“On the sea in a nice Cavtat town”
Review of Hotel Cavtat

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Cavtat
Reviewed October 21, 2012

First the place. Cavtat is a beautiful town, right on the sea, with boats taking you in less than 1 hour to Dubrovnik. The hotel is nicely located on the sea, with a beach (concrete) just across the street. Rooms are not very large, but OK and we had a nice view on town and sea. We did not book in advance and had to pay quite a high rate when arriving directly. Breakfast was correct, nothing more. However a good place to stay in Cavtat.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Iris D, General Manager at Hotel Cavtat, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your opinion with Trip Advisor!
I`m sorry you didn`t find some better option to book hotel, but you can book it within many tour-operators, also booking.com, expedia.com, hotels.com and of course directly on our web site or writing us an e-mail.
Whatever suites you, we will gladly welcome you again!

Warmest regards from the hotel Cavtat!

Hotel Cavtat

Write a ReviewReviews (1,185)

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Cavtat is a lovely resort and the Hotel Cavtat is in the best postition to appreciate that, I was lucky and had a third floor room 303 which had a good view of the sea.The hotel is kept spotless by the cleaning staff with towels changed everyday. I found all the staff friendly and helpful, the only downside to this hotel is that the food is served either just about warm or cold and some strange mixtures of food.but Iris the manager is trying to change the food situation
I went on Thomsons excursions to the three islands very good also to Montenegro which is beautiful and to Mostar in Bosnia if you go to Mostar make sure you have on shoes with a good grip as the cobbles are old and slippery, I have always wanted to go to Dubronvik and I was not disapointed it is lovely old town,like Nigel W we were not told about the hotel change of ownership I would not let the food situation stop me from staying at this lovely hotel again ,we met some lovely people there. But be sure to take insect repellant with you

Room Tip: I stayed on the third floor room 303 had a lovely view of the sea , The hotel was very quiet
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank bradwell42

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your opinion with Trip Advisor!
I`m glad you liked our hotel and you had good time. Sorry you didn`t find our food warm enough. We recently changed chef and started slowly to implement new dishes, but also they are measuring warmth of the food during the dinner at least three times (at the begging of the dinner, in the middle and prior to finish). It is always minimum 60 C°, which is quite warm. We will keep controlling that aspect so they really respect fact that food should be warm all the time equally.
Sorry you didn`t had right information regarding new ownership. We informed all partners and tour-operators prior to season about change of ownership and all contracts were signed by new company, maybe just tour-operators din` t have enough time to forward information to all agents. Hopefully next season we won`t have such misunderstandings.
We are glad you confirmed you will love to be our guests again and hopefully we won`t wait a lot till you come visit us again!

We wish you all the best from the hotel Cavtat!

Reviewed October 18, 2012

THe Hotel Cavtat is well positioned, with our large balconies overlooking the smaller harbour.....excellent views. The rooms were clean and towels etc changed each day. Very friendly staff.
The breakfast could have done with the bacon being cooked longer and baked beans, rather than the vegetable mixture. The toaster needs replacing...2 or 3 4 slice toasters would have been better. The local bread was superb. Evening meals tasted better than they looked.....poor presentation. The salad selection was good, so there probably was enough variety to ensure you could eat something. Soups need improving, very thin.
Very laid back and even though I would not rave over any of the food, I ate well and over all, loved the hotel.
Easy to walk around the headland, with lovely views and the harbour area on this side was lovely. Sat there watching the megayachts....often with one of the excellent value ice creams, available in lots of flavours.
Easy to get to Dubrovnik by bus or boat and well worth the visit.....stunning...but better to stay in Cavtat and visit.
USE your insect repellant....we all had bites on legs and arms.
Spent a night listening to a local classical guitarist in the monastery cloisters....well worth the small charge. Great atmosphere and superb guitar playing.
Definitely worth a return visit and I would have no qualms in recommending the Hotel Cavtat, as long as you are not too finickerty with your food........but I get the feeling that the beautiful Iris (looks like a more beautiful version of Joanna Lumley) will be sorting out the food situation.
Only disappointment, was that we were not able to use the Albatross swimming pool, as the hotel was now under new owners....VERY UPSET that THOMSONS did not inform us before we went and the Rep (who we only saw on arrival and departure....mid day visits are no use when you go out each day) only told us at the meeting. No Thomson board, or book until 12th day......read the Jet 2 for info.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nigel W

Dear Mr. Nigel,

Thank you for nice compliments on Trip Advisor for our hotel and for me personally!
It is always pleasure to read how much guests enjoyed being our guests and I`m personally pleased to receive compliments on our staff, their approach, friendliness, hospitality as such things you can create in one day, it needs training but also right persons to have in a team. I was happy this year as we had shorty period to create entire team and it seemed we choose really nice people which is already half way of the job.
Yes, we are working constantly on food offer. Problem is that we had different nationalities in our hotel and just 3* budget within which we have to satisfy all needs and wishes. That is why we are also always around our guests, talking with them, listening their opinion as is the best way to find out what pleased them most. We did some changes within kitchen team and there are now some new persons, hopefully that will bring good results. Of course we are working on that issue and we will keep working as it is live process which never ends.
Sorry you didn`t have right information regarding ownership change. We signed all contracts for 2012. by new company, maybe as it was short period tour-operators didn`t manage to pass information to their agents. Hopefully after this season such moments won`t repeat anymore.

Team of the hotel Cavtat wishes you all the best and we hope to welcome you next year in our lovely hotel when you will experience personally improvements we are working on this year and we will work on through winter period!

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We recently returned from a week in the Hotel Cavtat and I can honestly say it exceeded our expectations. The location is superb - breakfast/dinner on the terrace with views over the sea and hills - just a couple of minutes level walk to the bustling harbour area (oh I how longed to be on one of those super yachts) yet just far enough away from the noise (though I expect this would be different in July/August). The food was good - not sure what those reviewers who were not impressed were complaining about - and the staff are excellent - multilingual and very well trained. A special word about the cleaners - the hotel is spotless and the cleaning staff were always around at all times of the day cleaning windows, floors and the lounge areas of the hotel. There is a roof terrace for sunbathing and an area in front of the hotel where you can sit on sun loungers and swim - the was still warm enough (just) in October - and I would recommend a snorkel or mask so you can see all the fish in the clear water. The bus staton is close by and you can easily get to Dubrovnik (20 Kunas one way) and the buses run till midnight. You can also take the bus further south if you want to explore the Konavle valley though this needs careful study of the timetables as the buses are few and far between. We walked to Cilipi along the coast and then took the bus back - there are other walks starting from Cilipi and Gruda. We also went to Montenegro - Kotor is lovely but I wouldn't rush back to Budva. Srbrenro (hope I've spelt that right) next to Milini is a peaceful unpspoilt spot and easily accessed by bus. We had a look at the other hotels in Cavtat and decided we had made the best choice as regards ambience and location. From what I gather the hotel is going to be refurbished (not that I think it needs it - I hope it doesn't become impersonal like Hotel Croatia) and would love to go back again to see what has been changed. The only downside is the busy road into the town (no footpath) so it is better to exit the hotel via the terraced dining area , especially at night (though if you have mobility issues this is not easy), Oh - and if you like your TV , there was only grainy CNN in amongst all the German channels in the room (though Sky news in the lounge area) but with a stunning location and views who wants to watch TV? Alll in all - a great hotel and I would definitely return. Just a word of apology on behalf of the British people to the management - I spotted one of my fellow countrywomen stuffing her handbag full of fruit one evening - if you are reading Madam, shame on you!

Room Tip: we had a side room on 3rd floor but still had sea view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SarahNorthumberland
Iris D, General Manager at Hotel Cavtat, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear Mrs. Sarah,

Thank you very much for nice comments on Trip Advisor!
We are pleased you had such a nice time in the hotel Cavtat and that you brought only nice memories with you!
Thank you for compliments on food, we did put new chef on position so it seems situation started to change. Hopefully we will start to receive only positive comments on food.
Regarding the lady who was stuffing her bag with fruit from the restaurant, you said it all. Everybody knows it is not allowed to do, but at the end it shows only behaviour of certain person, manners she has and we can`t do anything about it.
As always I`m pleased to receive nice comments on staff, its friendliness and hospitality. We want to create atmosphere of pleasant, warm, comfortable hotel and from you words I can see we manage to make you feel that way, which is our main goal.
Please do visit us again next year, so you can see that even though hotel will be refurbished you will still feel yourself cozy and comfortable.
Team of the hotel Cavtat sends you warmest regards and wishes you all the best!

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We have just arrived back this being our second visit to Hotel Cavtat once again we had a very pleasant stay clean room,very pleasant and helpfull staff in particular a lovely by the name of Sasha .There was however one exception,as we checked out a very surly,rude young woman named Jelena informed us we owed for one nights dinner when we questioned this as we were on half board she was very dismissive and unpleasant as this was in reception with quite a few other guests around it was embarassing .We realise mistakes can be made but would expect to be told in a more civilised manner.It was unfortunate this had to happen in our last few minutes at the hotel but we were so annoyed felt we had to tell you .We will be back and would always recomend Hotel Cavtat.

4  Thank 748Pat
Iris D, General Manager at Hotel Cavtat, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Mrs.

Thank you for getting back with us through Trip Advisor!
After your mail I immediately went to check with Front office Manager what exactly happened that day. They explained me situation and I do agree with you that Jelena should explained you all on more appropriate way, being polite. She excused herself to You and to the hotel, but also was warned for this mistakes as I think such behaviour is unacceptable for a hotel.
I can also say I’m glad that moment didn`t spoiled your impressions of hotel and service overall!
Thank you for assuring us you will visit us again and once more I apologize in behalf of our hotel for that awkward moment!

Team of the hotel Cavtat wishes you all the best!

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Hotel Cavtat met and even exceeded the expectations we had for this hotel. The reason we choose Hotel Cavtat was because it was located in the town of Cavtat and didn’t involve encountering numerous steps from the hotel to the town. My husband had recently had a knee replacement and steps were a major consideration.

After a lot of research, particularly reading reviews here on TripAdvisor, we decided to stay in Cavtat rather than in Dubrovnik and we are so happy we did. Cavtat is in an idyllic setting with lots of beautiful walks and the main harbor and yachts there are a pleasure to behold. Whether you want casual or fine dining the choices of restaurants are numerous and all within minutes walking distance from Hotel Cavtat. It is a quiet location, no discos or chain restaurants and we hope that never changes!

Hotel Cavtat is a 3 star hotel and we were slightly concerned as to how we would find the accommodations etc. as compared to 4 and 5 star hotels. We needn’t have had any concerns because right from our first e-mail communication with Mario at the hotel, the service and hospitality we received was 5 star all the way. A great big “hvala” to you Mario for everything!

The rooms are smaller than those in larger hotels and the beds are two single beds pushed together, the mattresses are very firm! Likewise the bathroom is also smaller with just a shower stall. However everything in the room, e.g. air conditioning, TV, hot water, shower, worked perfectly. We had a room with a balcony overlooking the beautiful bay and sitting on the balcony enjoying the view and peace was a pleasure. The housekeeping staff were hard workers and all the public areas were spotlessly clean and Petra, our housekeeper, kept our room immaculate.

WiFi is available in the common areas of the hotel. The reception staff will give you a connection cable to use in your room if requested. This is what we used all the time for internet and the connection was fast with no problems.

What we particularly enjoyed about Hotel Cavtat was the wonderful hospitality we experienced with all the staff. Unlike the larger hotels which can be impersonal, you get to know the regular staff in smaller hotels and the staff in Hotel Cavtat went out of their way as far as efficiency, hospitality and graciousness was concerned. We were on the same floor as Reception and were always warmly greeted by the staff whenever we passed the desk. Thank you Tonći (the man who never sleeps!) Jelena, Matea and Luca for your excellent service.

