“Always full...and deserves to be”

Restaurant Bugenvila
Ranked #1 of 43 Restaurants in Cavtat
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Experience carefully sourced highest quality ingredients cooked to perfection. Enjoy immaculately presented seasonal cocktails. Taste some of the best Croatian wines. Enjoy life!
Reviewed November 7, 2012

As others have noted, reservations are almost always needed, and there are two seatings each evening, one 7 to 7:30 and the other 9 to 9:30. Despite operating close to capacity, the service is extremely attentive and uncommonly considerate. And the food is a break from the Croatian national menu, which I heartily enjoy, but it is great that Bugenvila offers some intriguing variations on that and some inventive choices that expand it. Lots of emphasis on good ingredients as well.

Contrary to what another reviewer felt, you can order the chicken. I had a breast filet with a delicious cream sauce infused with mustard seed. This gave it a kind of curry twist, and I think I'll try to work with that idea in some dishes at home.

If there is any weak point, it is the salads. I ordered the "Bugenvila" and got a collection of vegetables that I had to dress myself with oil and vinegar--a salad kit in other words. Undressed salads are frequently encountered but not universal in Croatian restaurants. I felt that such a fine place might have used more of their ingenuity to make a salad worthy of their name.

My companions had beef and seafood and soup. All of us were more than pleased with those and the interesting vegetable sides, mostly grilled. An unusually good wine was available too, and it wasn't from the top of the list. So much of the food was so good that I can't bring myself to deduct anything from the food score.

There are many good restaurants in Cavtat, but this is the one not to miss.

2  Thank WilliamWescott

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Definitely need to book and we can understand why! The food is of outstanding quality,served by well-trained,knowledgeable and friendly staff. The setting is perfect,overlooking the harbour.
We ate here at lunchtime at the start of our holiday,and decided to return on our last evening,booking only just in time, the day before.
It was the most expensive restaurant we visited in Cavtat, but worth every kuna!

Reviewed October 26, 2012

The quality and presentation of the food was the best we had, we ate here twice and thoroughly enjoyed it both times, Quite small and you really need to book, I think we saw as many as twelve couples unable to get a table. It's in a nice setting on the harbour front and the staff are very welcoming and helpful with the menu choices.
Don't miss it.

1  Thank Kev-Vee
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My friends tease me about being a foodie and i must admit i do take my grub seriously.There are many restaurants facing the harbour but this one really stood out due to the pretty tablecloths and the different coloured water glasses on the table which caught the light. My friend and i visited at lunchtime on a recent trip in September. I initially ordered grilled squid but was informed that they had sold out the night before. I decided on the fresh pasta with shin of beef and it was a great choice, soft melting flavoursome beef with a glass of really top notch red wine. The bread was freshly baked and the complimentary cheese and olives prior to our meal were delicious. Both myself and my friend commented that they were the juicest olives we had ever tried! For dessert i had an expertly made espresso martini. The absolute best thing i had though was a glass of rose, the gentleman who served me kindly showed me the bottle and explained that it was a local wine. However, i cannot remember the name of the wine and i would love to know what it was, as it was the best rose i have tasted in a long while, really fresh and aromatic. The gentleman who served us was friendly and informative and he noticied my friend and i were taking holiday snaps of each other and kindly offered to take a picture of us both enjoying ourselves in the restaurant. The service was excellent, nothing was too much trouble. It is an absolute delight finding a restaurants like this. I can't wait to visit Croatia again and this restaurant will be at the top of my list on my next trip to Cavtat. I can't encourage you enough to visit, you won't be disappointed. This place is a real find and a little treasure.

1  Thank DavinaColada
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Excellent service - by far the nicest staff at any restaurant we visited and a charming owner. Food great in an amazing setting. Can't wait to revisit

1  Thank sue a