“Do not book unless on package deal” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Cavtat

Hotel Cavtat
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Cavtat
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Do not book unless on package deal”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Beware this is package holiday hotel and not to be booked for short stays at high prices.

The hotel management are not interested at all.

The restaurant staff have not got a clue
This is a hotel set up for package holidays and not for the short stay client.
First morning, it was a fight to get breakfast with about 70 guests and 2-3 staff. We waited for a table in the opening air to be cleaned and when we went to the buffet we came back to find it was taken by another couple.
Complained to staff without success.

The restaurant staff was not ready on 2nd morning and tables were not set. This was 7.20am and it was to be open at 7
The staff completed the setting of every table before ours. They actually put the sugar on the table when we had finished and were about to leave. The restaurant staff are not trained anywhere near what is required for hospitalitiy

The lobby staff were not pleasant and didn't even ask if we enjoyed our stay, any problems? or anything not even a good bye! they took our money and didn't even say thanks. I can strongly recommend that do not use this hotel for short stays of 1-6 nights as it is a package hotel for thomson and is set up only to provide the service befitting the package price paid .

For the price we paid 160 euros per night, there was little to no complementaries, the room floor tiles were worn bare and the whole room was a tired looking. Now, I see management are responding to negative comments on these website stating the hotel is tired and a full refurb is set for the winter but hey! we shouldn't be paying these prices now as a result.

The pictures of the food on the websites are misleading, this are anything like it, is not available. Its school dinners I'm afraid.

Room Tip: there is no tips i can give other than avoid unless on package deal
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank kelowna23
Iris D, General Manager at Hotel Cavtat, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for getting back with us on Trip Advisor!
I feel sorry you had impression that hotel management doesn`t care about guests as it is not true. Reading your comments I was upset and I had meeting with all department managers to check what happened as so far most of the guests are always pointing out how nice and pleasant staff is.
I apologies once more in a behalf of entire team as it seems you caught all bad moments in the hotel. For sure we will work on improvement of service as we don`t want our guests to leave hotel unhappy.
Photos you found on our web site are true but those are photos of meals in our a-la carte restaurant. On our terrace next to the sea guests can order something from a-la carte menu and meals you saw on our web site are those you will get if you order them from a-la carte menu. As you paid 160,00 EUR per day, you obviously booked through booking.com but those are price for BB service not HB dinner.
Sorry you left hotel with such bad feeling, for sure we will work harder on service in hotel while for shape of the hotel I hope winter refurbishment will make nice change.
We send you warmest regards from sunny and lovely Cavtat!

Hotel “Cavtat”

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Finnish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Leicester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

We had a week at the Hotel Cavtat in July. I chose it with difficulty having also looked closely at the Hotel Croatia. Judging by the reviews it seemed like an above average 3 star hotel in a very good location with some splendid views – in which case it would be excellent value for money. I also knew that there had been a change of ownership over the winter - so wasn't sure whether to expect improvement or relapse. After a week there I can confirm that it is value for money but I left it feeling that it could be so much better. That’s the quandary isn’t it? You up the rooms, the service and the food in a bid to take on the likes of the Hotel Croatia but the building will never be as good – and you’ll shake off many of your loyal customers. Our room was well furnished and clean. The balcony was OK with 80% of the sea view I would have wanted – but what view we did get was beautiful. Understand that there are two blocks of rooms, one behind the other and some of the rooms in the rear block must have had pretty disappointing views – make sure you check this. The ‘much better opportunity’ was definitely the bathroom which was smallish with a poor shower and no bath. It looked grubby in the corners and a bit tired overall. The public areas were good and the staff on reception always friendly and helpful. And now the food. We heard a number of complaints from guests who had stopped there before (for one couple this was their 10th successive year) who said the quality of the food had plummeted since the change of ownership and the loss of the chef. I don’t know about that but our first two evening meals were quite average – not so much in terms of choice but in the fact that the food wasn’t hot enough. By the third this had improved and actually I ended up having some really good meals. Breakfast was OK with the same issue about how hot the food was. The service was enthusiastic if lacking in the slickness you get with a better class of hotel. There was entertainment on a couple of evenings. As I’ve yet to experience any form of hotel entertainment that entertains me we’ll leave it at that. There was a terrace bar across the road in front of the hotel and right next to the sea which was really good. I may review Cavtat separately on another occasion but imagine the joy of sea, boats and mountains alongside a cold beer. In summary I would give 7/10 for the room, 7/10 for the food, 9/10 for the terrace bar and 9/10 for the location. It was good value for money. But keep your expectations sensible. If you want 4 star then you’ll have to pay for it and hope you get it.

Room Tip: Go for a high room in the front block
4 Thank IANM7
Dear Guests,
Thank you for nice, realistic overview on the hotel “Cavtat”!
We are aware that hotel needs changes but we took it over in February and we had only 3 months to prepare it for new season. In the begging we were thinking shall we make any changes, shall we invest some money but then we realised we are short with time and to make some good changes we just won`t have enough time. So we`ve decided just to clean it deeply, paint the walls, and get it ready for the season. Finale decision was to get in season and follow guests’ inputs about quality of the hotel, service so at the end of the season we can have clear picture what we have to change, what guests prefer. That is why for us each feedback from guests is input which actions we have to make at the end of season.
We are also preparing trainings for staff for winter period, education seminars as our entire team is new (we didn`t take over staff from the last management as they are contracted by Iberostar) and all trainings we are doing during daily operations which is sometimes too much for staff as they are trained and still have to preform daily operations.
But of course you are our guests who paid for service and we are here obliged to do our best to make you happy!

We hope to welcome you again next year and in meantime we send you warmest regards from Cavtat!

deeside scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

We visited this hotel in June for a weeks half board stay. For us this was our first holiday in 4 years so we decided to go for a 5 star hotel and spoil ourselves. We were not disappointed.
The location is only 10 mins from Airport defo a plus point. Checking in was fast and friendly with all questions dealt with efficiently.
We had a seaview room - only on 3rd floor - if we return we would request a higher level for sure.
Rooms are great and the room staff are 1st class. The food is faultless - a lot of veal but no complaints. The breakfast buffet suits all. We found the drink expensive but there are numerous bars and a supermarket in Cavtat.
Croatia is stunning and highly recommended. We hire a car - cheap and fuel is cheap - went through to Montenegro - KOTOR - and did the walled city - not for the faint hearted - Also did Dubrovnik walled city - much much easier and beautiful.
Thanks again to all the staff in the hotel - hopefully will return in the future.

Room Tip: Try and request a seaview room on a high level.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank easttown227
Iris D, General Manager at Hotel Cavtat, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to inform you that you send comments on a wrong page, as obviously it was meant for the hotel "Croatia" 5* which is our neighbour hotel.

Warmest regards!

Hotel "Cavtat"
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at this lovely hotel. The room was lovely (322) with beautiful sea views. The lady who cleaned our room did a super job and we were delighted with her. The hotel staff were kind and very helpful and when I say hotel staff - I do mean all of them - reception, bar staff, dining room/kitchen- everybody.

The hotel is beautiful and clean and air con in our room was fine.

Yes the hotel is basic and yes it does need refurbishing but the present owners have only taken over at the beginning of the season and I am sure that in the following year(s) they will do what is required. But it is only a 3* and I the level of accommodation (not service) does reflect this - and what is wrong with that - I only paid a 3* price.

Many many people who were on half board were complaining about the evening meal and when I listened to what they expected I was genuinely surprised. Their expectations far exceeded what I would expect from a 3* hotel - but then we are all different. We were only b@b and breakfast was fine - exactly what I would expect. I'm not going to go into details - many reviewers have already done that - and a splendid job they have done too.

We had some super evening meals and I will write reviews on those on a later date.

So why haven't I given it a full rating?
I do understand that the hotel requires refurbishment but even in a 3* I would expect there to be a hairdryer in the room, or to be able use my own. You can get them from reception but it is still an inconvenience - the temptation to appear in reception just wearing a towel (fresh from the shower) with wet hair was quite strong, in order to make the point - but I did resist. Also not having a fridge was a real disappointment. All other hotels I have been in abroad (yes 3*) have had both a fridge and a hairdryer and we have also been allowed to use a travel kettle when there was not a complimentary hospitality tray.

So the question is - would I go back?

A resounding yes- many thanks Cavtat hotel - we had a wonderful time!

4 Thank lynne27
Iris D, General Manager at Hotel Cavtat, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for writing such nice review on hotel Cavtat!
We are all pleased you enjoy your stay and that you have such positive feedback. I must also tell you that you are part of the group of guests who are enjoying our atmosphere and our food. We have sometimes strange situation, big part of guests really enjoy in the hotel, they like food and are giving us just nice compliments that we offer authentic Croatian food, fresh and tasty. They promise to come back next year and then we have maybe some 15% of guests who simply don`t like our food, they can`t find anything for themselves on our buffet table. Of course we would be more than happy to make all our guests satisfied so such situations make us sad. All the time we are trying to find the best way to keep happy guests happy all the time and also for unhappy ones to find the best way to suite them.
I agree with you that we have weakness as dated rooms, no hairdryer, no fridge. When we took over hotel in spring owner was thinking maybe to start immediately part of refurbishment but since we were short with time (just two months till opening) we decided to wait end of season and then in November start refurbishment. So next year when you visit us again hopefully you will fully enjoy in nicer hotel and with the same kind and helpful staff.
Once more thank you for visiting us and thank you confirming your arrival next year!
Hotel Cavtat team wish you all the best!

Maastricht, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

This was our 5th vacation in the beautiful village of Cavtat and also our 5th consecutive stay in hotel Cavtat, formerly Iberostar Cavtat. Fully agree with previous reviewers who give a very good impression about the village and environment. We like the village, its environment, its summer festival events and its people very much and it's always a joy to return to Cavtat. Hotel Cavtat is a good choice as it is situated only 5 minutes walk to the bus station and center of the village. Rooms need to be refurbished, but that didn't bother us as they are kept clean. What did bother us this year was the food (half board) and the sometimes chaotic proceedings in the restaurant. Most of the times the presentation and quality of the food was very poor. Also often not very tasteful and little varation, which gets annoying when you stay there for two weeks. The first week vegetables 4 times consisted of a mix of carrots, broccoli and cauliflower, the next week 3 times. Salad buffet always consisted of lettuce, carrot, white cabbage and tomato parts. Sandwich meat (think the cheapest kind of meat) from breakfast re-appeared in the dinner buffet except on Wednesday when they offered salami and smoked Dalmatian ham. Beef stew contained parts of the sausages from breakfast. Truly disappointing! Shouldn't be that difficult to offer a bit more variation and better quality, but perhaps that has something to do with a too tight budget for the food. Restaurant staff was friendly, but seemingly not well organized as they often didn't had a good overview when to clear the table and set the table again. It's obvious there has been a lot of work to do regarding the restaurant part of the hotel. Average rating is mainly based on the food. If this hadn't been so disappointing we would have rated it very good.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Theo T
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion regarding hotel Cavtat with Trip Advisor.
I feel sorry you weren`t happy with food. You are right that few times some side dishes were repeating on buffet table but now we agreed with kitchen to stick tightly to their two weeks menus. According to our two weeks menu, each day we have different menu so there shouldn`t be any repeating of same dishes.
I`m glad you were happy overall with staff and hotel! We do plan to refurbish rooms after summer season so next season hotel should have refreshed look.
Anyway we hope you will visit us next year for the sixth time!
Team of the hotel Cavtat wishes you all the best!

camberley uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

Cavtat is naturally beautiful and the movement of boats big and small means that there is always something to catch the attention on the sea. The adriatic at it's best.

The hotel is set in prime location on the sea fron of one of the bays that make up the bay. There is a concrete terrace by the sea for sun lounging with steps giving easy access to a calm sea. Excellent for swimming.

We did not get the sea view room we booked but the side view held it's own interest overlooking the town so we didn't winge. The room was clean with plenty of storage but a small to medium characterless box with a small shower room. It was sufficient.

The food was OK, buffets with soup, salad, a meat dish, a fish dish, veg, bread, desert. With the budget that they have for food with the half board option they did fine and having two disappointing meals when we ate out we ate in five times out of seven. The breakers buffet was pretty well the same each day, hot and cold,but enough for us to vary what we had each day.

The cafe bar has a superb postion overlooking the sea terace and out across the bay, brilliant for an evening drinky or two but good for a light lunch.

Had a great holiday and the hotel was fine and it delivers what it promises but what it promises is a three star experience so don't set your expectations too high.

6 Thank JohnCamberleyUK
Iris D, General Manager at Hotel Cavtat, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your opinion regarding hotel Cavtat with Trip Advisor.
I appreciate your comments as they are real and objective. We are working hard to composite our 3* budget with good and friendly atmosphere in which guests can feel good and comfy having good time during their holiday in Cavtat. From your words I can feel you had good time, you enjoyed this area and hotel, which is the most important thing.
We all hope to welcome you again next year!
Warmest regards from team of the hotel “Cavtat”!

Iris Domazet Malobabić
General Manager of the hotel “Cavtat!
Man of Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

Having cruised the Dalmation Islands and visited Split and Dubrovnic in recent years we decided to take a week's break on the Croatian mainland. Our holiday was based in the Hotel Cavtat and coincided with a period of extremely high temperatures and 'wall-to-wall' sunshine! It was therefore very comforting to find that its air-conditioning system functioned perfectly in the room we occupied. Other parts of the hotel were also well-ventilated and cooler than the outside temperature.

Our room was on the third floor and had a spacious balcony, (which, in the hot circumstances, was not used to any great extent). There was a great view of the Adriatic Sea in the bay in which Cavtat is situated. In the room the beds were firm but comfortable and the furnishings adequate with sufficient space in the built-in wardrobes for the usual suitcase contents. The bathroom was equipped with modern fittings and a shower but no bath. There was no safe or minibar in the room and any valuables should be deposited at reception for safe-keeping.

As the hotel is situated on rising ground the 'third' floor is in fact one floor below the reception area, while the lowest floor has an exit onto the small lower road between it and the sea's edge. The hotel's bar is situated here, nicely shaded and served by the helpful bar staff. A useful lunch menu is available (the fish and chips are very good!) together with tea, coffee and a variety of beers and wine for refreshments at most times of the day.

Access to the sea for swimming is from the rocks at the sea's edge and the 'beach' is in fact a concrete area upon which sun beds and loungers are situated to make it a quiet and restful, and sometimes shaded, area for the hotel.

Our accommodation was on a bed and breakfast basis so I can not comment on the catering save to say that the breakfasts consist of the usual choices of cereals, cold meats, cheeses and the hot dishes of scrambled and boiled eggs, bacon, sausages, tomatoes and the like. Toast and various fruit and jams are also available and we found the quality and quantity to be perfectly adequate during our stay.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and the accommodation kept clean and tidy every day. We would certainly return there for subsequent visits and found Cavtat to be a lovely little town and the hotel well situated within it. There are a variety of restaurants, pizzerias, coffee shops and bars there to cater for most tastes.

5 Thank jacksboy
Dear Guest,
Thank you for nice comments on hotel “Cavtat”!
I`m always pleased to read nice compliments from guests who were happy staying in our hotel. Thank you also for nice description of the hotel Cavtat, as very often is strange for some guests to enter reception area on top floor and then to walk down toward restaurant and rooms. We also put new tables on walls marking directions of each area as it is bit confusing first day you enter hotel to find specific department. And I think with signs on wall on in elevator it become easier.
I`m glad you enjoyed on out terrace having a-la carte food and drinks, as terrace has nice location in shade of pine trees, especially helpful during this hot summer days.
Thank you for compliments on our team as I know they are always pleased to read nice words as I know how hard they are working and each nice word is very important to them.
Hopefully we will welcome you again next year, in meantime we send you warmest regards from a “beautiful location”!
Iris Domazet Malobabić
General Manager of the hotel “Cavtat!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavtat
Hotel Croatia Cavtat
Hotel Dubrovnik Palace
Hotel Dubrovnik Palace
#9 of 66 in Dubrovnik
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,778 reviews

Been to Hotel Cavtat? Share your experiences!