“Lovely people, Great food, great atmosphere.”
Review of Golden Shell

Golden Shell
Ranked #27 of 143 Restaurants in Hvar
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood, Central European, Croatian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Family run restaurant. We were served by the son who had a great knowledge of the food served and very witty sense of humour. The mix of flavors was fantastic and the food was perfectly cooked. Our favorite restaurant in Hvar after a two week stay.

1  Thank Niall H

Reviewed August 20, 2012

This family owned and run establishment is committed to the slow food movement. Fresh and unbelievably flavorful food, great wine recommendations with a very friendly and attentive staff all in an open air courtyard....one of the best dining experiences we've had in our time in Croatia.....

2  Thank GarbervilleMetzClan
Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

We were excited to try all their different menues,But all of them dissapointed us. The tastes was not combined in a good way, and we could not finish one of the courses we got. The waiter tryed hos best, But the cheefs could not deliver at all. Dont waist your money here

1  Thank Helle30
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This was our most expensive meal in Hvar ( over 1200 kuna for 3 of us ) and I really regretted it. We could have dined with the jet set in Gariful or Divino at that price. Two of us had the Fusion tasting menu . This was a single anchovy with some fig cake , some creamy pasta with overcooked lamb in a curry sauce and some undercooked rice with a curry sauce and a white fish. Dessert was a banana and chocolate mousse. My husband had the mint lamb which was virtually inedible , tough and fatty . The Sv Klement wine was the only good thing we had . Horrid meal , please avoid . Go to Passarola , Giaxa or Damatino instead .

Reviewed July 16, 2012

I can't say enough great things about this restaurant!!
From the service, to atmosphere and most importantly the food - I fell in love!
The service from this family is wonderful, our waiter was informative and very friendly! The father and sister do the cooking in the 'slow food' belief, and the outcome is pure magic.

We did the 4 course tasting menu, but wish we did the 6 course!
First dish was a white fish ceviche with lemon, another white fish tar tar and a little shot glass of red pepper gazpacho. Everything was so fresh with clean flavours, I wanted to lick my plate.
Second course was stuffed cod on a polenta cake with a garlicy brothy sauce. So so yummy!! So much garlic but somehow still such a subtle and clean flavour.
Third was smoked lamb with a light coconut sauce and a little fritter. This was amazing! The lamb was sooo tender I thought it was sous-vide, but it was actually smoked. And the curry sauce was so flavourful and delicate, another plate-licker!!
For the fourth course, since I don't have a huge sweet tooth, they were so kind as to let me have another savoury dish in replacement of the usual dessert course. And holy smokes was I glad I made the request!! It was a piece of white fish wrapped in bacon atop a spaghetti in light tomato sauce. This was one of the best pastas I've ever eaten. Such simple ingredients, but SO much flavour and perfectly al dente. So so good. I'm drooling thinking about this meal.

The meal was definitely not cheap, but you get what you pay for. If you want good food, come here!

It was so good we made a joke that one of my friends wanted to convert to lesbianism to marry the chef. It was so good we asked them if the were open for lunch the next day. At first they told us that Sundays were usually their family day so we were so disappointed. But our waiter soon came back and said, their family plans had changed and that they could in fact open again if we really did want to return the next day. Can you guess if we went back for lunch? :)

1  Thank asiabelle10