“Fantastic sea view”

Hotel Croatia Cavtat
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Cavtat
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We're currently almost 1 week tour two weeks here and I have to say I'm pretty happy with our selection. It's certainly a big hotel, though with the exception of the pool and breakfast areas it never seems overcrowded, though I'm sure it is full.

The downsides first - the pools are all salt water which is not perfect for kids, though they get used to it pretty quickly as most people do. The pool area is also too small for the size of hotel and fills up quickly, so either get sorted or go down to the beach where there are loads of sun loungers. Food - ok but a little uninspiring, then again Croatia doesn't immediately spring to mind as a culinary destination.

The good points, and there are plenty - the rooms are good, certainly the sea view ones are and it's worth upgrading for the sea view - not many will beat it. The staff are friendly and generally it's not hideously expensive for drinks or food.

The golf buggy ride down to the town is handy, but the steps aren't too bad, unless you have small kids. The town itself is ok, though nothing really special, apart from some of the large yachts and cruisers that dock there.

All in all, a good hotel and we're pleased with the choice we made. Then again, sitting on the balcony watching the sun go down with boats going past and sun bathers still swimming in the sea, it's hard to complain!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Ex-seasider
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Dear guest,
Thank you for reporting your impressions of your holidays in the Trip Advisor web page. I am glad to see that the hotel fulfilled all your expectations including the room comfort and view as well as the quality of our restaurants and friendliness of the staff.
Your conclusion says it all: “All in all, a good hotel and we're pleased with the choice we made... It's hard to complain!”
We hope to see you soon back to our property and the lovely village of Cavtat.
Best regards,

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Hotel Croatia stands on a promontory from the seaside village of Cavtat. It is a large hotel that feels really spacious with lots of areas to sit. Two pools and two bathing place in the sea as well as an outdoor fish restaurant. The rooms are 25 meters square and well furnished and lead onto a balcony. Pay the extra for a sea view room and our room on the 9th floor was like being on a cruise liner but without the movement. There are a lot of steps up to the hotel but the hotels lays on golf buggies, just ring the bell captain and the come down for you. This is a better alternative to Dubrovnik that gets overrun by tourists from the cruise ships. Its much nicer to that the 45min boat trip of the local bus and have the loverly little village to come back to.

Room Tip: Rooms on 8/9 floor are besr
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank KenMcA
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Dear guest,
Thank you for filling up the Trip Advisor web page with your feedback concerning you holidays in our hotel. It is a pleasure to see that you truly enjoyed our facilities including the comfort of the rooms as well as the hotel location.
It is true that one the advantage of our property is the fact that you are still close from the lovely town of Dubrovnik but away from the crowd of the summer season with the wonderful village of Cavtat at you feet.
Thank you again for your comments and best regards from the sunny Cavtat.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I have just returned (Sunday) from our 9th consecutive visit to Hotel Croatia. I thought I would like people to know what brings us back year after year. The hotel itself is lovely. Yes it is not a new build but it is kept in imaculate condition both inside and out. Reception staff have always been excellent and very helpful to new arrivals. I know that a week ago there was a hold-up with arrivals on the Sunday, but that is the first time I have known people have to waite for their rooms. I think some of this was due to the early arrival of the Thomson flight which did not give the cleaning staff time to ready the rooms. The cleaning staff are just lovely and will provide you with any toiletries you require replenished. Towels are replaced each day and beds (which are so comfortable) are changed twice a week. Sea view rooms are a must and aford the most fantastic views. The rooms are spacious and you are provided with sumptious bath robes. The pool area is very pretty and pool towels are provided. There is a pool bar where you can get hot and cold drinks throughout the day. The main resturant is very good and if the weather is good (which ours was for the whole of our stay) you can sit out on the terrace overlooking the most beautiful bay and enjoy your breakfast and evening meal. Food is very good and even though I have read mixed reviews over the food, there is something for everyone and is of good quality. Loved having our omletts made fresh for us at breakfast. The resturant staff are very good and are more than happy to help in choice of wines, bringing you tea/coffee etc. They are all lovely especially Luci who is just wonderful. Try the piano bar for a pre dinner drink. Yes it is expensive but when you get onto the terrace at the piano bar, sit down and look at the view over the fantastic bay of Cavtat, the price of your pre dinner glass of wine all seens to be worth it. Ana and Jele in the piano bar are lovely people. And now to Cavtat. Lots of lovely little bars out on the pavement where you can just sit and yacht watch as well as people watch. What a sight. I don't think I can say enough about Hotel Croatia and Cavtat except to tell people that if you do have a problem of any sort while at the hotel, do tell the hotel staff who will do all they can to solve your problem. Yes we will be going back next year for our 10th visit. Thank you to all the staff and Manager Gildas Renaux for yet another wonderful stay at Hotel Croatia. C & P Edwards.

Room Tip: Although all rooms are very good, for the ultimate experience book a sea view. We prefare the higher...
8  Thank cazie186439

Dear Guest,
Your beautiful comments went straight to our hearts and I thank you for giving us the highest possible ranking in the trip Advisor web page.
I am so pleased to see that you are coming back year after year to our property, your “Home away from home”.... and I thank you for mentioning the attitude of our employees as well as my daily presence on the floor and personal contacts to the guest.
I can say that one more time you truly enjoyed all our facilities and I can promise you that we will be trying to make it even better for your next stay amongst us.
Warmest regards from the sunny Cavtat.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Could not fault this hotel. Excellent location, food and staff.Very clean hotel. As per previous reviews, pay the extra for the seaview - it is definitely worth it.One of the best holidays we have had, and Croatia is absolutely stunning. The staff cannot do enough for you, and the General Manager is always around the hotel. O.K the steps are hard work, but to get a location like this hotel it is worth it - just treat it as a work out after all the fantastic food!
I have only one gripe, and that is really against Thomson and not the hotel. Will the Thomson team please tell the Sunday morning flight guests ( on the coach from the airport) that rooms at this hotel will not be available until 2pm. This may stop the frantic rush for cases and getting in the queue at reception if we had been made aware of this before reaching the hotel.Anyone going to this hotel PACK YOUR SWIMWARE ETC IN HAND LUGGAGE OR ON TOP OF YOUR CASE for easy access when reaching the hotel as 4 hours in your U.K clothes in 30 degree heat is not much fun.
We loved this hotel and hope to book again to see more of this beautiful country( Cavtat is definitely the best resort to stay after checking out others)

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for a Sea view room
5  Thank JanetBlackpool

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback in Trip Advisor web page. It is always so rewarding to receive such great compliments from our guests. I am pleased to see that you named as number one the friendly attitude of our employees and thank you for mentioning the time I spend every day enquiring amongst our dear customers to receive their feedback and try to react immediately to their needs.
Concerning the check-in on Sunday you are absolutely right. The best way to start enjoying immediately your vacation is to get ready your bath clothes and to start enjoying both, pool and beach area until your room is ready a t 2.00 p.m.
Best regards form the sunny Dubrovnik.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

We foundt this hotel a little overrated. The room was ok, but nothing more. Towels were quite worn, soap was not refilled when empty. A air-conditioner in the corridor had a leak, and the carpet around it was wet and with fungus. Had to contact the reception three times in order to get pre-ordered wine and fruit. The surroundings and the town of Cavtat was great though.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Per Normann A

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback in Trip Advisor web page. I am pleased sorry to see that we did not fulfilled totally your expectations and I really hope that you will give us a second chance, so you will leave our property with a different opinion of our hotel like the majority of our guest do.
Best regards form Dubrovnik

Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

The hotel itself was beautiful and modern. I would recommend investing in a room with sea views. Amazing. Had everything you could ask for.

Things to consider is that the hotel is located at the top of a very very steep hill. So to get to the town there are lots of stairs to tackle. Not recommended for the faint hearted! Once in the town of Cavtat, there is a great vibe, filled with lots of restaurants, souvenir shops and ice cream places.

The round trip to Dubronik is 40 mins each way and around 80 kunas per person.

The spa at the hotel is a rip off. I used the spa at the hotel Cavtat instead called Lavanda. The guy there is a genius. He fixed my very sore lower back.

The hotel itself has an indand, kiddy and outdoor pool. Honestly we didn't enjoy the pools much they were so so salty that you're eyes felt like they would soon start bleeding. And it was so annoying that they allow nudity at the pool. They have a private nudist beach literally down the stairs so I don't see why the nudist have to also be allowed by the pool. Explaining to my 6 year old every 5 secs why another person is walking around nude was tiring.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank TheDinas

Dear Guest,
Thank you for ranking our hotel with such a high note in Trip Advisor web page. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed our hotel facilities.
Holidays are so important after an entire year of dedication to work that it is always a pleasure to see that we fulfilled your expectations.
The nudist beach was voluntarily located on the right side of the wild beach of the hotel, so it is not visible from rooms or the rest of the public area for the convenience of our clients.
Best regards form the sunny Cavtat.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

We were very much looking forward to this trip because of all the positive comments on this site about the hotel and I have to say that they are all richly deserved.

The hotel is enormous, but never felt crowded. Facilities are top class and as others have pointed out, the attitude of all the staff is first class in a way that doesn't seem forced - they all seem genuinely happy to be there and to ensure that you are happy.

We stayed bed and breakfast so can't comment on the evening meals, but the breakfast was excellent, with loads of choice in a superb setting on the balcony overlooking the bay. Speaking of views, you really want to pay extra for a sea view room - the view is truly spectacular and is well worth the extra money, especially as I believe the non-sea view rooms don't have much of a view of anything. The view at sunset is to die for.

A number of people have commented on the queues at check in on their arrival on Sunday - we also arrived on an early flight and were in the hotel for 10am on Sunday morning, and I have to say that it never crossed my mind that we would have access to our room at that time in the summer season when the hotel is full and there aren't spare rooms available until the previous occupants have vacated. At 10am, our intended room is still occupied by others. Anyone who expects to be able to get access to their room at this time is deluded. However, I do think that a small system change would help matters and think the hotel management should consider it - there was no queue when we arrived and we could have been processed in a relaxed manner and given time to have all the necessary details explained, and then given a token, or pass or some kind. All we would then have to do at 2pm is to swap that pass for our key card - everyone is processed in seconds then when the queue is at its height.

The pool and the area around it is very attractive, but there does seem to be a bit of a recurring issue with sun lounger reserving - I witnessed towels on loungers staying there for hours on one occasion - it is a real frustration because the situation becomes self-perpetuating - i.e. if the only way to get a lounger near the pool is to bag and reserve one then you are tempted to do the same. In the end however, rather than become one of the sad people getting up early with their towels, we used the private area on the sea front near the Spinnaker restaurant which is not afflicted in the same way and which we ultimately preferred.

Despite those 2 very small gripes, it doesn't affect my views on this hotel - this is a superb hotel, with fantastic staff and a great location in a truly beautiful area of Croatia, and we have already pledged to ourselves that we will definitely return.

As for Cavtat itself, this location has become my favourite holiday destination by some distance - it is an amazingly beautiful place, not too crowded and over commercialised with multiple sheltered bays and stunning views at every turn. Everyone, without exception was warm and welcoming, which just added to the lovely ambience of the place. It is very close to Dubrovnik, either by bus or boat if you wish to go and pay a visit, which you really should, and has lots of nice places to eat right on the bay front. They do tend to all serve similar fare at similar prices and you will find your own favourites after a short while. Rather than stay in Dubrovnik itself, which can become very crowded, this is a superb base for all that this part of Croatia offers - I just really hope that it is not spoilt in the coming years by over-commercialisation.

I just can’t wait to go back now!!!.

Room Tip: Just make sure your room faces the sea!! - we had a low room (floor 2) but had a perfect view out to...

Dear Guest,
Thank you for reporting your comments on Trip Advisor Web page. It is with great pleasure that I read you very positive comments concerning the holidays you spend in our property : I am so happy to see that we fulfilled all your expectations including the staff attitude, location, comfort of the rooms and food quality as well al, our hotel facilities. Your conclusion (we have already pledged to ourselves that we will definitely return...) indicates that you will be coming back to our property and this is definitely the best award we may receive from our customers: LOYALTY.
Thank you again for reporting your feedback and I hope to see you soon back to your “home away from home”....
Best regards,
Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavtat
Hotel Cavtat
Valamar Dubrovnik President Hotel
Hotel Supetar
Hotel Supetar
#7 of 18 in Cavtat

Been to Hotel Croatia Cavtat? Share your experiences!