“Good location. Interesting hotel.”

Palace Hotel (Wang Fu Hotel)
Ranked #33 of 928 Hotels in Lijiang
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Good location. Interesting hotel.”
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Situated within the Lijiang Old Town, this is a touristy area but very good nevertheless. Excellent location, though you have to walk from the main road to the hotel, unless a golf buggy is available. Central Square in the Old Town is about a 20 minute walk through the little streets. The hotel is set around interesting courtyards which give it lots of character. Free wifi available but you can't pick it up in every bedroom. Rooms comfortable. Breakfast was OK, nothing special. The staff only spoke limited English, but we managed to make ourselves understood.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Shoneydog

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Seattle
Reviewed July 25, 2011

My family just stayed in the Wang Fu Hotel's so-called 5 star wing. All that means is that the rooms are larger than its 4 star wing, and since we had three people in one room we needed the space. However, I would rate this as a 3 star hotel overall based on the accomodations, cleanliness, and breakfast. We were there during the rainy season, which is July through mid-September. Even though we were on the second floor, the bathroom vents were leaking sewer gases, because one of the vents was right by the toilet. The shower barely worked, but it was difficult to be spend much time in the bathroom because of the sewage odors. Lijiang's old town is picturesque, but crowded. We went to adjacent small villages with a guide, and went up a chair lift on Snow Dragon Mountain up to a meadow. I would recommend staying in another hotel in the old city, however, since this hotel is quite basic

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Weston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 23, 2011

I stayed at the WangFu in Lijiang with some colleagues just before a business conference. Lijiang was a fantastic place to visit -- the old city, while full of kitchsy shops, was fascinating and fun to walk around at all hours. We hired an English-speaking guide -- Eric Yang, eric@lijiang-pro.com, www.lijiang-pro.com, HIGHLY recommended -- and visited Tiger Leaping Gorge and the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain, both of which are phenomenal if you've got good weather (we did).

We also enjoyed a stroll with Eric around Black Pool Park, which is accessible on foot from the north side of the old town -- we took a cab ride from the south side of the town to the north side of the park that went on forever (but was still only about $5), and when we were able to walk back out I wished we'd walked the whole way. We stopped for a tea ceremony over the lake and learned all about "tea culture" -- worth doing.

The WangFu was very nice in most respects. It was perfectly located on a square a 5-minute walk from the main road (no cars allowed -- be sure to have your cabbie, who almost surely won't speak English, call the hotel from the drop-off point and have them send their golf cart for you). The staff spoke enough English to get by, and were very friendly in their attractive Naxi (NA-shi) costumes. The hotel was charming, with many interior courtyards, a decent restaurant-bar, and an attached spa where you could get a 60-minute massage at just about any time for around $20.

The rooms were perfectly fine, nicely decorated and with all the amenities you'd need -- and one I didn't. They gave me a bowl of fruit every day, and I'm sorry to report that something nibbled at it two of the four nights I was there. Before you freak out, I never saw or heard anything, and when I called to report it the first time (late one night) they were horrified and offered to move me immediately, but I declined because it was so late. I assumed they'd set a trap or something and that would be the end of it, but no such luck -- my friend returned the last night and nibbled my fruit again. The consensus of my group was that it would take a mighty strong mouse to roll a pear up and out of a fruit basket and across the room -- I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

Frankly, I'd stay there again, and I urge you to consider it too, because staying in the old town itself is far superior to staying in the modern city and visiting, IMHO. They would have moved me, and my friends had no trouble whatsoever. Overall, I liked the Wangfu very much.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor near the lobby - too busy.
  • Stayed April 2011
2 Thank pjfrommass
Orpington, Kent
Reviewed December 9, 2010

The old town in Lijiang, where the hotel is situated was devastated in an earthquake 15 yrs ago. It, including the hotel, has been rebuilt in the original style. It's been very well done but it's a little too perfect and looks like a westerner's idea of ancient China- curly roofs, Chinese lanterns and quaintly dressed people. The hotel is large and ideally positioned just inside one of the entrances to the old town. Our deluxe room was very nice indeed and it's the only hotel I've ever stayed in which has instructions on what to do if there's an earthquake. (Basically, sit under a door frame and definitely don't go outside!)
Rooms are situated around courtyards so there's a feeling of spaciousness.
Unfortunately the restaurant doesn't live up to the rest of the hotel. The buffet breakfast was quite limited and the dining room is open to the elements on two sides. It must be great in the summer but it's rather cold and bleak when it's raining even when canvas walls were put in place. We had one evening meal in the hotel in order to watch some dancing which the hotel had arranged in the square outside. The meal was pretty mediocre and there are far better places in the town itself so I would recommend eating out. There is an enormous variety of restaurants very close at hand.
Reception staff are efficient and pleasant but, because it's quite a big hotel, it does lack the personal touch.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Annebailes
texas
Reviewed November 25, 2010

excellent location at the edge of the old town and is very convenient to walk there. I was there at the end of October and it was getting quite cold at night. There was no central heating but there is an overhead heating unit in the room near the bed. With the duvet and the heater, it was warm and comfortable. the same can't be said of the dining room. I ate dinner one night there wearing a light weight sweater not knowing there was no central heating. It made you appreciate the hot tea and you better eat fast. Otherwise the food will be cold before you have time to finish. Day time temperature in the restaurant was comfortable. Morning buffett breakfast is acceptable but don 't expect a lot of choices. Afterall this was a small hotel in Lijiang and we were not in a interenational hotel in Shanghai. You cannot sleep too early because it is pretty noisy outside the hotel. the walls are not sound proof and you can hear all the partying and singing in the early evening. all noises go away after 10pm and one can sleep the whole night without interruption.
Old town Lijiang is as good as described. The whole area is obviously rehabilitated for the tourists but it is no more fake then the medieval tourist town center in Tuscany. I know people live above the tourist shops because I saw plenty of women washing the clothes and washing their dinner vegetables in the town designated water wells and stream water collection area.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank hohoho1
Kfar Saba
Reviewed November 20, 2010

I recommend this hotel in the ancient (new) city. It has several buildings of hotels, we stayed in the one called "the palace hotel". They tried to be helpful even though very little English was spoken in the hotel. The rooms we got were very big and well equiped. They also gave fruit and water in the room. The beds were very big and comfortable.
When we were there they had a dance show at night of traditional Chinese dancing. We enjoyed it very much and joined in, It was lo\ts of fun. Everything you could want is in walking distance. good location.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
singapore
Reviewed November 17, 2010

I am still staying in the hotel as I write this. We are here for our honeymoon and the room was nicely decorated to indicate our newly wedded status.

The service provided was excellent and the room is very cosy. Although the hotel is not near the Sifangjie, it is still within walking distance. You will be glad for the peaceful nights in Lijiang as the bars are all located near Sifangjie. Breakfast in the courtyard in the nice cool weather was something to look forward to each morning.

The hotel staff was excellent especially the front reception. Particularly was one lady who goes by the number 037. She was knowledgeable and was able to help us in our daily trip planning effectively. Extra services like offerring nice, hot ginger tea at the lobby at night when we are lingering around is also a nice gesture.

Only downside was the lack of international TV programs (only have all chinese channels) and the seemingly weak heating system in the room. I will still stay here in future if I ever visit Lijiang again.

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple