“Comfortable, convenient hotel in ideal location”
Review of Hotel Cavtat

Hotel Cavtat
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Cavtat
Reviewed July 14, 2010

Comfortable rooms with great view, this hotel is situated five minutes walk from the centre of Cavtat which is a beautiful, relatively unspoilt village. Dubrovnik is only a bus or boat trip away. The breakfast and evening buffet was plentiful and varied and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. It is under the flight path but this was not a problem and the benefit is a 10 minute transfer.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Elsie53
Write a ReviewReviews (1,185)

Reviewed July 11, 2010

I booked a 4 night stay at the Cavtat Ibrostar. When I arrived via taxi, I was told that they were over booked and that the Spanish website with whom I booked was at fault. Ibrostar claimed that the website was notorious for over booking and then not advising clients of the problem with availability.
After several minutes of pleading with the woman for any room, I asked to speak with the manager. The manager proceeded to repeat the blame game. No one at the hotel wanted to go one step further and help me. I refused to leave and requested the use of a computer. This the manager allowed, however very reluctantly. After almost 30 min. on line, they offered to make arrangements in town with a 3 star hotel. I reluctantly accepted as I had never been to Cavtat before and didn't know where to turn.
As I hefted my suitcase down the street to the new hotel (Supetar) a kilometer away, a young girl at the information center saw me and asked if I needed a place to stay. When I told her my story she said that I was not the first person from out of the country to be displaced with nowhere to go. I accepted then cancelled my reservation with the Hotel Supetar. The girl phoned a local man who had lovely flats for rent, and very reasonably priced I might add. I was picked up and taken directly to a lovely group of flats with a pool and a private door just a block or so past Restaurant Ivan.
Cavtat is wonderful. Ibrostar is a scam and very unprofessional. Stay at a small local place on the water. You won't regret it.
Oh yeah, and when I got home I had a $600.00 USD charge to my credit card from the Ibrostar Hotel. Of course, I am refuting the charge. Screw you Ibrostar.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
6  Thank LauraPeto
Reviewed July 6, 2010

It's not four star but it's better than 3. Maid service every day. Clean. Our room had spectacular view of the bay and mountains behind. We were half board which we've done before. Best we've seen. Cavtat is a cut above anything Spain has to offer and not as expensive as France or Italy but dearer than Turkey. Prices are like UK though wine is expensive in restaurants eg 12 to 15 pounds for house wine. Beer's OK. Whole fish dishes silly money. Avoid. Eg Sea bass for two 30 quid and not a big fishy! Lobster 90 pounds! That apart you won't starve by avoiding these obvious exaggerations. Strongly recommend. We went Dubrovnick twice and a trip to Mostar. This hotel is the cheapest of the three in the resort with Iberostar but It's in the best spot. GO!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank williamcooper418
Reviewed February 28, 2010

We stayed at Hotel Cavtat for 2 weeks the staff were very friendly and helpful the food was very good and plenty of variety.The rooms were a bit dated but verycomfortable.
I would recommended this hotel to anyone.
The Town of cavtat is very scenic you can get a water taxi to Dubrovinik about 45minutes away.
I0 mins from Dubrovinik airport and I hour from Montenegro boarder.
If you like scenery and relaxation and also the odd sroll or if you are keen walker there is plenty of walks.
There is plenty of restaurants and bars etcin cavtat.
If you want nightlife I recommended Old Town Dubrovinik at night which is busy but has feel of class about it.
We will return some day.

Stewart Michelle.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank boggarthill
Reviewed September 28, 2009

We spent a fortnight at the Cavtat (pronounced savtat), and found it very comfortable, very convenient for local restaurants (there are lots), and the staff cheerful and friendly.
The downsides are that Cavtat village is directly under the flightpath of incoming aircraft for Dubrovnik airport - and they are at zero level as they go over! This wouldn't be too bad if you could keep the balcony doors/windows shut at night - but for the most peculiar reaso, Hotel Cavtat's owners (Iberostar Group) will only allow ther air-con. to be used in July and August. We were their during a September heatwave (temperatures of 25-30deg.C), Super during the day - but at night, it was SO stuffy!
The restaurant has little to offer. It is buffet style.Breakfast is fine, with a wide selection - but evenings are better spent elsewhere in one of the many very good restaurants.
We would have no hesitation in staying here again - especially if the weather was cooler! We had a spacious sea-view balcony room - well worth the extra. (Level 3, rooms 324 up have the best views. 321 to 323 are obscured by trees. Level 2, directly below, are similar.)

1  Thank travelling-man38
Reviewed September 26, 2009

You must get a sea view as others will disappoint. Stayed in room 210 which we had booked as a sea view which it was from the balcony by looking round the corner. The room was very small and basic with scratchy tools and no hair drier or safe (one in reception if required). Beds were thin and not that comfortable but all was very clean. The shower is fixed at knee height for some reason so you have to hold the head in your hand and risk flooding the bathroom which contains no bath, but plenty of hot water. Breakfasts are served till 11pm but 10 till 11 is cold continental only. We found that the hotel was clearing all away at 9.55! Quality of breakfast food was OK but uninspiring and became boring after a few days. We did not do evening meal as the hotel dining room finished serving rather early at 9pm and the food didn't look that good and cost as much as eating out plus it lacked any charm or character. It's best to walk 300 yard and sit outside at one of the many superb restaurants along the front of the harbour. The hotel is certainly not cheap but compared with others nearby such as the Croatia it's a bargain. One final note the wine is rubbish and very expensive stick to beer or spirits.

2  Thank gavin123
Reviewed September 25, 2009

I'll begin by saying that Cavtat itself is a jewel. A charming little town full of amicable locals, 'superyachts' and countless feral cats situated next to the clearest, bluest sea you'll ever see. A handful of historical monuments, museums and churches to visit, a few gift shops, one tiny convenience store/open air market, small bus station with half hourly service to Dubrovnik and one or two elsewhere, about 16 or so cafes, restaurants and bars all selling the same fare of grilled meats, fresh fish, pasta and pizza. All in all, not a lot to do but the perfect place to simply relax, swim/snorkel with the fish, people watch whilst enjoying the best ice cream/coffee, take a boat trip/partake in watersports or stroll along the coast whilst taking in the stunning surroundings and smelling the scent of pine and wild herbs. If you want to be close to historical Dubrovnik, but away from all the hustle and bustle, this is the perfect resort to choose.

As for the Hotel Iberostar Cavtat........well, I have mixed feelings.

The hotel is situated 'upside down'. One floor of rooms and sun terrace above reception (to which there is no lift, only stairs) and three floors of bedrooms and the dining room below reception, which is accessible by two very tiny lifts. Our room was on the floor above reception. After dragging two heavy cases upstairs (with no offer of assistance) we found our room to be very basic but comfortable and spacious. Think 1980s decor and melamine furniture and you get the picture.

The room had no real introduction pack, no mini bar, no hairdryer, no tea/coffee making facilities and no safe, however, you are able to keep your passport/money etc, for free of charge in the safe behind reception. The room was cleaned daily and the bed linen changed regularly during our two week stay.

English channels on the TV consisted of CNN and MTV. Not really a problem I suppose unless you get bad weather, as in this situation there is nothing else to pass your time in the hotel, unless you speak German (loads of TV channels) take a book to read or pack of cards etc.

The bathroom was adequate/clean but very small and there was little shelf space for toiletries. It was replenished daily with shower gel, soap and towels, but no shampoo. Also, strangely the shower unit (no bath) appeared to be constructed for elves with the fixture halfway down the wall and was prone to flooding.

The most disappointing aspect of our room was that we paid for a balcony with sea view, however, ended up with a 5% view of the sea, some mountains, plus trees and hotel buildings which obliterated the sun for the whole day. We were offered an alternative room below reception but found these to be much smaller and dingy.

The soundproofing in the hotel is better than others we've stayed in, however, you are able to hear the shower, taps etc in the adjoining bathroom......a real pain if your neighbour is fixated on taking long showers at 5am every morning like ours was! Also be aware that the air conditioning is turned off mid September and is only switched on at the manager's discretion. Our bedroom at night was uncomfortable due to daily temperatures ranging from 27-32C. We were unable to keep the patio doors open at night due to biting insects. We noticed that lots of people were afflicted with bites so if you suffer do make sure to pack some insect repellent/antihistamines etc.

Breakfast was a bit hit and miss although I cannot fault the dining room staff. Charming, friendly, attentive and forever restocking, however, the food was very basic (think cash and carry) and didn't change from one day to the next.......apart from the left over vegetables from the night before! Not the greatest selection on offer, however, edible on most days (there were some off ones though!)

In the main the staff at reception were very helpful, spoke excellent English (puts us to shame) and were happy to assist with any queries. The only gripe was that before booking we were under the impression we would be able to use the swimming pools/facilities at the Iberostar sister hotels, however, on checking with the reception manager was told that this was not the case and went without the use of a pool for two weeks. I have since read another review stating that they were able to use the pools so I suggest that if this aspect of the holiday is important to you then it is best to get it confirmed in writing before booking with this hotel.

As stated, there is no pool at the Iberostar Cavtat, however, the hotel does have a sun terrace with loungers/parasols, however, this is only accessible by stairs. The hotel has a 'beach' directly outside, however, this is basically a not very private, small concrete slab with some steps directly into the sea. Please note, if you are planning on swimming it is best to take some appropriate footwear as sea urchins are prevalent and there are no sandy beaches in Cavtat. We found the pretty seaside resort of Mlini (short bus drive away) another option for spending a day lazing by the sea although be prepared to pay for the use of sun loungers/parasols.

All in all, we loved the resort of Cavtat. Our hotel was not the best we've ever stayed in but then I guess you get what you pay for. The hotel has hardly any facilities and basically caters for the older generation, many whom appear to be regulars. The upside is the location.......right in the centre of town and close to the bus station. Personally, I would suggest that the Albatross/Epidaurus are better suited to young couples/families (about a 10-15 minute walk away from the town) and if you really want to push the boat out, investigate staying at the Hotel Croatia.

5  Thank AggieDevon_UK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavtat
Hotel Croatia Cavtat
Villa Pattiera
Villa Pattiera
#5 of 18 in Cavtat
Sheraton Dubrovnik Riviera Hotel

Been to Hotel Cavtat? Share your experiences!