“A little disappointing!”

Apartments Laguna Bellevue
Ranked #1 of 109 Specialty Lodging in Porec
Reviewed September 10, 2011

I think that there was an issue of misrepresentation from our tour company in that for our self-catering holiday there was the absence of cleaning of the apartment. When the representative was approached regarding this matter the response was that you are booked as being self-catering which does not include cleaning and that if cleaning was required then this was an extra cost of 160 Kuna (£20). Self-catering, over the many times that I have experienced this, has included cleaning of the facilities including floors, bathroom and bed change on at least 2 occasions per week. This would then compare with the offer provided by Thompson for the same apartments. The lack of information as to the lack of cleaning was misrepresentational against the expected norm and to prevent this misapprehension the company would then have to provide information as to what cleaning was to be expected by their clients especially when we have 2 young boys and this lack of servicing would have made us decide to holiday elsewhere. If no cleaning was to be provided in the package then this needs to be made explicit and that the provision of that service was to be paid locally. It appears that the omission of this information was either knowingly made or that the cleaing policy had changed after brochure printing.
The air conditioning was incapable of sufficiently cooling the 2 bedroom apartment with the solitary unit located in the living room/kitchen area making the bedroom temperatures little affected by its presence to which made sleeping uncomfortable considering that the daytime temperature reached 34-36 ͦ C and night-time temperature not much different with the a/c unit recording no lower than 26 ͦ C. When the apartment management were called to raise this point, the handy man came to look and said that the unit would need to be seen by an engineer. This of course never happened.
The advertised ‘tranquil’ and ‘ideal for families’ was not matched by the proximity of a so called privately owned night club that operated between the hours of 10pm and 4am. The location of the club was in a position that formed part of an overall site of Plava Laguna between Bellevue and Gallijot accommodation areas. Our apartment was on the side of the site that faced the club and disrupted my families sleep every night.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank AndrewM529
There are newer reviews for Apartments Laguna Bellevue

Reviewed August 24, 2011

As there are already many detailed reviews on here I won't say too much. My husband and I enjoyed a week at Bellevue and it was one of the best holidays we've ever had. Croatia is beautiful and the coastline walk into Porec every evening was lovely. The restaurants in Porec were fantastic and the seafood platter's delicious! It's also lovely to sit on the harbourside drinking cocktails whilst watching the yachts every evening.

The only downside to the apartments is that the cost of having them cleaned is not included apart from fresh towels (daily) and clean bed linen (midweek). I think you could pay extra to have them cleaned but we just did it ourselves.

The trip to Plitvice lakes (through Thomson) was great - although a very long day you get to see lots of beautiful scenery from the coach and the lakes are beautiful. The water taxi from Porec back to Bellevue was well worth the money most evenings (approx £5).

All in all a fantastic place to visit - would very highly recommend!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rshector79
Reviewed August 17, 2011

My Boyfriend and I have recently returned from a weeks self catering Holiday at Bellevue and we thought it was fab.

The apartment was really clean, well kept and had everything you needed for self catering. The towels were changed on a daily basics. Self Catering did turn out to be more expensive than we had bargained for as the choice of super markets was limited, this was without the use of a car. I noticed during a trip out of the town via coach there was a large super market, however, this wasn't available if you were walking. The on site market is very pricey....however, there is a slightly bigger one at the bottom of the steps near 'club Plava and the Train stop', this was more reasonable!

We ate in the on site restaurant /bar several times and the food was really good. The staff were pleasant and after your first two goes, they started to know you and your order etc!

The location was fab, Bellevue is 30 minutes walk from the main town, or a 15 minute train ride. The walk is lovely right along the coast so worth doing. Not being right in the center allowed you to take in the beauty of Croatia and really appreciate it without constant noise etc. The town Porec is beautiful!! Its full of cobbled streets, live music, beautiful buildings and wonderful people. Proec is full of culture. We ate in several different restaurants in the town and all were fabulous. The food was really good in all of them. We found that there was a large Italian influence, so you will find a lot of pizzas and pasta dishes. However, there so much more tastier than what we have in England, very fresh!! There also big on seafood.... I'm not a fan but the boyfriend is, and I'm sure he came home haven eaten every fish on the menu and enjoyed them all. The only thing I will say about the food is it could be quite salty!! Price wise we thought it was really good value. We paid around 150-200 Kuna for 2 main meals, 2 deserts and several drinks. (given that this always included a very large seafood dish, we thought it was reasonable!)

We went on several excursions through the holiday agent we booked with (Thomson). Best of Istria is highly recommended....this is a fab day out where you get to experience traditional food and drink and get to see the 'best' of north Croatia 'Istria'. The tour guide was very funny, and knew a lot about Istria so it really was worth while.

We also did the Plitvicka Lakes, National Park. It is BEAUTIFUL!! However, it was SO busy and we were very much marched around the lakes, so it was difficult to stop and enjoy it and take pictures. My Boyfriend ignored the fact that everyone was staying together as he was to interested in taking pictures and became easily detached from the group!! (Its easy to get lost). I think it would be worth while going here if you were doing it independently, but as a tour I found it quite rushed!

We also did the 'BBQ Cruise'. I WOULD NOT recommend this!! We were put on to an overly packed fishing type boat, whereby we had to find 'any seat going'. We were all crammed in like sardines, and this was quite uncomfortable when you were stuck in the middle of people you don't even know!! They did provide lunch and a few drinks, but I would say that it just was not worth while. I had read a review before we went on holiday, warning people not to do this trip, but we thought we would give it a chance, however, it was a wasted day!! We both felt disappointed when returning to the apartment!

One thing which was frustrating was when we arrived at the resort, which was around 10:45 am, we were told we could not check in until 2pm, and had to put our bags in a room until then. This noticeable caused several people frustration, particularly people with young children. Several people, including ourselves, quickly unpacked swim wear towels etc before handing our bags in so we could try and enjoy the time which seemed we were wasting. We did find this frustrating, as we were planning on checking in and having a nap after a very early start, which obviously impacted on the first evening etc, so overall the first day was quite short and tiring!!

On a VERY positive note, Croatia is the most beautiful place I have been to, its full of culture and the local people are so welcoming! We would , without a doubt, go back!! Highly recommend!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Rosie C
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We have just come back from a week at the Bellevue. Lovely place, well kept with an excellent poolside restaurant with the best squid I had all week, but the accomodation needs to be chosen carefully. We travelled with both a 9 and 2 year old, so we needed a cot. We thought this had been arranged before we arrived as Thomas Cook had confirmed it but it was not so. So arranging that was not easy at 9 pm at night when the staff didnt (or didnt want to) speak English. When the cot arrived it was impossible to fit anywhere in the accomodation. We had booked a 2 bed apartment. Be aware in block B (ours was B56) you cannot swing a cat in the rooms - they are tiny and wholly inappropriate for a family of 4. On top of that for some reason they squeezed 16 chairs into the rooms - cant work out why!! They did move us to Block A the next day (A29), completely different in size, except the bathroom which is, again, tiny, and whilst closer tho the "dreaded" disco it really doesnt make a lot of difference - with the windows closed you cant really hear it. As in most places the day staff are better to deal with than the night ones, both tried their best but its difficult to understand croatian and perhaps vice versa.

The place is spotlessly clean, and very eco friendly except I cant work out why they give you a bundle of towels each day?

The thoughts on the steps that other people have put are true - its tricky with a 2 yr old and a buggy and its about 100 from the beach/path to the pool (our 9yr old counted them!) - so be warned!

Porec and the surrounding area is impressive and not too expensive. Try the Old Cotton Club restaurant in the Square, a bit more expensive but lovely atmosphere, good food and will happily do smaller portions for kids.

If you hire a car do so in advance. We did so throgh Argus and got our car from Oryx in the centre of Porec - excellent staff, brand new upgraded Passat and didnt rip us off although car hire is far more expensive than, say, Italy.

Room Tip: Avoid Block B
4  Thank rji1962
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Croatia is unspoilt, friendly and good value.
Unfortunately I don't think it will last, we had such a fantastic week, even though one day the rain was almost biblical. The apartments are spotlessly clean, the site cleaners even polished the ashtrays outside.
The laguna were they are situated are gorgeous with only a short seaside walk to Porec (Pronounced Porridge) or take the 'Noddy Train' or even a water taxi. Everything was reasonably priced and we found a restaurant that sold 4ft wide pizzas. The food is very Italian influenced and we really liked the local Ajvar a red pepper and aubergine condiment tastes better than it sounds.
If there was one thing I wish I hadn't bothered doing though it was the day trip to Venice. Everything is extra. The food they charged 20 euros for was miserable and badly cooked the guide thought it would be 'fun' to serenade us all on the return journey, he was wrong.
Venice is, I suppose, very pretty, but you don't see anything with a billion other people trying to be in the same place at the same time. And the day we went was too hot. But at least I can say I've been.
Would love to go back but it seems flights for us are no longer locally available.
We visited Porec and Rovinj both beautiful Venetian style towns with plenty to do and see.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank johng67
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We have just returned from a week break at the Laguna Bellevue. The weather was mixed but we had a wonderful time. The apartments were better equipped than a lot of other 4* self-catering rooms we have stayed in before! They had plenty of cooking utensils and they even left washing up liquid and a sponge for us! There was no kettle but you can ask for one at reception however they do not have toasters. The rooms were clean and towels were changed every day. They also left clean linen for us in the week. We were a party of 3 and had a one bedroomed apartment- our room had two single beds pushed together for us and a pull out sofa in the living area for our son. Our first floor apartment had a beautiful view and we had two balconies-one from the living area and one from the bedroom area, both with a table and two chairs on. There are a lot of steps on the complex because it is on a hill; they didn't bother us-my legs just felt a bit more toned at the end of the week but obviously it could be a problem for people with mobility problems. The pool is small but adequate for the number of residents and we always found sunbeds and parasols. There is a good bistro on site and two more restaurants at the bottom at the hill. We ate at all three and have no complaints. The main dishes available are spaghetti/pasta dishes, pizza, fish/seafood dishes as well as red meat and chicken. There is a mini market on site and another at the bottom of the hill which was adequate enough for our short stay. There are no sandy beaches but there are some small pebbled areas to use for paddling and all along the coastline you will find paved areas to sunbathe and rails to help you in to the sea to swim. There is a regular water taxi or road train to take you to and from Porec. Porec is pretty and has some good restaurants-we ate in three different ones of a varying price range and enjoyed all our meals. The Italian on the front has reasonable prices and good food-especially the cakes! They were always busy but service was efficient. We were impressed with how many languages a lot of the staff, waiters etc.. spoke. We had no problems being understood in English but they appreciated it when you tried to speak some local words. We also went on the fish picnic trip which we booked through our rep and we really enjoyed it! The weather was cold to start off with but there was an enclosed seating area downstairs which we retreated to for a bit. The lunch of fish(mackerel) was very good and when we got off at Rovinj the sun came out and we were able to enjoy a couple of hours strolling around this beautiful town. It was also a good place to buy gifts as there seemed to be a more varied choice of shops. We then went back on the boat to Vrsar for a short stop which was also pretty. We felt the fish picnic was good value for money. We wanted to go to Venice but decided against it because it was a long day for our young son (7am-8.30pm ish) and in the hot weather it would be very tiring. All our son wanted to do was play by the pool, but it is supposed to be a good trip. I read a few reviews before we went, mentioning the noise from the nightclub. We could hear noise at night from the open aired entertainment down by the sea and from the nightclub when it kicked out at 4am. Our apartments were quite high up the hill so we didn't get the worst of it but we could still hear it. I managed to sleep through most of it and it rained a few nights which put a stop to some of it but my husband is a lighter sleeper and it did wake him-luckily being self catering we could have a lie in. It would not put me off going back again but I would not want to be at the bottom of the hill. Overall we had a wonderful time and we wished we could have been there for 2 weeks! We definitely hope to return to Croatia again and I if we stayed in this area we would be happy to stay at the Laguna Bellevue again.

2  Thank c2011
Reviewed July 19, 2011

The apartment was clean,the staff were pleasant and helpful and overall this was a really nice place to stay. The in house entertainment is very amateuristic and is worth a viewing for exactly that reason especially the magician .
The resort is rather hilly and there are a lot of stairs so if someone has mobility probems I wouldn't recommend it. The bistro on site is quite good however there are a number of excellent restraunts in Porec specialising in sea food. We found the cost of eating out slighly cheaper than the UK and Dino's Bar and Grill was very good value (about £1.90 for a large beer , pizza £5.00 , fresh seafood/steak £10.00).
We went to Rovinj by boat on a trip called "the fish picnic". Rovinj is beautiful and worth seeing but the boat trip was horrid. People were being sick on the way to Rovinj and about 20 didn't come back when we docked. The food served on the boat was possibly the worst food I have ever had and defied the laws of nature , the chicken was bone dry whilst greasy and the bratwurst was tepid. Coupled with the fact it was served on a swaying boat stinking of vomit and you have an experience I could have lived without. To round the whole experience off people flung the food out of the boat thus encouragnig seagulls and one of them managed with stunning accruacy to drop its innards onto our dining table. Not a good trip.
This however was the one bad point of the holiday and I would not hesitate to recommend these apartments or this resort to my friends and family.
p.s We also visited Pula which was wonderful a stunning amphitheatre and Roman forum.

3  Thank srvgns