“Excellent hotel and beautiful, classy resort.”

Hotel Croatia Cavtat
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Cavtat
Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent hotel and beautiful, classy resort.”
Reviewed June 23, 2010

My husband and I have just returned from a week in Hotel Croatia and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. You arrive in a beautiful hotel where the staff can't do enough to make your stay a pleasant one. The rooms are very comfortable and the air cnditioning is a blessing. The balconies are a good size and it is an enjoyable experience to sit there reading a book and listening to the birds singing. The swimming pool area is very good with natural shade offered by the pine trees which surround the pool. Also there were always sun lngers available no matter what time you arrived at the pool. The private beach is also very good with beautiful views of the resort of Cavtat. The breakfast buffet has a fantastic array of food on offer.
The resort of Cavtat is really beautiful and there are no rowdy people around. it has the feeling of an upmarket resort. The restaurants and bars are of very high quality and are facing the sea so you can watch the luxury pleasure cruisers docking as you are eating.
All in all we had a very enjoyable stay in Hotel Croatia and are already planning our return visit.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Connie5192
CroatiaHotel, Hotel Manager at Hotel Croatia Cavtat, responded to this review, July 27, 2010
Dear Guest,

We are very happy to read that you spent a wonderful stay in our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you again, for another relaxing stay!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,035)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Aguas de Lindoia, SP
Reviewed April 30, 2010

My wife and I stayed for three nights at Croatia Hotel, Cavtat, Croatia. The hotel is perfect: you arrive in a beautiful hotel with wonderful cenary, with kindly staff, with nice,clean and modern room, with delicious breakfast and dinner and very good swimming pool ,fitness, beach, etc. We enjoy a lot and we recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
CroatiaHotel, General Manager at Hotel Croatia Cavtat, responded to this review, June 1, 2010
Dear Guest,
It was a great pleasure welcoming you in our hotel and we would be happy to welcome you back in hotel Croatia for your next visit to Cavtat.

Galway
Reviewed April 19, 2010

Spent a week in Croatia Hotel with my partner summer 2008. It was recomended by a work collague. The hotel is spotlessly clean everywhere you go. nearly all the staff would have good english and russian. most of the guest we came accross were either German, Russian and Irish. Very few English.
Because the area is more expencive that most package holidays there are no undesireables anywhere in Cavtat. Would be a nice place to bring a family but worth knowing this hotel has its own beach, split into 2 parts one reserves for naturalis bathing. the hotel is in a great location with amazing views and sunsets from it beach.
Would go back again, but would have to save up for while.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DaithGalway
Dear Guest,
We are looking forward to welcoming you again on your next stay in magnificent Cavtat.

Hotel Manager
Cardiff
Reviewed April 16, 2010

We have just come back from this hotel. The review is skewed because they were still preparing for the high season - which was the main problem. I think we had to good deal - about £100 per day. The hotel was almost clinically clean and in a superb position. The room was excellent and the staff very efficient. What was the problem? Only the SteakHouse was open, everything else was shut except the Piano bar. Even the pool was shut down. During the evening my wife and I had the lounge to ourselves. I needed to be treated for depression at the end of the week.

Some people who have reviewed this hotel have excused the food because Croatia is an ex-communist block country. I think this is a little patronising. It seemed to be a very affluent area - young kids had all the gear mobile phones etc etc. All the teenage girls seemed to have the latest fashions and many of the men had a nicer car than me. So there is no excuse to serve the food that they did. They must have taken some of the reviews to heart because we had a 5 course meal served on average in 45 mins (their record was 35 mins!!). By the 4th day they were repeating things on the menu and by the 5th day we went down to the village for food. Breakfast was OK but very bland and we missed two breakfasts and went to the bakery in the village (Superb!! Do try this place).
I blame the Hotel Inspectors for this. I cannot understand how the hotel can have 5* when they serve food like this - ( and no, I don`t consider myself a gourmet.) Croatian wine (which is all you can get) is pretty brutal (I`m not a wine buff either).

The steps up to the hotel road (125) are quite challenging and although they have a golf cart to take people up and down I would definitely take this into account if you have a problem with mobility.

The vast majority of the Croats were lovely, lovely people. We stopped in a little cafe by the bay and the waitress brought out a wrap for her without being asked. However the bus drivers (Anyone from the bus company -LIbertas - reading this?) were the service worst people I have ever met on holiday. Somebody at the company really needs to talk to them.

Dubrovnik was brilliant. Go some of the side streers for food.

Rip Off of the Week were the prices in the lounge at the hotel. They sure have grasped capitalism by both horns. Incidentally the prices at the bar in the 4* Iberostar hotel were 50% cheaper that at the Hotel Croatia

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kemyst
Dear Guest,

Please accept our sincere appologies for the inconvenience you have experienced, and thank you for your positive review of our hotel during your stay in April.
We have completely renovated our wellness area, indoor and outdoor pool and we sincerely regret that all was not perfect during your visit. Pools are open and running and we are proud to say it is a big hit among our guests.
Our coffe costs 1,5 euros, beer costs 2 euros, we know it is hard to find such competitive prices in 5 star hotels around the world.
As you noticed, it is affluent area and prices should not be lower than in any country our guests are coming from, but yet they are. Often, people wronlgy perceive Croatia as ex comunist county and expect that all drinks should cost few cents.
We have six restaurants in our hotel and I would like to offer you all free meals during your next stay with promise to prepare some of the best meals you have ever tried during your stay. We just need for our guests to openly tell us what they like and we will deliver.
Our electric vehicle and driver are at our guests disposal. There are two gentle paths without any stairs at all, one from our beach, and one from Cavtat, one hundred meters and another 200 meeters long.
We hope to see you in our hotel again to show you how far we are willing to go to make you happy.

Canada
Reviewed March 31, 2010

The hotel room was fantastic! My room was on the main level (second floor) and had a view of the Adriatic. If you can, request a view of the Adriatic, particularly because the rooms have balconies and lounge chairs. I had to work on the weekend so I worked out on the balcony.

The room had everything you could want, except an iron. I was told that I had to send out my clothes to get pressed... which I didn't have time for and didn't want to spend money on it. But one of the ladies that worked there snuck in an iron and board for me which I kept in my room.

Food, was not great but it's not a fault of the hotel – I’ve had the same kind of food elsewhere in eastern Europe. The food also grew on me :) There is a restaurant where you can get steak, etc.. in the hotel and that was good. If you're going to have a meal, go down to the "village". I didn't have a single bad meal there; everything you eat was caught that morning. And save room for dessert particularly the crepes with ice cream and warm fruit… I can’t remember what it was called but you won’t regret it.

I am rating the service very highly. I’ve noticed some complaints about it but I think “Western” tourists expect the kind of service you get in North America. Considering Croatia’s recent history, you get a sense of how new the tourism industry must be for the country. So take the differences in service lightly. I also had a great experience; the concierges were nice, quick and helpful. I even went for a walk with one of them after his shift. Internet service/business center was good.

I had no idea how beautiful Croatia was until I went to Cavtat. I liked it better than Dubrovnik. The fact that you can walk out and go for a swim is great. I went in October but the water was still warm. Oh, and beware, there is a nudist beach area. There is a sign but I missed it somehow so I was left wondering why I was the only one wearing clothes.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Chiclet2010
Dear Guest,

It is always a great pleasure to read nice words about our hotel. We would like to welcome you again in our hotel to spend a wonderful vacation in beautiful Cavtat.

Washington DC
Reviewed March 22, 2010

The view was incredible and our suite was very spacious although needed renovating. I didn't think the food could be as bad as the reviews but it was! The staff were quite friendly.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank LillyDC
London
Reviewed March 18, 2010

My partner and I stayed here for a week last summer and overall we were not disappointed. First off, Cavtat is beautiful, just down the road from Dubrovnik but a world away from the crowds and noise. The views of the village and the sea from the hotel are breathtaking. There are nice cafes and some reasonably interesting walks to do – we found the ruins of a Roman villa.

The hotel does have a somewhat boat-like feel and looks like a battleship on land. We were there at the start of high season and it felt huge and a little empty and eerie in places. But this also meant that we always had a sun lounger, plenty of space in the pool, etc.

The rooms have been redone pretty recently and are lovely, very stylish and modern with very comfortable beds. Great showers!

I have two recommendations:

1. Get a sea view room! We originally had a room facing a treed area at the back and while it was peaceful, it wasn’t anything special. After a few days we decided to upgrade to a sea room. Best decision of the trip! The light flooding into the room and watching the spectacular sunsets from the balcony was well worth the extra cost. Don’t skimp here!!

2. Go on a half board basis. The breakfasts were acceptable (apart from the awful instant coffee, which is apparently standard in hotels in Croatia) but we didn’t enjoy the decidedly average dinners. It would have been much nicer to dine in the village along the harbourfront.

Although the hotel made us laugh (strange eerie silences, institutional-feeling dining hall, blue rinse clientele) we loved our holiday despite ourselves and would go back. It’s well-situated for day trips to Dubrovnik, Bosnia and Montenegro (don’t miss Kotor!). And if you go into Dubrovnik, don’t take the hotel excursion bus – the regular bus from the village is very handy and a fraction of the cost.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BueTravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavtat
Hotel Cavtat
#14 of 68 in Dubrovnik
Hotel More
Hotel More
#10 of 68 in Dubrovnik

Been to Hotel Croatia Cavtat? Share your experiences!