“Luka's Lodge -- Paradise by the sea”
Review of Luka's Lodge

Luka's Lodge
Ranked #8 of 169 Specialty Lodging in Hvar
Reviewed June 29, 2010

If Hvar is paradise (and it's pretty close), the Luka Viskovic is the god of hospitality. No request is too large or small. He goes out of his way to ensure that you have a great time at his hostel/lodge/apartments and that includes jumping into his car and taking you up to the fort on top of the mountain or to a nearby town. He not only cooked fresh sardines for us on his outdoor grill, he showed us how to eat them easily. He's also good at recommending restaurants and rooftop lounges with fabulous food and views. And his homemade wine is better than most of the stuff I pay for dearly in the states. Go to Hvar. Forget the impersonal hotels. Find Luka. Find a friend for life. You won't be sorry.

Stayed: June 2010

Reviewed June 24, 2010

Luka's Lodge is situated very nicely just a short walking distance from the downtown harbour area. Ask Luka to arrange barbeque and try his home-made wine!. Luka is very nice guy who is passionate for his job and is more than willing to help You if You need some advice or just want to talk nearly about anything.

Luka's Lodge is only about 30 meters from the more known green lizard hostel(in Lonely Planet). Luka's is the choice that I was very lucky to find! I bet the price won't turn You away either! Seriously recommended!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2010

Not enough words to describe this host and his wonderful house. A definite MUST. Read the review from the cry baby from Canada ... all i can think it must have been "that time of the month" for him, or he "did not get any" on this trip. Great place, incredible hospitality You decide and see with whom you agree: Me, or the cry baby.

Johan Yssel
Pittsburgh, PA

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 9, 2009

We stayed at Luka's for just one night recently while travelling throughout all of Croatia, and I hate to give Luka a bad review because he is a nice guy, but I rely on reviews when making my bookings so I feel I have to be honest and fair - with all the accomodation choices in Hvar, i would not stay here again! In fact, when travelling anywhere in Croatia, you can walk off the ferry or bus and have 10 people offer you a room to rent so it's a buyer's market...
We had to catch the ferry from Korcula, which put us in Hvar at 7:30 am. We had emailed Luka to see if we could check in, and he replied no problem, head straight over. When we got there, he invited us to sit on the porch and then he shuffled papers around and made all kinds of small talk and we weren't sure if he was trying to make us sit there until the other guests checked out at 11. All we wanted was to get in our room and take a nap since we had been at the ferry terminal at 5 am! Finally we told him that we were really tired and wanted to take a nap. He said no problem, but he would have to give us a room in his cousin's house next door because his rooms were still full. That was fine with us and we started to settle payment. We didn't have exact change so Luka went inside looking for change and came back out saying that he didn't have change but he would give it to us later. His cousin came by and he asked if he had change but he didn't either, so he again said to come back later. He continued talking about all kinds of other things and finally took us to the other house, saying to "come and pay him later" which confused us.
In the evening, my husband went over to Luka's and got our change, and then the next morning Luka came knocking on the door saying we hadn't paid him yet! I spent the next 10 minutes saying that we had paid, and he kept saying no, he gave us our money back because he didn't have change and didn't want to keep our money so we were supposed to pay him later and he wrote that in his papers. I kept telling him that he never gave us the money back and he replied "ok, i don't want to argue with you because 250 kuna is not that big of a deal to me, but what I wrote down is that you no pay me yet" I felt really insulted that he was insinuating that I was lying about paying him and the whole conversation left me really upset because I didn't have a way to prove he kept our money - I just know i saw him put it in his wallet! I mean, if we were being sneaky and trying to get away with not paying, would we really have gone over there at night and asked for our change too???
Apart from this, everything about the room was great - I'm actually really glad we got to stay at the cousin's house because it meant we had our own private kitchen and bathroom. If there was a way to just book this apartment without dealing with Luka again (he is nice, but after this incident, I can't trust him), I would do so. Only thing is, there is no AC, as another reviewer has mentioned. And again, for 40 euro a night, you can get an assortment of rooms/apartments, so I wouldn't come here just for the affordability.
If you're going to stay at Luka's, make sure you bring exact change and make him mark down when you pay!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Scar604
Reviewed September 7, 2009

I have read the reviews of Luka's Lodge and booked it based on this fact. The location was great, Luka was lovely and the place was very cheap, however if I went back to Hvar I would stay elsewhere. The main negative of this place was the lack of air conditioning - which in August is unbearable. We did not sleep very well at all. If money is your sole motivating factor, I'd stay here - but otherwise Hvar is a resort style place and I would have preferred to stay somewhere more comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ESG2009
Reviewed July 27, 2009

If you are going to Hvar, you have to stay at Luka's Lodge. It is by far the best hostel in Hvar. I don't even want to call it a hostel because that does not do it a justice. Luka is the most accommodating person, and he goes out of his way to ensure that you have a great time. He even drove us to a private beach one day and cooked us dinner.The location was perfect, very close to the beach (about five minute walk) and the ferry stop. The rooms were very nice and clean (most had air conditioning). The free wireless internet is a plus. I would recommend Luka's Lodge to anyone. It is a great place if your traveling alone because you meet so many people, and its great if your traveling in a group as well (we had 10 people).

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 5, 2009

We have just returned from a 11 day trip to Croatia......and Hvar was my favourite place.

Lukas Lodge was brilliant, perfect position and a brilliant host. The rooms were large and clean and Luka couldnt have been more helpful.

He even took us to the ferry port at a silly hour in the morning.

We couldnt have enjoyed it any more, and would recommend Lukas accomodation to everyone.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple