“Very Good-once you relax and just accept some of the flaws...”

Amfora Hvar Grand Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Hvar
Los Angeles, California
“Very Good-once you relax and just accept some of the flaws...”
Reviewed July 13, 2009

My husband, 5 year old daughter and I stayed here for five nights at the beginning of July. Prior to arriving, we stayed at the Dubronik Palace in Dubrovnik. I was a little concerned about the quality of the Amfora after someone who worked at the Dubrovnik Palace told me that the Amfora was only OK and very much a four star not a five star. This really worried me because the Dubrovnik Palace is rated a five star and is really a four star so I was wondering what we were getting ouselves into.

This is not a luxury resort, however, we wanted to stay at a resort and I think this was the best choice on the island. At first, I really didn't like it. We had a 2 bedroom suite and I felt it was just too basic but it actually turned out to be very comfortable. The pool area is a mad house and they give you one skimpy little towel that you have to return to get your "towel card" back at the end of the day. If you are accustomed to the pool man who sets up a chaise with several towels and them comes checking on you to see if you want something to drink/eat, you aren't going to find that here. However, the "beach club" is really lovely. Suites include a set-up there with chaises and towels and a little cabana. (Which, by the way, is a fantastic place for a child/baby to take a nap while mom and dad relax in the sun.) If you don't have a suite you can pay extra to have the same set up...The service here is more like what I expect at a resort.

My daughter had a blast at the hotel. She must have gone down the pool slide 100 times during our stay. The free daytime "kids club" has very short hours but is staffed by two wonderful young woman. FYI to parents: you can't arrange babysitting at the hotel. You can however, arrange to bring your child to the "kids club" in the evening though. It is very expensive (for the eveing hours) but your child will be well cared for.

The concierge was fantastic as was all of the other service. The food on Hvar was both better and more expensive than I expected. All in all, we had a wonderful, if not luxurious, experience. The truth is, Hvar is really worth a visit and this is the best choice for a family resort on the island. There are "high design" hotels in Hvar town that are rated higher but they don't have resort facilities.

Croatia is so beautiful. If only Aman would build a resort there...

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 12, 2009

I would certainly stay here again. the pool scene was great, there was really nothing I didn't like. The service was good, the 10 minute walk to the harbor was never a problem.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed July 11, 2009

The Amfora tries to sell you on it's great 4 star rating, however, it's more like a 2-3 Star Property.

Pool - Full of moss. The swim up bar is disgusting. Moss growing literally on the seats. NO ONE sat there. No music at the pool with the exception of a soft radio from time to time. Very limited menu for drinks and food. Kid and adult pool, however, the children overtook all of the pools. Moss growing in the bottom of the pool. Light chlorine. Not enough pool loungers. You had to be up at 7AM to get a chair every day.

Beach - No beach access via hotel. They gated their previous access. Must leave property and go to paid private beach club for $100 USD per day for 2 chairs OR go to public beach which was overcrowded and you must pay for chair.

Spa - They say their is a spa onsite. You have to leave and go to the private beach club for outdoor massages or go to the full service spa in the city at the sister hotel the Adriana.

Food - SUCKED!! Free breakfast, but sick most days. VEry limited, orange eggs, sausages, juice, some fruit cocktail (canned), tomatoes, breads.

Rooms - SUPER SMALL, not worth the money. Be careful of the rooms with a view. Ask very detailed questions. More spacious rooms are WAY MORE MONEY, however, you get free access to the private beach club. One nice perk was 10% off food and beverage at sister hotels. No top sheet on beds.

Transport - Shuttle van, pre-booked and they lose your reservations OFTEN. We and other guests had MAJOR problems with this.

Clean - the rooms were very clean and the overall hotel was well maintained with the exception of the pool.

Activities - Check the times before you book. We did ZERO tours since most were out of season and only ran twice weekly.

Room service stops at 11PM and you have to call to have mini-bar restocked.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Eneetra
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed July 2, 2009

This is a hard place to hate - in fact, it's modern and lovely as all the reviews suggest. What it boils down to is that it just is NOT worth the money. The rooms are small. Many have terrible views of the top of the ugly roof of the front building - and they still call it a 'sea view' room. I got so unnerved by how little we were getting for our 400 dollars a night, that I started a list. Upon check-in, they gave us one of those horrible little bad-view rooms but my friend pitched a fit and they gave us a nicer one. The power was off in the entire hotel for one of our three days. The place is so big, your room might be about 3 blocks from the main part of the hotel. You are rationed sad little scratchy pool-towels one at a time. We were in a triple, but gave us no sheets for the third bed.(ever waited for sheets & bedding at 1 am?) Minibar wasn't cold in the least. Again, these are not huge problems. But when you pay 400 a night you'd think they'd be making a bit more effort. The good stuff: the food was pretty good, the pool area is gorgeous- much prettier than the photos show, and the rooms are comfortable (after the sofa bed is put away!) Net-net is this: Suncani Hvar (the management company that owns the hotel) has gotten greedy and has lost track of what 300 Euros a night will buy in the rest of Europe. (We moved on to Italy and had a knock-out room in Florence for 180 Euros a night) I know they are having financial trouble, but overcharging for hotels is no solution to the problem.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank azoomi
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 29, 2009

I did not care for this hotel, but let me explain where I am coming from. My husband and I are 30 and have traveled around the world and generally like to stay in nice resorts in the beachy places. JayWay helped us arrange this trip (highly recommend him) and suggested staying in apartments as they are more common and a better value in Croatia. We had never done this before, so we decided on an apartment for our week in Dubrovnik and the Amfora for our week in Hvar to try out both options. Well, we LOVED our Dubrovnik apartments.. not that it was anything fancy, but it gave us a real local feel, the owner was great, there were more personal touches, and it just felt homey. We loved having the fridge and a kitchen also. We loved it so much that the Amfora just felt too large and impersonal to us.

We did get a good deal on the Amfora as we booked under the buy 2 nights get 1 free summer special so it worked out to something just over 100 euros/night. We got the superior room in the north wing with the "park view" which was really a view of the rooftop.. not a big deal. It was spacious enough but it took the air conditioning a few days to really kick in (we called the first night when it wasn't cooling down and they said they would look into it) and the bed was a little too hard for me. The hotel layout is really strange and took us a while to figure out how to get to our room. Breakfast was included but the selection of foods was not great. We had drinks one night on the patio and the service was awful.. took 20 minutes to get 2 glasses of wine but then again I thought service all over Croatia was spotty. Sure, their pool is really pretty but what I realized is, I had no desire to use it! Why sit around at a swimming pool when you are in beautiful Croatia?!??! You are surrounded by crystal clear sea and the neighboring islands.. with so much to see and do, the pool was the last place I wanted to be. Good thing, because one morning around 11am as we were leaving the property, we passed the pool towel desk we heard the attendant telling people the pool was full already, no chairs left. And June is supposedly low season... AND the weather was a bit rainy/cloudy last week. So I could not imagine in high season. The walk was about 10 minutes to Old Town.. it was a nice walk when it wasn't raining.

The BEST part was its proximity to the Hula Hula Beach Club (Bubba Gumps). We LOVED this place and the owner, Wolf, is awesome. So overall, the Amfora was just okay, nothing special. It is just my personal preference though that I would have liked to stay in an apartment closer to Old Town if I could do it all over.. as a better way to really experience Croatia.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Birdie425
UK
Reviewed June 26, 2009

Hotel is recently refurbished from old style communist concrete structure - but sits well in newly landscaped gardens and is refitted to the now standard, minimalist (but easy to clean) interior design (ie weird rectangular scandinavian plumbing fixtures etc). Unfortunately the complete absence of fabrics anywhere means that it can be noisy as people (with hard shoes) walk back to their rooms at night.
Rooms are compact - but pay for the seaview - it is spectacular and quite the hotels strongest aspect.
As another traveller remarks, finding your room will require a GPS, a map, sextant and an indian tracker as the signage is bizarrely confusing and there is no logic to the construction.
Everywhere was extremely clean and staff were smart, polite and friendly in the central european tradition.
Breakfast was to usual continental european buffet standards - bread was home baked.
Pool was imaginatively laid out - caribbean style with a balcony style view over the sea.
The quirks:- dont bother with concierge's boat hire - the prices are 300% above the local market rate for no good reason and there is an excellent hire outfit "Sego" with a stall just on the boardwalk outside the hotel. The other issue is the poolside snackbar - totally dreadful - service is glacial and the menu is a distant approximation to what is actually available (usually very little) - it seems that drinks are all that they want to serve.
other than these two issues - recommended !!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
croatia
Reviewed June 25, 2009

Rooms OK, clean but some are very hard and complicated to reach as the hotel is made on few levels.
reception service is OK, but for the rooms I had to call 2 days in a row to ask for toilette paper as somebody forgot to put it in my room + the shower was also forgotton in my room.
Lack of choice for the breakfast. It is dull, after 2nd morning you want to see something on the buffet table.
The other things were OK in the hotel, the surrounding was beautifull

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business