We had breakfast at the hotel each morning . There were many hot dishes available, however we don’t normally eat a large meal at breakfast so we just enjoyed the very good selection of fruits, cheeses, cereals and breads. The dining room staff were welcoming and very efficient, tables were cleared promptly and food replenished at the buffet. At breakfast each day Saša taught me a new Croation phrase and we had fun ‘conversing’ back and forth. "Hvala Saša , bilo je lijepo razgovarati s tobom!"
Ivico kept us amused with his very outgoing personality and we found that he had once lived in Canada not too far from us. Small world!

Prior to our visit to Cavtat I had a problem with my knee and had been receiving physiotherapy and was wearing a tensor bandage. When I passed by the Lavanda Spa, Vinko Markoni, the physio and massage therapist, was standing outside and noticed the bandage and asked me what my knee problem was. When I told him, he said he had a procedure that might heal it. I decided to try it because the way it felt, I doubted that I would be able to walk the wall in Dubrovnik because of the pain. I also planned to walk up to the Mausoleum. After 2 treatments, my knee was pain free and I was able to walk everywhere, up and down multiple steps and haven’t had a problem since. So a very big “hvala” to Vinko for your miracle work!

Since we’ve been home, our friends are all asking “how was your vacation?” and our response is that it was one of the best we’ve ever had. We’ve travelled to many places in Europe, Canada, U.S., South and Central America and the Caribbean and found that the people of Croatia, particularly those we met in Cavtat, were among the most hospitable, friendly and welcoming people in the world. Some of our friends are now planning to visit Croatia and we’ll definitely be back to Hotel Cavtat, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: Request a room on a top floor with an unobstructed seafront view and balcony
7  Thank AnneCrt

Dear Guest,

Thank you for very nice comments on Trip Advisor!
Article as yours is one that makes me feel happy whole day. It is pleasure to read nice compliments on our team, how nice and professional they are.
We were aware from the begging that we can`t change shape of the hotel, size of the bedrooms and bathrooms but what we decided was to do our best to make guests feel nice and comfortable. As you mentioned, large hotels sometimes might be impersonal and being not too big hotel we can be really polite, pay attention to the details, always on disposal to our guests as entire team is just like one big family. I`m glad you felt that atmosphere and you enjoyed your stay!
In behalf of each staff member thank you once more for being our guests and for compliments to each of them!

Friendly and welcoming team of the hotel Cavtat wishes you all the best and we hope to welcome you again in our hotel!

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks through Thomson holidays. In my opinion the hotel has the best position in Cavtat, directly opposite a beautiful bay. The room we had was number 233 and had a fantastic view across the bay. The room was a reasonable size and well furnished. The shower room was adequate but needed a little updating. The public rooms are spacious and well furnished and the staff everywhere in the hotel were very helpful, polite and pleasant. The hotel is clean, bright and cheerful.

Opposite the hotel is a bathing platform, well equipped with sunbeds and shades but in September the hours of sunshine on the platform are somewhat limited.

The only downside of the hotel is the food. We found it lukewarm, repetitive and unappetising. We would not hesitate to stay at the hotel again but is would be on a room only or bed and breakfast basis.

2  Thank Juno949

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sending your comments on Trip Advisor!
I`m glad you enjoyed your stay in the hotel Cavtat and that you were happy overall with the hotel and our service! We are aware we had to change something about restaurant buffet food so a week ago we put new person on position of the hotel Chef. We gave him an opportunity to improve situation. So far we have nice reviews on buffet food and hopefully it will get better each day.
You are mentioning you will be back again in the hotel Cavtat and I hope next time you will feel improvement even if you decide to stay on B&B basis.

Wishing you all the best we hope to welcome you next year!

Hotel “Cavtat”

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavtat
Hotel Croatia Cavtat
Villa Pattiera
Villa Pattiera
#5 of 18 in Cavtat
Sheraton Dubrovnik Riviera Hotel

Been to Hotel Cavtat? Share your experiences!