“Went with a group”

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood, Central European, Croatian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Amazing food! Fish served with polenta was amazing. Escargot cooked with potatoes was an equally amazing dish.
All of us had a wonderful meal. Thank you

2  Thank mmandpiper

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We ate here on our second night in Hvar, it was early evening around 7 and when we arrived a lot of the tables were reserved. The food was great, we had the tasting menu and both enjoyed it. It was comfortably the most expensive meal we had in Croatia but it was one of the best

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We ate here on a one night stop in Hvar town and thought that the lobster menu with soup and other lobster dishes looked very attractive. The reality was very little lobster and some pretty uninspiring uses of it to make it up to 5 courses. The meal started with a rather unpleasant amuse bouche and went downhill from there onwards.
We now wish that we had eaten at the Lucullus opposite.

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I came across Golden Shell by accident, I was trying to go to the restaurant across the street/alley and spoke to their hostess thinking that she was looking after the restaurant Iwanted to eat at. The menu and the setting looked good though so I stayed figuring I still had one night left to go to the other place.

I wasn't terribly hungry so I ordered an a la carte dish (spaghetti with smoked ham) which was delicious and the service I received was the best I had in the entire country! My only disappointment was that I wasn't hungry enough to try one of the chefs menus.

The next night one of the chefs menus was still on my mind (Silence of the Lamb, a six course lamb based menu) so I couldn't help but go back. It was hands down the single best dining experience I've had in a long time, and I have several close friends who own or manage high end restaurants so I don't say that lightly. It was so good that I was taking pictures of each dish and sending then back to friends just to make them jealous. On top of the amazing meal I felt so welcomed by everyone there and was telly treated exceptionally well.

There is not a single thing I would change about my experience there and I would strongly recommend that anyone traveling to Hvar make sure they don't miss out on this!

2  Thank Christy D
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

The food was average, with a limited choice. However, great local wine.

The place was highly recommended by a friend, but it seems standards have slipped with nothing specially jumping out from the menu and even less from the dishes ordered.