotel was very welcoming.

When we first arrived the temperature was around 37 degrees which was far to hot to even lie in it, (as you will find everyone is under an umbrella in the shade) but after 2 overcast days the weather cooled down to a more suitable temperature for us.

Overall porec and the hotel was lovely, and me and my family had a pleasant stay. Just a few little improvements I.e. a lick of paint would have made the apartments much better. The area is great for little children, with trampolines etc near the beach. We really enjoyed the holiday on a whole and would most definitely return to Croatia as it is so beautiful. I also recommend anyone staying to book the fish picnic boat trip, where you travel to Rovinj which is absolutely beautiful, it was well worth the money, we had a great day!

Room Tip: If I was to stay again I would stay in the hotel rather than the residence
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Joanne C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Dunajska Streda, Slovakia
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We have stayed at Valamar Diamant Residence 5 days in June 2013. The two bedroom apartment (K8) looked like as we expected ( spacious, relativelly new furniture, well-equipped kitchen, small bedrooms).
Only one thing made a very bad impresson. When we enter to the apartment we can feel fustiness. I found black mould spots in the bedroom!!! We have complained about it. They was not able to give us another apartment. They sent cleaner to reclean the room. Cleaner removed the stains from the wall, but that wrong smell stayed there the whole vacation. It was a big disappointment with this residence. I don´t understand how they could in this bad condition give the room to the quest.... I was worried about our children not to become ill in this unhealthy room. We have booked the accomodation in January, so I thought we will get better apartment.
We have used the Diamant Hotel services, food was various ( only soups were not according to our taste), staff was always smiling, helpfull, well-kept surroundings ( flowers, cleanness ).
Other negative was that we had to pay in advance for the apartment, because the system not allowed to charge money from the credit card + ants in the kitchen.
Except of the mould in the bedroom our vacation would have been perfect.:(

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Zsuzska K
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2013

When I go to istria I only stay at the valamar diamante.... you can get some great deals, and the food (buffet style) is plentyiful.
The hotel is situated on the sea with a nice pool.
The staff are always friendly, and willing to help.
I honestly cant think of any negatives about the place
Keep up the good work !

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jonny o
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed at the residence instead of the hotel, to save some money, but also to have a little more room. The accommodations were very comfortable and we were able to use all the amenities of the hotel including restaurant, pools and beach. Stayed for 4 days and had plenty to do, as well as time to relax. Took the little train into the town for dinner and site seeing one night. Went jet skiing and spent a lot of time in the water and the pool area. Service was good, people were very nice. A beautiful location and property.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Shirley J
Porec
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Valamar Diamant Residence where I stayed is a beautiful, spacious, comfortable place, surrounded by a few more large hotels that , which pools, for example you can also use. I loved everything about the place, except the location. Don't get me wrong, the location is beautiful and the beaches are very close, but if you don't have a car, like I did, then there are very limited ways of transportation. You would think, that if the hotel is so isolated, that the hotel will provide some sort of free shuttle transportation to the city and/or the buss station. Just to let everybody know, the taxi is quite expensive there , even on short distance. So, you will either need to have a car or a good friend with one ;).
Otherwise, I really liked laxurious place I stayed. Regardless the mobility issues, I did not want to leave.
Also, if you or your kids are in to sport, they have a great sport center.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Tatyana S
Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed for a week in early October on a half board basis in a one bed apartment. The apartments are attractively arranged in blocks of 8, in virtually traffic free roads - you can park to unload but then need to move your car to the car park. We had an upper floor south facing apartment, which I would recommend over the others as their terraces could face north, east or west and not get as much sun or have such a pleasant outlook. The apartment living area and bathroom were clean and spacious, bedroom rather tight on space with no room for a chair by the dressing table/shelf. There was a microwave and dishwasher - personally I would much rather have had a washing machine than a dishwasher, but these seem virtually non existent abroad. There was no kettle and reception said it was not possible to provide one - she said she had often been asked for this item, so why don't they provide one? The main reason we had an apartment was for the extra space and to make teas and coffees, as we were on half board. However it was not the end of the world as we boiled water in a saucepan, just took a while. The terrace was pleasant with room for 4 people and lots of lovely flowers. All around were bushes, trees and flowers with gorgeous perfumes. Also the foliage helped with privacy, preventing direct views into the apartments opposite.

Main downside was the possible disturbance by noise - all outside noises were intrusive. Fortunately as we were out of high season it was reasonably quiet, but on our last night we had a noisy group move in below whom we could hear very clearly, eg voices on the terrace, water running, chairs moving around, tv noises, due to the thinness of the walls and lack of double glazing. Also beware, if there is a wedding celebration in Porec you can hear the music and singing all night long until 5 am, even though it is 1 km away!! I phoned reception at 4.00 am to ask about the noise as it seemed to be coming from the next apartment, it was so loud, and was amazed to be told it was from a private restaurant a km away. What a pity the authorities do not restrict such noise to a lower level and to finish say by midnight - no-one in Porec could have got any sleep that night, whether locals or holidaymakers.

The food was excellent with fresh food being cooked while you wait. Very good choice, some meats a bit tough especially the beef. But so much choice it didn't matter. Lovely to have breakfast on the terrace, and although it finished at 10 am you could still carry on sitting and eating (food was cleared away at 10) as long as you wanted. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly.

I loved Porec - the walk from the hotel was glorious, through pine forests down to the coastline. Porec has everything, cobbled streets, interesting shops, pretty squares, gorgeous undulating coast, beautiful harbour - the weather was warm and sunny, with hardly any wind. As mentioned above the only downside is the possible noise, i don't know about the discos as mentioned by some other reviewers as we couldn't hear those a km away, but i imagine if the authorities clearly don't object to extremely loud music until 5.00 am there won't be much restriction on the night clubs, so somewhere like the Valamar is in a good position being within walking distance of the town but far enough away to not hear the night clubs (only the wedding receptions!)

We hired a car from Trieste airport (as we spent 3 nights in Lake Bled first) so toured around quite a lot - Rovinj and Motovun are definitely worth visiting, Rovinj is stunning with its harbour and medieval streets, fantastic views from high up Motovun - also took the trip to Venice from Porec which turned out to be extremely expensive but worth it as a one off visit to such a unique place (about £222 for the 2 of us by hydrofoil, with 3 boat trips - glad i did the boat trips as walking around was quite honestly ghastly, was sooooooo crowded (I dread to think what a Saturday in high season is like). But there is only one Venice - definitely worth doing the boat shuttle tour, the panorama boat tour, the gondola (how can you go to Venice and not have a gondola trip) All these trips were arranged through the tour operator for the hydrofoil, Venezia Lines, and were much cheaper than you could arrange independently, but still very pricey. Go to the back streets to eat and drink, about 3 euros for coffee/beer and 7-10 euros for a pizza.

All in all the Valamar was great and so was Porec! Go before they join the euro - prices will inevitably rise then.

Room Tip: ask for upper floor south facing apartment
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jilleastbourne
Yorkshire
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

Had a fantastic holiday. Apartment was just as described but was quite roomy. Just a few minutes away was all amenities of hotel. Pool was quiet but imagine it isn't in peak season. Didn't eat in hotel restaurant just at poolside bar and that was cheaper than usual in hotels just didn't have everything on menu.
Entertainment was ok band or singer in lobby bar but spent most evenings in porec. Short walk into porec or ride on a train or even a water taxi (fantastic way to end an evening).
Only slight negative was noise from other apartments which seemed to be used for staff as well as holiday makers. But it would not put me off going again.

Perfect holiday modern amenities with quaint old town in walking distance

• Stayed September 2012