All reviewswater taxiwhite villapine treescrystal clear waterkitchen facilitiesamazing viewscactusesyachtislandboataccommodationretreatterracetaxisprivacy
Reviewed March 7, 2011

It all comes down to knowing what you want upfront - that way you at least can spare yourself falling into the 'expectations gap' and writing nonsensical "stayed for 2 hours" types of "reviews. Or being annoyed by "crickets" (cicadas, actually, but never mind that).

Palmizana is NOT "where the action is" - it is small, rustic and sparsely populated. For "action" (singles bar scene? shopping?) do stick to Hvar. We escaped Hvar as quickly as we could to avoid endless tourist mob and prevailing sub-standard client service. We moved to Palmizana on the basis of i-escape info and reviews - and did not regret it one bit.

First off, you need to slow down, chill, change your stride - and enjoy it. No recommended for hyper types, but turned out perfect for a family of 30-something with a 5 year old boy.

Service - excellent, and one of us is a New Yorker. I can not think of anything that Romina and her crew would not do for us - rent a boat, get a free kayak for the kid, arrange fishing, take us to green abd blue caves, pick up from Hvar, help coordinate travel schedules, recommend things to do / places to eat in Split... Staff at the restaurant and the beach was very friendly and helpful. Can not think of a single inconvenience.

Food - excellent if a bit expensive. Yet when I compare it with 'fresh seafood' in the UK, it is positively worth the price. Both of us love seafood, so we gorged on it. Wine is expensive, that's the one you want to watch out for. Simple solution - drink less, or take the hotel boat to Hvar and pick up a case or two. May save 1/3 of the price, if I remember correctly. Or pay up and don't bother to break the slow flow of life on Palmizana. Oh, and if you catch an eel or an octopus by the little pier (family kids can teach you how), Romina's crew will cook it for you. If you want bit more basic / cheaper fare, go for Toto's or one of the beach bars.

Beach - 20 sec walk from the restaurant and most bungallows. It is small which again is absolutely perfect for us. You want a big one? Go to ConeyI sland, complete with its rollercoaster. It is stoney, so one thing you want to bring is rubber-soled slip-ons. Also helful when exploring the rocks. Pick them up in any of the Hvar shops - or on the pier. Beach is cleaned every day, and water is absolutely translucent. Reserve the sun beads early (around 9.30-10), they are free for hotel guests, but do get snapped up. Best thing to do is to pick a couple near umbrella and just ask the 'beach manager' to reserve them for you for the duration of your stay. Water is shallow far out enough for kids to enjoy and adults feel safe. Sandy once you are in the water. One downside - plenty of Hvar day tripper boats in high season. We even had a visit from an Arab sheik's yacht - watching his 3 year old grandson taking a dip on our beach surrounded by a dozen of ex-US marines was quite a spectacle. If you get tired, rent a boat and explore beaches around the island. There is a tiny sandy one within 15 min walk or less. Or ask Romina to take you to a nearby island for a day.

Rooms - rustic and basic, but clean and imaginatively designed. We've been given a tour of all, and I can not remember seeing one without AC. Overall. not for the over-pampered ones out for full set creature comforts, but perfect to beach / island bums. Check pics on i-escape or on Palmizana's own website. One thing I'd say is that Georgia House is not worth having - furtherst from the beach, no view, and the back garden needs a lot of work. Go for those closest to the beach - Green, Orange, Yellow, White... Oh, and no TV in rooms as far as I have seen, which, to me, again is a plus.

Transportation - it is a bit of a pain, as you have to fly into Split, take catamaran to Hvar (do buy tickets in advance and check the schedule), then boat it to Plamizana. Taxi boat from Palmizana to Hvar and back is equally a pain in the neck. If must get off the island for a day, ask Romina to take you when their boat goes shopping in the morning - and pick you up in the evening. No cars on this side of the island, apart from a couple of old service cars. No bikes, I don't think. So no noise / traffic.

Shopping - none, thank heaven for that. There is a small convenience store near the bigger resort (15 min walk from Palmizana) for your basics. Anything else - ask Romina's shoppers to bring you what you need from Hvar. For recreational shopping go there yourself.

Kids - our now 6-year old has been saying all winter that he's going back to St Clement's. And he does have resonable basis for comparison from multiple trips to Greek Islands, Croatia (Lopud and Dubrovnik), Spain, the US, Russia, etc. Beach / water is close, kayaking, fishing, exploring - all there when you want it. For eel-fishing bring a torch, think line and big hook. Romina will provide calamari for bait.

Flora / fauna - actually, just fine. Yes, plenty of 'cactuses' - actually, of cacti you have prickly pears and massive aloes. There is also boxwood plants, acaceas, and decent variety of others. Several resident peacocks and a tortoise enclosure. Lots of lizards, geckos, noisy cicadas and various 'flying things'. In sea, you get your stone crabs, fish, sea urchins, shells (occupied and vacant). May see an octopus of you're lucky - and even catch one if you are very lucky. Paradise for a 5-6 year old boy.

Internet - free Wi-Fi in the restaurant area, but pretty slow. Which, in my book, is a good thing, I spend enough time in front of the thingy.

In short - disregard content-free negative reviews (must be something very personal), decide whether rustic unwind is what you are after, and watch the costs - or just say "to hell with it", relax and enjoy.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank OccamsSharpRazor
Reviewed December 18, 2010

It's not going to be to everyone's taste, but we loved it. From the minute we arrived we felt that we were 'away from it all', whatever that means. Yes, the island of Sveti Klement has some slightly tacky tourist touches (the Novak beach bar pumping out sophisticated beach bar music all day and all evening can be a little wearing, and the Bacchus restaurant looked rubbish), but the resort of Palmizana itself - the main reason people should stay here - isn't quite like anything else.
There only seems to be one car, and the pace of life on the island is perfect for people looking to relax. Take a walk to 'the other end of the island' and see for yourself - a couple of amazing restaurants, a lovely village and some amazing scenery.
Palmizana apartments are very tastefully decorated, comfortable and homely, the staff are an interesting, intelligent and helpful bunch. There are no fake smiles and 'have a nice days' going on, just the plain business of making sure people make the most of the island.
Do yourself a favour and stay for a couple of nights if you're in the area. Bring some mosquito repellant, ignore the wasps, don't tread on the sea urchins, wear trousers if you're going to walk across the island, and don't bother visiting if you want a sanitized, concrete beach holiday.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MrSteveUk
Reviewed June 18, 2010

We stayed two hours and left! The best part of our holiday!!! It's just a big overpriced tourist trap!!! Will never go or recommend it to anyone!! Trust the bad reviews, spend your money elsewhere! Croatia is an amazing place, but this is not one of them!

6  Thank Greener1970
Reviewed May 24, 2010

I was very surprised to see the poor reviews on this island and restaurants. My 2nd thought was "Great, maybe there will be less people and I can get that table right on the water!" The main beach is small and busy. I would suggest taking the 15 minute walk to next cove over if you want less kids/people. The beach is small so venture out to the other sun spots on the island.

Truth is, I would make this trip just for the lunch at "that Garden Restaurant I am not going to name cause I want to make sure I get THAT table". I am planning on going back again this summer and looking forward to my 2 hour lazy wine filled lunch. The food was so good and fresh from the homemade pasta with Scampi to the grilled fish platter. Cheese and Prsut with figs for dessert.

Maybe the poor reviews are from people that are accustom to staying at Marriott and Hyatt Hotels...and in this case, good news for those of us who are looking for real Croatian Seafood that is not meant to serve the conference center.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 11, 2010

This was one of the most amazing resorts I have ever stayed in because of the location, the value, and most of all the personality and warmth of the staff.
My Fiancee and I had not seen each other in months as he is a pilot and was working abroad. As this was the first time we were going to see each other we wanted to splurge on a romantic get-away. Tarin and Romina went above and beyond to make this a special vacation for us and even upgraded us to a beautiful room surrounded by forest.
The food at the restaurant was some of the best I had in Croatia with fresh seafood (the mussels were AMAZING). The breakfasts, although they may seem slightly expensive were great value for price. You MUST order breakfast there, you will not regret it! Unlimited lattes, cheese and pate, fresh fruit, fresh baked breads and eggs made to order anyway you like, with whatever you want. It was absolutely incredible.

As for the staff, they were extremely friendly, genuine and always willing to help in anyway. they could. The wait staff were great entertainment and they type of people we would have loved to have a few drinks with. We were absolutely made to feel as if we were part of the family. I even cried when I had to say goodbye!

Finally the beaches were by far THE BEST in Croatia. For everyone else that reviewed and complained about the beach.....well they were obviously just lazy. The beach infront was small and busy, but Romana told us about another private beach only a 5 min walk away. We went there and were BLOWN AWAY! It was a gorgeous SANDY beach with crystal clear blue water and not a person in site! It was by far the best beach we saw in Croatia (and one of the best we have seen anywhere for that matter).

I would highly reccomend this place to anyone, especially for a romantic getaway. My fiancee and I know that we will be back again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple