“Great location, poor service.”

Bluesun Hotel Elaphusa
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Bol
Reviewed September 21, 2011

This hotel is in a great location; as everyone else says it's 5-10 min to Zlatni Rat and 10-15 into Bol town. Bol is lovely. The sea is too nice to bother using the hotel pool in my opinion.

I arrived feeling tired after a long journey to the hotel (bus from Split airport, ferry across to Superar then taxi ride to Bol - it all adds and so bear that in mind). I was given a a lovely room in C block but the door wouldn't lock. The woman on reception said that she couldn't
change my room until the evening when the "chief" came on shift . I pointed out that this meant I would be stuck in my room for hours (I wanted to go out and start enjoying my holiday) and when I indicated that this wasn't acceptable, a spare room miraculously became available. I was then moved to B block, which hasn't been refurbished for a while and looks like something from the set of Poirot. However, my door locked and I couldn't face complaining to the hard faced receptionist again and/ or moving all of my things again. This particular receptionist had such a bad attitude; I avoided her for the rest of the stay (the others were very polite). Oh, just to add, it took 2 days for staff open the safe in my room (the second room - it wasn't really ready for occupancy). I actually wanted to leave the hotel early but I wouldn't have been given a refund.

As for food: well, it's fine if you can find a table (a struggle at breakfast time) and be prepared to join a long queue for hot drinks. On a positive note, the hotel is very clean and the chambermaid, Monika, was lovely.

I would love ot come back to Bol but I certainly wouldn't recommend the Elaphusa unless perhaps you're really into the sports and spa facilities and make the most of them. Based on my experienceof this and other hotels in Croatia and Europe, this is not up to the standards of a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid B block, which hasn't been refurbished recently and had a rather outdated art deco theme...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Mary75London

Reviewed September 19, 2011

The hotel is in an excellent location, 10 minute walk to the famous Zlatni Rat beach and 15 mins to the town. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the hotel has extensive facilities such as gyms, spa and a nightclub.

I was really impressed with the quality of the hotel and good value. One recurring problem with island hotels I stayed in in Croatia is the occasional sewage smell in the bathrooms caused by the poor drainage on the island. It is not enough to spoil your stay but is something they really need to address if possible as it is not ideal!

Overall though I was impressed with this place and it's a great place to stay in Bol.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Trigtravels
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Spent lovely two weeks just resting and enjoying the diving, pool and local beaches. Had to travel along way for trips etc as on an island. Very friendly staff bars locally quiet at night but bol is buzzing every night. Couple of points to note transfer time for us was not 2 and ahalf hours more like 7hours at night so very tired next day. Food good staff lovely and friendly and always helpful. Snorkelling great. Beaches all pebbly so bring shoes to go in water and v little shade so hv to pay for umbrellas. Found lovely beach oN second to last day (isnt that always the way!) that suited us lots of shade, great snorkelling small but good foodie restaurant, had to get there early to bag a space Go othr side of to restaurant bar which is on small headland just other side is the beach b there by 10 am or all shade gone music constant from bar but real cheesy 89s music which put a smile on my face!

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed August 21, 2011

After a week spent in the hotel i must say we are glad to have choosen Le Meridian in Split.

Gently stuff, quality food ( remarkable the large offer for breakfast ) , infinity free activities and not overcrowded SPA. Very close to the beach, which is almost private, and a magnificent pool oriented to the sunset. Recommend the yoga and brething techniques lessons.

The clean room service forgot some times to put new towels and bring new glasses and we didnt expect to pay for the parking 10€/day.

A very good experience after all. We reach to destressed ourselves.

Recommended.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pagora959
Reviewed July 30, 2011

The hotel is clean and modern. The staff is ok and everything seems to work well. We were given probably the lousiest room in the hotel but it was changed immediately when we asked to. Also, the air condition was given more power right away after we asked to. The wellness center looks very good and it must really be worth visiting, since it was fully booked when trying to get an appointment 24 hours in advance.

In late July, the hotel was full of families. Even though I like kids, the screaming during the breakfast and by the pool made us escape. We never even thought of having a dinner at the hotel and we were happy on the beach instead of the pool - which would have been nice if not so crowded.

There are some weird features in the hotel. The Taverna seems to be open at random times. It was no open when we arrived around 10PM, but it was open on a rainy day even though it says to offer services from 6PM to 12PM. Food is anyway the most complex issue in the hotel: it is not always available and if you get hungry around 2PM-7PM, you might stay hungry. Why? Should I be aware of what time it is when on holiday? The pool bar is closed if the weather is bad and there are not too many restaurants close to the hotel. Or when asked, no one in Elaphusa will tell about those options.

Why can't the hotel have a privat section on the beach? The beach chairs are expensive and it does not feel ok to pay for them only because you were not quick enough to reserve a chair by the pool.

One more weird pehonomenon is that to be able to pay with your hotel key card, you need to carry around the paper cover with the room number on it. Isn't that the first thing you should not do, hold the key and address together? The more sophisticated way would be that when you pay with the key card you should be able to tell the correct room number, which you cannot do with a stolen/lost card.

This is a great place for families and maybe during other seasons for other guests too. There are lots of services for families, like bowling. Anyway, when traveling as a couple, I would probably look for something more more relaxed.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Bit of a surprise ending up at the Elaphusa, as we'd booked the Borak, only to find a note stating 'Hotel Closed - all enquiries to Hotel Elaphusa' when we got there! The Elaphusa sorted us out, with one of their cheaper rooms (facing the hillside and no balcony), but it was pleasant enough, clean, well furnished and very effective air-con. The Elaphusa is a big hotel, with lots of long, marble-lined and slightly clinical-looking corridors but, once you've orientated yourself, it's all rather nice. The outdoor pool area is excellent, the Vallum Kordoba (Greek Taverna style) restaurant is wonderful, bar prices are reasonable and it's just a 5 minute walk from the famous Zlatni Rat beach on one side and downtown Bol on the other. Staff were invariably friendly and helpful. Would definitely consider staying there again if we ever return to the lovely Brac island.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cartimand
Reviewed June 1, 2011

We recently stayed at the above hotel for a week and wished we had booked for longer. The room was clean and comfortable and also a much needed balcony, overlooking the sea.
The staff were extremely polite ,patient and kind and spoke very good English, especially Neven Bilis,
Although i am disabled and found some of the hotel difficult to manouvre we have been assured that changes to some areas are on this years agenda for improvement.
My husband and i spent a lovely week at the hotel food was good area was very pretty and plenty of amenities for everyone.
Thankyou everyone at the Hotel Elephusa maybe see you again one day.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank juliemartin44
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bol
Hotel Bol
#1 of 1 in Sutivan
Hotel Villa Adriatica
Hotel Villa Adriatica
#1 of 8 in Supetar

Been to Bluesun Hotel Elaphusa? Share your experiences!