See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed August 1, 2014

I stayed here for 5 days in July and I truly fell in love with Li Jiang. Between the cool weather, good food, fresh air and beautiful historical architecture, this is a MUST see city. My favorite part of the day was just before lunch time. At that time, the cool breeze would bring the smells of all the delicious Chinese food being prepared. The Old City is pretty quiet at that time as well. I found the hotel also stunning in the same way and it must be hundreds of years old. Outside my simple room there was a beautiful garden with a pond complete with turtles. This is a very Chinese hotel, not Western at all. Do not expect to find sausages and eggs for included breakfast. They have Chinese breakfast and it was excellent. Each day I would have noodle soup and Chinese tea. The beds are firm and you are paying for the culture, history and location with this hotel. It is not a typical Western-style hotel at all.
The Hotel is very close to the North mouth of Old Town, by the big Wooden Water wheel. The bar street and all the shopping and food is literally 1 or 2 minutes from the hotel. Lijiang Old Town is very easy to get lost in when you wander around. Also, I couldn’t imagine trying to find Old Town hotels on your own as taxis cannot drive into Old Town. Courier Inn picks you up at the airport and takes you all the way to the hotel. My personal favorite thing to do during my visit is to skip the jammed, busy main Old Town area and head up hill from Courier Inn. Once you walk up the hill, there are some very nice places to watch the view and drink tea. It is away from the crowd, but has a better view. If you haven’t tried Black Pu ‘er Tea from Yunnan, you must. It quickly became my favorite tea. It has an earthy, unmistakable flavor.
As far as food goes, Lijiang Old Town is full of many, many delights. They have many snack streets or snack restaurants that have tons of variety. One interesting thing I tried was a Naxi sandwich. It was very interesting and very spicy.
The hotel staff does not speak much English, but that is totally understandable since this is China.. One employee, Robert, does speak excellent English.

There are only 2 downsides that I feel compelled to mention. The first is Bar Street which I think is a downside of both the hotel and Old Town. From I think 6 PM to midnight every night, the bars start blaring (I mean loud enough for the next Province to hear) their respective music programs. If you are staying in Courier Inn and wanted to go to sleep before midnight – forget it, it is not possible. The music pounded on my windows every night. It is just too loud, no need for that. I also think it clashes with the whole vibe of the city. You have this UNESCO World Heritage site that is so beautiful and peaceful nestled in the mountains and they cheapen the whole experience with this bad, loud music.

Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Matt S
Reviewed May 25, 2013

The travel agency booked the hotel for us. The comment on the web site is not bad. However, it disappointed me so much as we were assigned with an old, broken room. They are having renovation in the hotel and I saw they have some good rooms. But as we arrived late (and I am not sure if those newly renovated rooms are at higher price or not), we got assigned with an old room. My friends room is very small so they give me a bigger one. But the floor tiles are broken that each time I stepped on it, I afraid that I would fall to the lower floor. The room is dark. The ceiling with mold. There is a pole just in front of the room door that I have once trapped when get in the room. Although it has a big jacuzzi in the bath room, I won't enjoy a bath in it under such environment. I did not get a good sleep during the two nights of my stay. But however, I have to give a big thumb to the waiter at the lounge at the roof. His service is great.

Date of stay: May 2013
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Bobo066
Reviewed January 11, 2011

The setting was romantic as our room had a fantastic view of sunrise but that was about it. Our frustration with the hotel began with an exhausting search for it. There's no "Courier Inn Lijiang" sign at the entrance. Instead it is known as "Tao Hua Dao" ! In the evening, it was hard to retire early due to the loud music from the pubs nearby. There was also no chance for us to sleep in because of construction going on behind our room. Another frustration was the lack of a closet to store our things. All they had were some wallmounted hangers and coathangers which were really inadequate.

Date of stay: December 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank NinaAsia
Reviewed November 1, 2010

This hotel is unique with local color but not really worth a 4 but barely a 3. There was only hot water at certain times, it was loud at night, no tv or heat/ac remotes...[had to hunt them down in some other room], key had to be reprogrammed often, huge moldy area and warped floor at bath. We found that much better places can be found in Lijiang cheaper and with better quality. This place was difficult to find and very little English was available...mostly sign language and drawing pictures worked. The name is completely different in Chinese. We had to get a print of the translation. It is rundown and needs an overhaul. It was so dark in the rooms we had to wear headlamps to get around. Light switches were sticky...ew! It was the one place where we did get washcloths and the shower was good when there was hot water! We did love the location and walking all around Old Lijiang. Oh...there was a nice big slab computer desk to use that we liked and the beds were not as horribly stiff as some in China.

Date of stay: November 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2010

Very nice hotel, with very friendly and helpful staff, specially one receptionist. At that time, I was looking for new train tickets (which should be booked through one agency!) and he offered his help without hesitation, calling around asking for options. We stayed only one night and came way too early (8 am), but immediately got two rooms (of 4).

Date of stay: September 2010