“Great place but read on.....”

Amfora Hvar Grand Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Hvar
Reviewed August 7, 2010

First of all this is a good hotel! Yes, if you read the reviews there are negatives but it depends when you go and what you are expecting. The rooms are small but not cramped and who wants to be indoors all day? The beach is crowed and the sun loungers are so close you cannot put two feet between them but the beach is not owned by the hotel so anyone can turn up......and they do. Sunloungers on the beach cost Kn40 each. The pool is really good and well laid out but you have to be down by 8.00am to get a towel to reserve your sunlounger. Believe me when I say that there is a queue of about 5-8 people each day at 8.ooam! The staff are courteous and smile and there are a lot of them so things get down quite quickly. The hotel is in a great location with only a 10 minute stroll to the port which is really pretty. If you want peace and tranquility hire a boat and hop to another island close by. The "Bonj le Bains" Spa next door to the hotel sells 2 sunloungers + umbrella for Kn 600 a day. Yes, that's right......nearly €83 a day!

Food is mostly good but try to find the Marinero Restaurant tucked up and behind the main port area. Really good simple fish restaurant with decent prices. No big menu but what they do they do well. There was always a queue by 8.30pm.

Do NOT take a day trip on the Vagabondo Boat to Bol/Bric as puched by the holiday rep. They said it would take 90 minutes and it took over 2 hours. We were shoe-horned into a boat and packed like sardines. I had to stand for most of the way. When we got there we found 1,000's of other people packing the beach. Yes, we got lunch but at Kn 250 that's a very expensive ferry with lunch.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Amfora Hvar Grand Beach Resort

Reviewed August 6, 2010

Hotel was beautiful and luxurious. Execellent accomodations, food and pool area. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 4, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay here. The hotel is exceptionally big (it took us 10 mins to walk to our room from the pool) and it's not very well laid out (you have to carry your suitcase up a flight of stairs to get to reception) but the pool area is very nice (lay your towel out EARLY) and the rooms were clean and swish. We paid 100 pounds per night for a double room, given the prices for other places on the island we thought this was great! Also a real bonus having a pool - the beach for Hvar town is tiny. The walk into town is about 8 mins along a nice, well lit walkway.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2010

We where told that Hotel Amfora is family firendly place and made for children. It took us 20 hours to get there as transport to Island of Hvar is very disorganised and a complete rip off. Organise your own and do not use agencys such as Hidden Croatia that will giv eyou flase information and charge you for private transfer but place you on a boat with 150 passengers. In short Hotel Amfora was not able to provide any food for a baby of 9 months. They didnt even have a tool to mash food. Hotel manger told me he asked the stuff to buy one after I burst into tears but it never happend. Things got so bad that my baby didnt eat for 2 days except for the milk. Local shop didnt store any food for babies so I had to think of the way of getting out of the island. I ended up paying thousands of Euros to get my family of the island and back to civilasation. Rooms at the hotel are very dirty and housekeeping is the worst I have ever come accross. My baby is crawling at the moment and floors need to be hoovered daily. I explained this to the hotle managment after we got into the room and found dirty knickers on the sofa and another pair on the balcony. They promissed to give the room a clean. Next morning my baby picke dup a white tablet of some sort of the floor and nearly swlloved it. Nedless to say houskeeping never bothered to hoover or clean up. We where given 1 towel per person. I would expect at least couple considering the price they charge for this pig house. The pool was dirty and rubbish was floating on the top. Stuff are miserable and no hapy with the managment. When we tried to seek help from the members of stuff they would just shake their head and point us in mangment direction. They would however say that they hear complaints like ours all the time and that they are leaving the hotle as they where so sick of the place and all its faults. Rooms are small, dirty and most have really bad views. Our room looked out on to the wall of sombodys house and their dogs would bark all night long. We where told that our room was one of the best ones in the hotel!! Now that is scary!!
Food was old and dry and boring. Place was dirty,stuff was moody and pool was dirty. Beach was a very small patch crowded with locals,boats and urcins. We left on a boat even though it was severe wind. We where on the sea for 4 hours due to strong wind but we had to get out of this island. It was like being in a scary movie. I was lucky to know somebody in Croatia who heped me to get out of there. Hotel tried to charge me 1000 euro more than local person for a transfer out of the hell island. We had to get new airline tickets too so it really did turn into a nightmare.
Please dont go there and cancel your booking even if you paid money. You will just end up loosing even more money and have horrible time. I thank my lucky starts that my baby didnt swallow the pill or got ill from luck of food. It really is this BAD!!

I spoke to Hidden Croatia who reassured me that they are aware of the problem with the Hotle. Now they tell me!! Dont use them either. Their stuff knows nothing about the holidays they are selling.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Ani035
Reviewed August 3, 2010

We stayed at the Hotel for 3 nights at the end of July. We were travelling the islands of Croatia on a bit of a budget, but as it was my 30th birthday when we were in Hvar, we decided to splash out and treat ourselves to some luxury and we weren't disappointed. Prior to leaving i had read some of the reviews and was a little bit apprehensive about to what to expect. I need not have worried. We arrived at the main port and having taken the bus into Hvar town we made the short walk to the Hotel. We were greeted with a fantastic pool complex, and although there were quite a few steps from the pool to the reception a passing member of staff kindly offered to carry my bag for me, and didn't expect to be tipped for doing it either. The reception area was cool, light, spacious and offered fantastic views over the pool are and the whole of the bay. The reception area was busy but then it was the peak season and so there were a lot of guests checking in and out. After a short wait we were dealt with by a very friendly member of staff who dealt with us quickly and efficiently. Our room was fantastic, we would have liked to have had a view over the pool area rather than the gardens but we found that it was lovely and quiet, private, and and as the sun was on the other side of the hotel it provided some much needed shade from the 30+ degree heat. Our room was spotlessly clean, decorated tastefully and of the quality you would expect from a boutique hotel. The rooms weren't massive but quite how big do 2 people need a room?! But there was plenty of hanging space for clothes and places to store my other bits and bob's. The bathroom was stocked with goodies, and a good powerful shower. The square toilet was odd but quite quirky nonetheless. There is a free security box in the room, and the air con which seems to be controlled automatically by the hotel was kept at a comfortable temperature, even though it did turn it self off one night for some unknown reason. There are computers which you are able to use which are free of charge, and when the hotel's server was down we simply went along to the Adriana, which is in the same chain of hotels, to use theirs. A really nice unexpected touch was that when i returned to my room from a day by the pool on my birthday, i discovered that the hotel had left me a birthday cake, with a Happy Birthday meassage attached. The hotel provides pool towels free of charge, and although it was busy we had no problem finding a sunlounger. We did note that towels were left on the sunloungers and that no one seemed to use them for the majority of the day, but that can be a problem at any hotel complex you go to. We were aware from reading previous reviews that residents from other hotels within the chain are allowed to use the pool facilities, although we did overhear a member of staff telling residents from another hotel that they were not allowed to use the sunloungers because the hotel was busy. Everything was within a short walking distance with many bars and restaurants. Prices weren't as high as we as expected. Service in some of the restaurants and bars was a bit hit and miss, we were kept waiting on occassions for someone to take our order and to bring us our drinks, but other than that no complaints. All in all it was a fabulous 3 nights, at both the Hotel and Hvar itself. I would definatley go back and certainly recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2010

I was really surprised how nice hotel one can find in Croatia. Hotel has an excellent location directly on the beach; cozy rooms are equipped with feeling for details, friendly staff… nothing wrong on our holiday. What I can recommend is a dinner on Bonj les bains beach, where fresh fish, good bottle of wine and sunset behind is a real romantic experience

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2010

The Amfora is located at the head of it's own bay just 5 or 10 minutes walk from Hvar town. We stayed for 3 nights as part of a longer trip to the area The location couldn't be better and views over the bay from the bar and restaurant are memorable. On the downside, geting your luggage to and from the hotel is awkward. The hotel normally meet the incoming ferries and take cases without charge to the reception but you may wait a while before your case turns up.
Rooms are clean and very modern. The wardrobes and bathroom looked great at first but some features became annoying after a few days. The rest of the hotel was very clean and modern but also very large which made trips from the room to the pool or restaurant a bit of a journey with plenty of stairs and elevators.
If you have children, you'll love the pool area but be warned that despite notices to the contrary, guests get up a dawn to reserve loungers for the day. There are far more guests than loungers so be prepared. Also note that none of the great views are available from the pool area!
If you have no children and are keen to live it up, Hvar town is a very easy walk and there are plenty of restaurants, bars and clubs. Great for people watching with some of the largest yachts we've ever seen (including the south of France).
No kids? Not keen on the all night party? Go no further than Bonj les bains. We had a terrific day here. It sounds pricey but it's a snip compared to France and very relaxing, great swimming, good restaurant and very good service for anything else through the day. Make sure you rent a cabana as well as the day beds and try the morning yoga classes as well (my wife says).
Disappointingly, general levels of service and politeness in the hotel were poor. Breakfast especially was chaos and staff downright rude when we asked for any assistance with clearing the tables etc. There were exceptions but we found the Croatian service levels well below the norm for Europe in general and significantly below the typical level in the US.
If you're not into the pool thing, you might try the sister hotel the Adriana. You can use all the same facilities at the Bonj etc but with a smaller scale feel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple