“One of the best meals I've had in Croatia”
Review of Giaxa

Giaxa
Ranked #13 of 144 Restaurants in Hvar
Cuisines: Croatian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 11, 2013

As a former resident of Hvar, returning to the old stomping grounds, I was very pleasantly surprised to come across this restaurant.

We ventured in search of another restaurant on the same street for lunch one day and came across Giaxa. I am definitely going to head back there when I get a chance. This was one of the best dining experiences on Hvar to date.

My wife and I shared a late afternoon lunch. Restaurant is located on one of the quiet old city streets (or alleys... whatever you want to call them). You can sit inside or outside, but on a hot summer day, I recommend sitting in the shade outside while the afternoon breeze comes down the street.

Prosciutto ravioli with black truffle sauce were excellent, but for me Hvarska Gregada was really amazing. This is a seafood dish cooked by old grandmas in Hvar. Simply something local and authentic that should not be missed during your visit to Hvar.

This restaurant is perhaps one of the pricier ones in Hvar, but compared to global standards, you are still getting a pretty good deal. If you want a really good meal, they have a daily set menu which seems to be pretty good deal.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Friendly service, quality food, warm atmosphere but not overly formal. Great for couples and friends. Best to reserve with 20 or 22 o'clock sitting.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Giaxa is a beautiful restaurant with top class food and wine. Great menu from amazing truffle ravioli starters (and other exotic things your mind can only imagine) and wonderful fresh fish dishes. I was starting to lose faith in Croatian restaurants but Giaxa really is an experience.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Really nice restaurant in the center of an old city. The best time to visit it is between lunch and dinner or to make a reservation to be sure to have place. Very kindly and friendly staff, reasonable prices (specially for wine Tignanello Antinori which usually cost less than 100 euro) and original recipes... If you want to try old plates from this island, I recommend delicious "pasticada" (beef with specific sauce of plum) or "gregada" (traditional Hvar fish). Also they have original desserts which are mixes of old and modern recipes... If you are want try old and modern dalmatian food with croatian and international wine list for reasonable prices, this is place for you!

1  Thank RankoLipert
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We had the grilled lobster and the lobster with spaghetti (the better choice though both were good) with a bottle of Posip wine. We also each had an appetizer and therein lies the reason for 4 stars instead of 5. My appetizer was the shrimp tempura and it came as one square block of tempura. Inside, as I discovered on my first bite, was "all" of the shrimp, including the tails. Usually tempura leaves the tails out so you don't accidentally eat it and when I questioned the waiter he explained it is meant to be that way. I can't speak for others but I don't want to eat the shells to shrimp and having them buried in the tempura made it impossible for me to really eat any of the appetizer.

I still gave it 4 stars as to call the restaurant average would not be fair as the rest of the meal, which was of the quality you would expect with nice presentation. The location is also charming but be sure to swing by a few hours before you want to eat and make a reservation.

1  Thank Calendar21PDX