“Great location, great staff"”
Review of Hotel Podstine

Hotel Podstine
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Hvar
Mississauga Ontario Canada
“Great location, great staff"”
Reviewed December 30, 2009

Great location just off the main noisy trendy party zone. On a quiet bay about a pleasant 20 min. walk from a wonderful town. (Hvar) Not huge, but comfortable. Romms were a bit small but expect that everwhere. (A bit outdated, but not a worry) What I liked the most was the view and several levels of terraces for either dining, lounging, reading, or having coffee/cocktails. Staff was VERY helpful. Manager Sime was accomodating in every way. Have dinner on the terrace! Great view, very romantic.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Korean first
Edinburgh
Reviewed October 24, 2009

Good location with stunning sea views from our balcony, and a good size room with comfortable beds. We like small private hotels and the service was excellent and very friendly for the 5 days we stayed here. Hvar island is beautiful, with lots to do. Podstine hotel staff helped us hire a car to tour the island and go wine tasting in Jelsa town (Tomic winery). They also arranged hire of a small boat for us, and the 2 of us sailed off for a picnic on one of the islands nearby. The hotel has a scuba dive shop (Viking Diving) next door with a friendly and professional instructor. After diving, it was great to go and use the hotel's spa facilities (particularly the hot tubs!) The restaurant was excellent (food and service), even at the end of the season. Will definitely go back and would recommend highly.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
london
Reviewed October 6, 2009

I partly blame myself for this bad review as I arrived at Podstine with high expectations. My mistake was thinking that spending a lot of money per night (184 euros, discounted from 249) would give us a week of luxury. This was not the case.

On arrival (after being picked up 15 mins late but no matter), the first thing we were told was that the boilers feeding hot water to our room were very small. Consequently, it was best to avoid taking very long showers. The hot water would also come out of the taps very very hot because of this (... so there was the possibility of scalding oneself?). This actually then happened ... but luckily only minor.
At this point I should say that we were in room 307, this is a superior exclusive with a fantastic view over to Pakleni Islands. I wanted to open the french doors onto the balcony to admire the view but only managed one. When I went to enquire at reception I was told that the catch to release the door kept being broken so they eventually decided not to bother replacing it. Great news for us.

The room was dated, one of the bedside lamps was melted, there was a little damage to decor from damp in the corner next to the balcony door (the one that opened) and a small oily patch on the wall next to light switch on the way into the room. The bedside drawer stuck.
When I had a wet shave in the bathroom the plug didn't hold the water so I had to get under the sink and make a few adjustments which seemed to work.
Out on the balcony one of the wheels of the sunbed was broken.

It was the accumulation of all these little things that got to me.

There's more.
The air con blew directly onto the bed. We can't be the only ones to find this very uncomfortable?

Wifi was very poor, I have a new Samsung NC10 notebook and there's nothing wrong with it but it struggled to pick up the weak signal even in reception. I occasionally got connected but would it really hurt them to have a better signal - our room was only 3 doors down from reception!

The rest of the hotel looked fine, the sunbathing area was very nice.
I have just two more comments to make. I have known pocket tissues that were more substantial than the beach towels they provide. I suggest you bring your own.

I accept that Hvar is an expensive place - however I would suggest you steer well clear of ordering food to the sunbathing area. They charged us £8 for a small bowl of chips.

Would I return? No I wouldn't. It didn't ruin my honeymoon but it certainly brought us down to earth with a bump. If I was to return to Hvar I would certainly look into renting a flat ... unfortunately this wasn't appropriate for a honeymoon.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank encle
Podstine, Manager at Hotel Podstine, responded to this review, October 19, 2009
Dear Sir,

First of all, I must thank you for all thorough comments about your stay at Podstine. We had so much excellent comments, and I will use this opportunity of thanking our guest that felt need to write down good experience about it, and even more person felt to thank us in person on departure. However this remarks I will take more as a constructive comment for us. I do regret that you had so much «small» negative remarks, as you said «accumulation of small things that got you», but I do remember only your remark about opening balcony doors.
I also recall that I informed you that, because our doors are projected to be open only one side of it. A lot of guests try to open both doors, and then the device to open second door brakes. At the time you were here, we run out of exchange mechanism to fix. I apologized to you, informing you that probably we will not be able to fix this problem to you. If you let me know that for you was a major problem, I would change your room.
Now, I went to check for myself, just to see if that all is a fact, some I managed to found, most I did not.
As I told before, it is hard for us to improve guest stay if you give us feedback about these things only after your departure. You did not mention anything at your departure too.
I checked your bill, and you ordered French fries with ketchup that cost 45 Kuna + 15 Kuna beach delivery charge. This delivery charge is applied only to food; drinks cost same as on the bar, if you ordered a ham and cheese sandwich that would cost you 20 Kuna + delivery charge.
I may or not agree with you that this is expensive, but everybody has a choice of either order or not order it. I am sure that you were aware of the prices before ordering it, as there was no complaint at the time of departure. After all, we only had prays for beach service up to now.
I also agree with you about the private housing, they do cost less, but they also have no daily cleaning, elevator, a beach in front, spa with swimming pool, sauna, gym and massage tubs. Finally, I see you gave in your review 4 stars for service, and I thank you for that. For sure, if you ever decide to return to Podstine, I can guarantee you that your stay will be much better.

Thank you for your stay and kind regards

Sime Fio
UK
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Great hotel that has potential, but the service does not quite live up to its comtemporary feel. The hotel has obviously been refurbished recently and as we were on our honeymoon we were upgraded which was excellent. Unfortunately the shower in our room was blocked and we had to request 3 times for this to be dealt with. I would also say that the rooms are not very clean. But overall we enjoyed our stay and the reception staff during the day were very helpful.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2009

We arrived back from a week at the Podstine during peak season and have very fond memories of the experience. We had a Superior room (303), which partially overlooked the sea, enough for it to be enjoyable.

Getting there was easy, but be sure to call the hotel before you arrive, so they can collect you at Hvar Harbour.

The service was great, and especially enjoyed the restaurant and bar staff who really ensured we were well fed and hydrated through the hot sun. The staff were prompt to go the extra mile, like making cafe lattes during breakfast, or recommending refreshing drinks to beat the summer's heat. We enjoyed all of the food, salads, and especially the home cooked chocolate Mousse.

The hotel is a pleasant walk from town, and far away from the Italian youth party Meccas of the Amfora and some other beach bars. We actually recommend the walk, which only takes 20 minutes at a carefree pace, for digesting the great food and taking in the coastal scenery.

You can book day excursions and other activities directly through the hotel, including boat hire. We opted for the beach and deep tissue massage, which was well worth every Euro cent!

Overall, if you're looking for a small, friendly, but chilled-out place, but still close to the action of Hvar, then this is your place! We are looking forward to staying here again! Thank you Hotel Podstine for making our holiday relaxing.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed July 30, 2009

We stayed at the Podstine for 3 nights recently (family of 4, 2 small children). It is a gem of a hotel ... we were in a big room with a balcony and sea view, plenty of room for all of us, and because it was an "obstructed" sea view (really just some trees, we could still see the water), we paid 195 Euros including breakfast ... I think the room had been recently redone, it was very tasteful and updated in soft greens and tans... great breakfast ... very polite and helpful staff ... beautiful sea swimming area ... a small pool which the hotel doesn't emphasize, though they should, because it was great for the kids who weren't really old enough to swim off the hotel swimming dock. The only slight minus is the location, as it is really too far to walk with children (close to 30 minutes). But we drove about halfway to the main Hvar downtown and parked on the street, then walked the last 15 minutes and it was fine. Overall, an absolutely fantastic hotel, I would go there in a second!

Oh and ... FREE WIFI!!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
London
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Myself and my girlfriend booked a week on Hvar for a bit of R and R after attending the Exit festival in Serbia. When booking the room I asked for a superior exclusive room with a view of the sea and was given room 305 which had a fantastic balcony with a great view of the sea you could see the sun setting every night it was stunning.
The room itself was really nice and spacious and very clean.
At the back of the hotel was a lovely outdoor eating area and steps down to the sea, down at the sea there is no beach but a kind of stone jetty with sun chairs, trust me it's a lot nicer than it sounds, the sea is amazing and the whole area is more or less exclusive to the hotel (check out the photos).
The reception staff were all really helpful and friendly and helped my girlfriend and I hire a car for 2 days.
The island of Hvar is absolutely stunning I can’t say enough nice things about it; my tip is to hire a car and go exploring.
They're are plenty of big hotels on Hvar that are all part of a chain but the Podstine is a bit more personal as it's family run and unless you want one of those huge resort type places (which we didn’t) then I would definitely choose the Podstine and like I said room 305 was great.
Myself and my girlfriend have totally fallen in love with Hvar and Croatia as a whole and will definitely book the Podstine again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple