“Disappointed - but saved by the great local wine”
Review of Golden Shell

Golden Shell
Ranked #33 of 139 Restaurants in Hvar
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood, Central European, Croatian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Bangkok, Thailand
“Disappointed - but saved by the great local wine”
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

The food was average, with a limited choice. However, great local wine.

The place was highly recommended by a friend, but it seems standards have slipped with nothing specially jumping out from the menu and even less from the dishes ordered.

• Visited August 2013

• Korean first
York, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This was recommended to us and we enjoyed our meal but there is no air conditioning as it is an outside garden and there is no non smoking area. The decor was interesting and when we arrived there wasonly 1 other table and they were smoking. We asked if there was a non smoking area which there wasn't but they asked the other people to stop smoning and this happened. We debated for a long time about what to choose and our waiter was very attentive and helpful. We eventually decided on a fish dish each. My sea bass in saffron was very well presented and very tasty. My husband's sea bass was also well cooked and very tasty. We had dessert which when arrived had nuts with it and as I have a nut allergy this was not good. However, they were very willing to offer an alternative. We enjoyed our meal but I am not sure that I would return.

• Visited August 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
“Try something else...”
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We read the reviews here and were so excited about our meal here. We did a tasting menu ic fish and meat. The first two courses were good, but went downhill from there. We had a curried lamb dish that was so greasy I could see it floating on the plate. The service was attentive, but weird to say the least!!! If I had to do over again, no way would I return!!

• Visited May 2013
Oakland, CA
“Check your bill carefully”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We had dinner at the Golden Shell based on the description in a guidebook. The food was very good and the service was excellent, except that our bill had an extra charge for a main course. It took a careful review to notice it as the listing was in Croatian. The server seemed genuinely surprised, but we had to wonder if it was a regular practice since it's a tourist town. We just noticed another recent review mentioned the same problem; so, we were motivated to add this review.

• Visited June 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Okay But Just Okay”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We'd read some great reviews of this place (on TA and in our guidebook) and so were expecting a lot but we ended up pretty disappointed since we thought it was just okay but no more than that. I think it suffers a bit from focusing on style over substance. The menu, while nice enough, is not notably dissimilar to other restaurants nearby; we certainly didn't see much evidence of any rethinking of traditional cuisine or strict adherence to local ingredients (such as we've seen in other "slow food" places around Italy and Spain). I suspect that they're maybe using the slow food label to justify their higher prices for the more gullible members of the yachting crowd. In particular, my lobster dish was pretty poor quality and my wife's sirloin skewer was very ordinary indeed. It was very quiet when we visited with just a couple of other tables occupied. It's a little oddly decorated albeit comfortable enough inside and the waiters were reasonably pleasant and knowledgeable. I know it's a bit of a general problem in Croatian eateries but the portion sizes, particularly for the starters, are really un-appetizingly over-large. So not particularly recommended to be honest, there are plenty of other better value places to choose from.

• Visited June 2013