“Nice restaurant, great location but definitely not worth the hype”

Restaurant Park Hvar
Ranked #13 of 133 Restaurants in Hvar
Cuisines: Mediterranean, European, Croatian, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Enjoy romance and amazing cuisine at Park, a charming restaurant located in the center of Hvar town. With a terrace surrounded by flower gardens & jasmines, Park has breathtaking views overlooking Hvar Port, the Main Square, and the Pakleni islands; Ideal for romance and a special occasion. We’ll make sure the experience is something special! A wonderful location, elegant service and large tables, make Park ideal for special group occasions; refined Restaurant Park can accommodate groups of any size: large family dining, groups of friends, cocktail parties, wedding receptions and other events. Our cozy terrace can fit up to 95 guests, and close indoor restaurant up to 55 guests. Park Restaurant has two dining areas: the indoor main restaurant & the famous terrace with special cooling system for the hot summer time. For a special occasion to remember, you can’t go wrong at Park.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice restaurant, great location but definitely not worth the hype”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

Me and my boyfriend went to the Park last night for dinner after reading all of the great reviews. I have to say it was distinctly average and definitely not worth the money. The gardens and location are both great as mentioned by others but the food was a let down.

We had the Pag cheese and Prosciutto to start which was tasty but no better than anywhere else you can get it in Croatia (just about everywhere) for much less.

For main I had the lamb skewers which were fatty and bland, with little or no seasoning which left a nasty kebab like taste in my mouth. My boyfriend had the beef pepper steaks which were better, but the potato croquettes were extremely dry like they had been reheated in the microwave. We ordered some cheese croquettes on the side but these were the same so we left them. We did visit quite late (around 9.30) so the atmosphere was non existent as there were only 2 tables in which I realise was not the restaurant's fault but I can't help thinking we were given the reheated left overs from the day.

On the plus side the house red wine was really good and not too expensive.

We went to the Park for a holiday treat after reading so much about it but I have to say I'd rather we saved our money and had an average meal elsewhere.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank quick_reviewer
Nađa V, General Manager at Restaurant Park Hvar, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you had not so good experience with us.

The night you visited us there were 2 large groups starting with dinner at about 19:00 and at the time you came, most of people were slowly leaving so atmosphere become more quiet.

Anyhow it is my obligation to explain the food preparation in our restaurant:
Restaurant Park opens at 18:00pm, and as like in all ala card restaurants, each dish is prepared individually. Croquettes were prepared only for your portion which excludes any reheating solution. Also I am not sure what would be like to reheat a croquette and how would that looked? Lamb skewers are made of lamb from Croatian local farming , and if you haven't tasted lamb before (especially domestic one) than the taste could be a bit different and more intensive. Also lamb is actually more "fatty meat" as in about 100g of lamb there is around 279Kcal from which i18 is protein and about 21 fat.
After telling this few simple facts, at the and I have to also mention that kitchen doors are always open so any guest can watch food preparation and observe the high standards of treatment any of the ingredients. And that for sure excludes reheating or reminds existence.

Regards,

Nadja Vukasovic

• Polish first
Frankfurt, Germany
“Better is impossible ! Visit this place !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

What to say about this restaurant?! Title says it all-better is impossible ! Menu with a great list of meals(fish,meat,soups,salads,vegetarian dishes,desserts...). We have been twice for dinner at the Park Restaurant during our vacation in Hvar. Our waiter Ferdo was amazing. He speaks excellent German and he helped us a lot about food,drink and about everything else( how to get to the fortress,where are the best beaches, telling the story of the history of Hvar in which our children enjoyed...). This is just part of the great atmosphere at the Park Restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Marian I I
Graz, Austria
“Very unfortunate :-(”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

One star is for the fact that we walked the steps up to the restaurant only to find out at the entrance to the terrace that they have (yet again) a "private party". I think this would have to be the 20th time that we went to Park with high expectations, looking forward to a wonderful evening, only to be turned away right at the entrance. This is disappointing and frustrating, and I had allready asked their management to at least put up a sign at the bottom of the stairs if they have "weddings, private parties, etc." - they promised to do this - unfortunately they didn't follow through with it.

So, the one star is for the disappointment and for the frustration of not being able to enjoy their beautiful terrace, their excellent food and (otherwise) great service, for not keeping their promise, and for having (yet again) walked up the stairs and not be informed about a "private party" earlier.

Otherwise this would have been a FIVE STAR review for sure! Thanks for nothing :-(

Visited September 2013
Nađa V, General Manager at Restaurant Park Hvar, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Mr Hubert,

I am really sorry that you could not have dinner in restaurant as there was a wedding party in Restaurant Park.
Anyhow what surprise me is that you wrote there was no sign! There were 4 signs! 1 at the entrance of restaurant on the top of the stairs and 3 in front of Central Park Club at the bottom of the stairs. Also the day before we had a sign in Restaurant Park telling that "tomorrow we will have a private party".

But the problem is this: YOU DID NOT HAVE DINNER IN RESTAURANT PARK because we were fully booked and you give us review according to that???
Please notice that you CAN NOT review the restaurant if have not been in the restaurant! This is ILLEGAL thing to do, and you send wrong information to other customers.
If you call us in advance to made reservation we would inform you that restaurant is full and that we do not accept reservations. No matter is it a wedding party or regular night if there is no available space in the restaurant we can not put you in if you did not made reservation.

Kind regards,

Nadja Vukasovic
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Second to none service with food, wine and setting to match - atmospheric and romantic in spades!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

It is my third trip to Hvar and I have sampled many lovely pizza/fish/meat restraunts here which I wouldn't grumble about. How I hadn't stumbled across The Park in my previous two visits I do not know as it is right slap bang in the heart of the old town with views across the harbour. Having had to walk out of San Marco (two down from it) before the menus had even arrived due to sheer ignorant 'non service' we were welcomed at The Park by friendly and efficient staff and were seated at a table overlooking the harbour. Food and wine were amazing and reasonably priced and a lot of thought had gone into the decor and presentation of the venue and food alike. This place has a real air of simple elegance and leaves you feeling spoilt without being at all pretentious. Bravo!!!!!!!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Stuartjack
“Heaven on earth!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

If you are looking for a quiet oasis of culinary delights, then this is the right place for you. The combination of the masterful culinary work with fresh ingrediants and amazing mediterranean atmosphere will leave you breathless and wanting more. It's absolutely heaven on earth and "a must see" stop on your vacation.

• Visited August 2013