“Excellent place to relax with a almost private beach”
Review of Hotel Podstine

Hotel Podstine
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Hvar
“Excellent place to relax with a almost private beach”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The location is amazing. The beach is almost private, only a few people visits the beach besides de hotel guests. The room is not that big but is charming and as everything we need to have a comfortable stay. The staff is very helpfull and nice.
Things to point out in a less positive way are: the wi fi that they tell you right away that is only reachable from the lobby or the restaurant, if you have kids or are a young couple this place can be boring. For people that want to rest and be calm is ideal but for people that search fun I think this is not the right place as the guests are mostly midle age couples and the majority of them are pretty snob. The other negative point is that most of the beach bar was closed at this time and only opens in July and closes again in September. So you don't have the full service in may. But still he you want to relax and have a semi private beach and a beautiful swimming pool this is the right place! I have to also point out the breakfast that was very good and the food from the restaurant very tasty but a bit expensive.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Eunicelopes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Korean first
Bonne Terre, Missouri
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Hotel Podstine keeps you close but avoids the crush of Hvar town, providing comfort, quiet, and ease. Sime, the boss, will welcome you warmly, then leave you alone unless you need his help, which he is always prepared to give. He knows his history, too, so you can take a lesson. We swam in the very chilly Adriatic off the hotel dock, and walked to town easily. A room upstairs with a balcony is a luxurious experience. We were before the season, and they opened just for us. The early dates may have had an influence on the restaurant, which we found to be about average. In part, it's places like this that make Croatia a wonderful destination. Carlo, behind the desk, is a sincerely nice guy. Say hello for us.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
london
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I highly recommend this hotel for a chilled holiday in Hvar. Situated away from the immediate port area ensures that you are not disturbed by the party dwellers. The main port area is an enjoyable 20 minute walk away.

The hotel is laid out over 7 levels and offers excellent sunning opportunities on 3 levels with sea access. One caveat - get up early to get yourself a good sun lounger.

The food and restaurant service were fine, reception staff very helpful and hotel facilities were aimed at providing a comfortable chilled base for enjoying Hvar.

I was with my husband and 3 children in their late teens/early twenties. Would not recommend for children under 4.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife, 13 year old son and I stayed in Hotel Podstine as part of our Croatian holiday in late July 2012 (a bit delayed with our review)! We did not have a very smooth start to our stay as, after a very long ferry journey from Dubrovnik to Hvar, there had been a mix up with our car booking through Podstine and, after chasing the hotel, we had to wait another 40mins for a taxi to take us across the island. Additionally, at check-In, we had been assigned a sub standard room to what we had requested via i-escape, and certainly not in keeping with the overall cost of our booking. However, on complaining, our issues were dealt with highly efficiently by the friendly staff on reception and we were assigned the room of our choice. Overall the service we received at the front desk was warm, friendly and really helpful. A special mention to Sime, who spoke excellent English and came up with some great recommendations for things to do (personal water taxi to Pakleni Islands from hotel sea front…recommended) and coastal walks. I would not extend this level of service to the rest of the hotel where at dinner, and especially the beach bars, the service could be brusque.

Given the cost of the hotel the rooms are somewhat basic and the sofa bed was pretty uncomfortable for our son. The bathroom was OK and hot water plentiful (despite the warning sign mentioning that there was only enough for 2)! However, we had booked one of the large superior exclusive rooms on the 3rd floor and the balcony was excellent with table & chairs and a sun lounger with views to the sea and Pakleni islands beyond. Perfect for relaxing with a couple of cold beers before heading out for the evening. We stayed at the hotel for 7 days as the rest of our holiday was pretty busy, we wanted some ‘chill-out’ time and to be able to explore both Hvar and surrounding islands. Given the downsides of the room, I think that this was certainly too long and personally I believe the hotel is more geared to a 3 to 4 day stay max.

A huge plus side of the hotel is the location. It has a fantastic setting right on the sea front but only a pleasant 20min meander along a bustling seafront walk into the buzzing centre of Hvar Town, with a it’s vibrant choice of bars and restaurants. This beautiful seafront setting makes the pool rather superfluous and we never used this at all within our stay. From the sea front, modern, comfortable sun loungers are arranged on a series of huge ‘steps’ leading up to the hotel. Some of these are fully in the sun and some in the shade of large tree’s, which can lead to the infamous ‘European early morning towel race’ to bag the best spot. The sea is simply gorgeous with crystal clear water (and some surprisingly good snorkeling) and a platform on one of the rocks is great for diving. Given the hotels position and sea front set up there are many steps and if you’re staying on the 3rd floor, between having breakfast, going to the sea front and back up again, expect a bit of exercise. For us this was no issue but for those with mobility issues or small children, be warned.

Breakfast at the hotel was OK (but nothing special) and options for smaller, more ‘snackish’ meals very limited. At lunch you only really have the choice to go into Hvar Town or eat a ‘main course’ meal at the hotel, which can be pretty expensive and not always ideal. However, it’s a different proposition at night and we had Dinner in the restaurant a couple of times and it was excellent.

Overall, my experience of Hotel Podstine is a bit of a ‘mixed bag’. The service we received from the front desk was welcoming and friendly with some great advice on things to do and any issues dealt with efficiently. However, this didn’t extend itself to other areas such as the bars, restaurents and Gym. The rooms are pretty basic for the cost but the views and balconies are fantastic (at least on the 3rd floor). The sea front setting is beautiful and relaxing but the day time food options limited. Overall, given this hotels location, it could be astonishing with some focus on these shortfalls but it feels a little bit ‘location, location, location’ whereas the price tag leads you to expect much more.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Robesi
Graz, Austria
Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

I can not comment on the hotel, the rooms, or facilities as I did not actually stay at the hotel - in previous years (since the hotel reopened after renovations) we always enjoyed an afternoon snack, coffe, or a cocktail on the terrace, overlooking the sea - we spent every September in Hvar and were always looking forward to relaxing times on their lovely terrace.

Untill September 2011: we went there with friends who we had invited for an afternoon snack and cocktails, waiters passed our table a few times, didn't even bother to clear the dirty dishes of previous customers, it was impossible to get their attention even though there was just guests at one (!) other table. After 15 minutes of waiting some other guests arrived at a table close to ours and they got service immediately - but guess what: again we were unsuccessful in getting the waiters attention! So I went into the bar area and asked if we also could have some service as well, and if our table could be cleaned. Finally, after the people which came long after us had already received their orders, the young waiter, which looked and behaved more like a bouncer, came over to us demonstratively slowly, asked very unfriendly what we wanted, only to go away to get us a menu WITHOUT taking the dirty dishes with him. When we finally received our orders he just placed them without any comment, but not without giving me a dirty look. To pay our bill I just went in to the bar as no waiter came near our table ever after, we couldn't even place orders for a second round of drinks.

Needless to say that this was the last time I had gone there. We saw that waiter often in the beach area in the late afternoons, dirtying up the place with his many cigarette butts and "being intimate" with one of the female hotel employees. I felt very uncomfortable meeting this guy at the beach almost every afternoon throughout September as he was always giving me dirty looks - I guess he was trying to provoke me, to intimitate me. This experience took away a big part of my enjoyment during that holiday - also because of this I did not go back to enjoy a nice coffe or drink on that lovely terrace this last September 2012 either - regrettfully, but I didn't want to risk another unpleasant experience like the previous year. So my this years holiday was also negatively affected by previous years bad experience.

I have read the hotel managers replies to criticisms, especially regarding service - all I can say is that my personal experience with one of their staff was the worst I ever had with service anywhere in the world, in all my life - it is my opinion that hotel management should not keep making excuses in defense of bad service, but try and be more selective who they employ, and train and supervise their staff in "modern standard customer relations".

P.S.: I did not notice this waiter around this September 2012, so perhaps service and friendlyness HAS improved, but I couldn't be bothered to find out for myself - maybe I give them another try in 2013, we'll see...

• Stayed September 2012
5 Thank Hubert H
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I'm a bit split on Podstine, although I'd give it 3.5 if I could! On the one hand the location is fantastic - right on the sea about a mile out of Hvar town centre, with a really nice 20min walk along the seafront into town.The communal and outside areas are smart, and breakfast is very good with lots of different types of food on offer. Finally the staff were all very helpful and friendly during our time there.

On the other hand the rooms themselves are less impressive. Admittedly we had the basic room, but it was relatively small and the décor and furnishings were a little tired. The bed was what I can only describe as bouncy, and as a light sleeper I was frequently woken up when my partner rolled over. Food and drink in the hotel is on the pricey side compared to what you'll pay in town.

In short then we had a great time at the Podstine and I'd happily stay again, but I hope they refurbish the rooms sooner rather than later to meet the standard of the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ed D
London, UK
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Spent a week here mid September. Liked the hotels location which was outside Hvar, there are a few different routes you can take to walk into town and it's very pleasant walk which you can do in 15 mins if you take a more direct route. The room, bathroom & balcony were a decent size. We booked a superior room with a partial sea view & had a room on the corner which turned out to have a big, lovely view of the sea.

Maid service was a bit erratic sometimes coming very early in the morning, other times not till 3 or 4pm. A very quick once over was done and several times our toiletries weren't replenished, used glasses weren't changed and same for towels. There is a gym which we used several times, it's small with one bike, one x trainer and one running machine. A tip we learned after a couple of days (& very uncomfortable workouts) is to ask them to put the air con on 10 mins before you want to use the gym, otherwise the rooms gets incredibly hot and stuffy. They could do with a water machine in the gym as well. There are jacuzzis near the pool & this spa area looks very appealing. We wanted to use them one day and could not get them to start, we called reception & were told they are on a timer and come on every 15 mins. We waited about 25-30 mins, then a receptionist came down looked at us, went away then 5 mins later they came on. We thought this was a bit poor.

The pool is small but nice, most people laze by the sea where there a load of loungers, some in shade some in the sun. The concrete area by the sea isn't the prettiest but is very relaxing and is practical with ladders down into the sea which was clear, refreshing and a lovely colour. The hotel has nice grounds with a couple of bar / snack areas. Food is very limited in the day unless you want a full on meal in the restaurant. We had fruit kebabs and saw turkey & cream (?) on the snack menu, prawn kebabs and a cheese baguette. We asked for a smoothie and were told they had stopped selling them 10 days ago, I'm not sure why they could not make one for us.

There was an almighty storm with thunder, lightening and a load of rain in the middle of the night. The ceiling in our room started leaking, when we mentioned this to staff when we left they mentioned a few rooms had this problem and didn't seem surprised or apologise.

Some staff were very good, helpful and friendly - notably some of those on reception. Unfortunately a lot of the others were cold and didn't give a good level of service. This is true of the gym / spa area where the staff just sit on the internet looking glum and some of the wait /bar staff. I had considered getting a massage or treatment but the thought of it probably being that person or someone similar doing the treatment put me off. I have seen responses from the hotel to some other reviewers comments on service saying this is something they pride themselves on but our experience was that this is not consistently the case.

We booked via i-escape and part of the deal was a free upgrade on arrival (subject to availability) or a bottle of wine for stays of more than 4 days. We were there for a week and it was disappointing we had to bring this up with them on day 5 and ask whether we were able to get the wine. I would have hoped they had this in their records and would take care of it.

Breakfast was fine, dinner one night was not so good - quite heavy and old fashioned food. There are much better options in town, notably Dalmatino which was our favourite place which we went to a couple of times, Divino was also very good.

The stay was ok overall, however there were a number of gripes and given the cost of this hotel I think it needs do better and give guests the feeling of being in a true 4 star hotel. The hotel has a great location & grounds, much better than the other hotels we saw in Hvar and I think with a bit more effort this could be an amazing place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends