All reviews aman properties breakfast lounge swimming pool old town gm property hill spa guests noise altitude design china english tourists
Selected filters
Reviewed October 2, 2018

The hospitality of Amandayan is legendary. The place is well run and you feel utterly pampered. Staff move silently and are extremely discreet. Great leadership of the GM who personally attends to the details. Ensure however that you can cope with pebbled stone and steps (true of the Old Town, Lijiang)

You need to be able to cope with steps and there are no disabled facilities

Room tip: Depending on how far you wish to walk, the property is spread out and there are quiet rooms in blocks away from reception
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed September 8, 2018 via mobile

This wonderful place is real luxury and original „ china“ feel. You are treated like royalty with very smooth colors and wooden materials all handmade and very well chosen. The cultural heritage old town is next door to explore as the hotel is nearly part of it. You arrive and don’t want to leave the site as you really get the best „ old „ china feel in a very relaxed and enjoyable way you can wish for. Also there is a fantastic team - who tries to fulfill your wishes and to help to make your stay a true memory - among others were Eric bd Serena st reception, Rebecca at the tests and the wonderful massage therapist. Very important as well / you can easy travel with English as the staff is fluent.

Highly recommend- we will be back

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank andreafuhrmann
Reviewed May 3, 2018

We stayed for 6 nights. So we kind-of can lay claim that we do know this resort rather well.

Don't get me wrong. If its has been other less illustrious boutique hotel, I would have given higher rank.. But this is AMAN and you pay AMAN prices. So the bar is set alot higher here.

Lets start with the pluses -
1. Love the design of the property incld the rooms. Very nicely done inspired by the graceful Naxi ancient buildings in Lijiang. Well equipped and designed room. Very spacious with a wonderful bathroom. And a nice TV too!

2. Location - Is is situated at a hill overlooking the old town of Lijiang. Accessible easily by walking. Note - there are only 2 such international hotels - Aman and Intercontinental. And with all due respect to Intercon....Aman still tops it. And it very strategic to stay within walking distance of the ancient town. Not only it is more atmospheric and charming but it is more convenient for you to leisurely explore each niche and corner of the old town. And you should do that for each turn brings a new delight especially as you wander off the tourists trodden paths.

3. Food here is good. Esp at the Chinese restaurant and Tea house. Breakfast ala carte range is extensive.Do esp try the Tea House too. It has a nice view. Very peaceful. And serve some really nice snacks and chinese tea (which is a specialty in this region). On a nice day, i could spend hours in the al fresco section just reading.

4. A nice touch is they provide fresh new local cookies each night for night cap and a new token souvenir for each day.

5. Staff are nice and friendly. Speaking passable English for our convenience.

Now the minuses -

1. Service at restaurant esp breakfast lounge is slow. This is particularly a problem during breakfast when you are rushing for your tours or transfer to airports. A simple breakfast can set you back 45min during 'peak' period. By that I meant 4 other tables? Likewise for dinner if there are more then 3 tables! We made this observation when the occupancy were supposed to be lower as it was off season.

2. Staff while polite and gracious were not well trained in servicing patrons esp in the F&B outlets. Orders take a long time. Limited explanation or recommendation given. Staff does not seem to know their products and offering well.

3. While it was great to be able to walk to the old town via the back door. This door closes at 8pm. Should you want to return later, you need to prearrange with the hotel or call them. Both which were impractical. The former is inflexible and the latter - most of us do not have local prepaid SIM call. I cannot understand why a simple solution like an intercom cannot be adopted.
Likewise if you are returning to the hotel by taxi. You need to call the hotel at the gantry at the base of the hill (remember Aman sits on the hill) to clear the taxi no before they allow you access up the hill. Again this requires the use of local sim card. Cannot understand why a simple walkie talkie between security at gantry and hotel reception to verify guest particulars cannot be adopted.

4. Manager - I am very surprised and somewhat disappointed, the GM did not spend some time walking around interacting with the guests. In a boutique hotel setting such as this, you would expect at some point for the GM to drop by to interact with the guests for more cosy and personal touch. We stayed there for 6 (yes SIX) nights, nary a hello, handshake or a check if everything is fine.

By the way - do note that since Aman sits on a hill overlooking the old town - which is great, coming home on foot up the hill at altitude of 2400m (Lijiang's elevation) after a long day of walking - can be quite a challenge. You can do it if you are reasonably healthy but it is not a walk in the park.

So yes, I think for now it is still the best game in town. And I did enjoyed my stay despite all those minuses. Would still recommended it. But come with managed expectations. This is almost an Aman but really more like a good clone of Aman.

Room tip: Rooms on 2nd level. More spacious, better view and more privacy
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank Navigator22
Reviewed January 6, 2018 via mobile

As a Amanjunkie over years, I admire Aman’s effort to have built this context-aware resort overlooking Lijiang’s stunning old town.
Despite a few issues before check-in, we had a wonderful 3-night stay with attentive and considerate staff. Amandayan enhanced the feeling of staying in a secluded mountain lodge.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank anthonylG9849VQ
Reviewed November 23, 2017 via mobile

My family and I stayed at the Aman for a few nights and had the best time. The staff was very attentive from the beginning to the very end. June and Peter greeted us with the biggest most contagious smiles. I was not feeling too well when I arrived and they made sure I got some tea and even went a step further and brought oxygen to the room to help with my breathing. They were also kind enough to check how I was feeling the following day. The altitude affected me a little but my husband and 9 year old was fine the whole time. It amazed me that all the staff knew us by name, even those we were meeting for the first time. My daughter left her kindle on the flight to Lijiang and the staff was able to reach out to the airline and locate it for us.They even reminded us when we were checking out to pick it up at the airport. Do yourself a favor and stay at this hotel. They go above and beyond.

Date of stay: November 2017