“lovely lovely lovely”

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Makarska
london
“lovely lovely lovely”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

as you might have guessed we liked it here!!New build hotel (3 years old) imaculate.lovely large rooms carpeted and with good aircon.Large shower and space to put things in the bathroom.Great position just far enough out of the main town to be a little quiter on the beach, some parts were heavingly busy, but still plenty of bars and resturants to choose from. The food in this hotel was really good.The staff, for us, made this a tip top place to stay. The two lady recepionists could not have been more helpful or friendly.The waiters also were always poliet smiling and it made our holiday.
Every where was impecably clean, I cant recommend this enough.

Room Tip: sea view always good,penthouse on the top floor
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jo_kent1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Rayleigh
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This modern hotel is so stylish and yet feels homely. Maybe this feeling is helped by the brilliant staff who are so friendly in their manner and yet totally professional in the way they work. Great location.. Quiet yet short walk from the bustle of this small town. The hotel restaurant has a good quality menu at low prices. Thank you all at the hotel for making our stay such a happy one.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Jenkinfamily
Hampshire UK
Reviewed June 5, 2012

This was our first trip to Croatia- and we chose the hotel having looked at the reviews on this site.

Realy, nothing bad to report. Almost all positive. Helpful, lovely, multi-lingual staff. The location is great; on the north side of the town as you come in from Split.(c90 mins by car from the airport. The road is good, but winds along the coast- enjoy the views, and don't rush!)

Located on the sea front; the pedestrian zone it occupies seems to have the occasional moped popping by, but it was a quiet location for us in early June. Our room faced the side, so not much of a view, but we knew that before we started. It was labelled a "Junior Suite" but I think most British people would have understood it as a "Large Double Room"; however, let us put that down to translation! Views from the back of the hotel are mainly of nearby houses, but you can see the Biokovo Mountain massif beyond. Now, there was some noise from air-con units from the next door hotel, which means that at night you probably wouldn't keep the windows open, but with air con in the hotel itself, this isn't an issue really, and it is the only negative point in my view.

The whole stay was ridiculously cheap. (I think B&B in the hotel worked out at about £25 each.) Croatia is outside of the massive Ponzi-Scheme, foisted on us by useless politicans, that we call the EU. It manages to cope still, has a currency of its own, schools, and very reasonable infrastructure. You can drink the tap water, for example,and there was very little litter around.

Breakfast was fine- a nice selection and can be taken inside, outside, or over the pathway right on the edge of the beach. We ate three times in the restaurant in the evenings and it was always good. (And cheap!) On our last day, we had to leave by 0630 so they even left us a goodie- bag breakfast for the night staff to give us when we left! That was very helpful and thoughtful.

It is a good location for exploring the coast, north and south, as well as the islands, using the local ferries. Dubrovnik is about a 2 hour drive south, and you pass (effortlessly) through the Neum Corridor, so you can even say you have been to Bosnia-Herzegovina!

Tips: For UK readers- if you MUST rent a scooter- PLEASE read your travel insurance. Almost always, if you have an accident and do not have a FULL motorcycle license, they will walk away and point out the small print to you.

Take the day excursion, incuding fish barbecue, on the converted Norwegian trawler in the docks. It visits two islands and gives you nearly 3 hours on one of the best beaches there are. (Bol.) It is about £25 per person and they ply you with drinks all day. I have never before taken spirits at 9 am, but though, "When in Croatia...." and then didn't think much more till we got back!

Watch out for large stones/small rocks falling onto the road -especially after rain. Be really careful if driving after dark along the coast road because of this.

All beaches tend to be stoney, so get some sandals or beach shoes you can swim in.

Room Tip: I think sea-view would be best. We were in 101 which was above the kitchen, so just occasionally som...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank CW_1
Sundsvall, Sweden
Reviewed October 15, 2011

This is very nice hotel, and we liked it a lot!!!! Just perfect small hotel! Rooms a bit small. but very nice, clean and have anything you need!
Hotel staff has exceeded all of our expectations! They are so polite and helpful, all of your compliments to young lady Marina which is run this place, she is superwomen! Thank you for all again!

Room Tip: We definitely recommend this place!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Lars K
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This hotel truly has the best staff in Makarska- they were always smiling, making jokes but at the same time extremely professional and helpful despite their very long hours at work. The hotel is clean and comfy, and finally I was able to get a queen sized bed in Croatia x). I absolutely loved it, the staff and hotel breakfast always made my day ;). I'll be back for sure.

Room Tip: sea view is best
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Ollie1986
USA
Reviewed July 23, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel two Summers in a row now and are impressed with the hotel and it's staff. This is a newer hotel right on the Boardwalk in Makarska to the North of the main city harbor area. There is quite a bit of activity on the Boardwalk and it is fun to people watch while you eat breakfast or just have a drink. The Hotel staff is very professional and has improved greatly over the past year. The wait staff now will recognize you and make eye contact and say good morning, afternoon or evening with a smile, such an improvement!!! Quite frankly we can't wait to return. 1 week there goes way to fast only to attend to the responsibilities at the office. Next year we want to take our kids and their baby as the beach is right out front the hotel doors.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank KRJUSA
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I have to say I was absolutely astonished at the attitude of Marina, the manager of this hotel, after we complained 3 times to the girl at the front desk that the airconditioning wasn't working. Finally I threatened to check out if it wasn't switched on as I had elderly parents and we were all sweltering. She explained that because the other guests hadn't also requested it, they wouldn't turn it on. I demanded to speak to the manager and she finally called her and spoke at length with her in Croatian while moving some switches on a panel behind the door. I became impatient after 15 minutes of this and asked what is going on? She said the manager would meet us in out room. When we got up there, it was immediately apparent the room had begun to cool. The manager came up and in her condescending style proceeded to show me how to operate the AC. I told her I knew how to do that and that I had already put it inot the position she was showing me.( As it happens I come from an AC family/company and happen to know a little about the subject - NOT that it is brain surgery!) She said that she could not trust that I was not lying to her as I had also said I would stay 4 nights and then reduced it to 2 nights (as we had a change of plans). I was absolutely speechless, as she stood there and openly accused me of being a liar, because we changed our length of stay. She also ''apologised'' for the desk girl giving me ''wrong information'' re the AC and that the girl, as we spoke, was shaking from fear of losing her job. (I later checked this with the girl and she flatly denied it). I have never encountered such a rude person anywhere, let alone one that is managing a hotel. She never apologised for anything, but looked down her nose from her 10'' platforms with haughty disdain.
The hotel is clean and basic but no way in the best position. In fact it was our first view of Makarska and we were thoroughly disappointed, as so many people had raved about that that town. We took a walk later and found the centre of town and it took our breath away -the most beautiful spot on the entire Dalmation coast I think. But next time, I will stay at a hotel with that breathtaking view...not the somewhat lonely, boring location of the Maritimo. And definitely not AT the Maritimo.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family