“another discovery”
Review of Qingxi Reservoir

Qingxi Reservoir
Ranked #22 of 93 things to do in Lijiang
Reviewed July 18, 2016

Thought we give this one a chance, drove down the winding roads to reach the reservoir, a windy rainy day, just to add to the mood. Walked around, took the boat trip, lasted about 50 minutes, which sailed around the islands, life jackets are provided, if you ask for them. Nice place, but it has little in the way of shops and amenities.

Reviewed July 30, 2015

We had an hour to kill and based on the excellent reviews on tripadvisor, we took a small detour to the reservoir. Very happy we did! It's a bit on the small side for a reservoir. Not very busy though maybe because it's not famous as a tourist spot (yet!)

We walked 360 degrees around it in maybe 30 minutes at a leisure pace (cutting across the bridge). I think the full walk around would be 60 minutes although not needed for scenery. There's a small climb of about 20 steps to get to the top of the reservoir and then great calming views. In addition, if you don't wan to do the full 360, there are car access points on both sides of the reservoir. Walk along 3 sides of the reservoir and then have your car pick you up on the other entrance/exit.

There are also some wetlands on both sides of the reservoir that looked interesting but we didn't have time to wander through them. If you want, you can also bring your swimsuit and join the locals in swimming although I would not recommend a bikini for women.

A beautiful photo spot with the bridge and the mountain in the background! As it's free, and between Lijiang/Shuhe old town, relatively close, an excellent way to kill an hour or two if you have it.

Reviewed April 22, 2015

I enjoyed my lunch overlooking the reservoir. People were enjoying swimming there, I guess the water wasn't too cold and there were several stalls selling inflatables to play with. There were food stalls there as well. I walked around the circumference and took some nice photos of the bridges and you can see the Snow Mountain from there too.

Reviewed April 21, 2015

From the northern gate of Lijiang Old Town, the Snow Mountain appeared to me so near so I thought I could walk from the Old Town to the foothill of the Snow Mountain and I walked and walked but the mountain still appeared so lofty near but it was really far away. When I asked someone along the way if I could reach the foothill of the mountain, she looked at me in puzzle. She must have thought I was a nut when she replied that that was the way to the foothill. I met another local who then told me that the mountain is 25 km from the old town and I need to take a transport to the mountain.

Nevertheless, in the midst of my search, I wandered into this Qingxi Reservoir and I was amazed by the picturesque and awesome view of the Snow Mountain from here. The turquoise water in the reservoir sparkled lustrously under the scorching sun and the place was so tranquil and windy that you felt so relaxed under the willow trees. I saw a few couples sitting under the shady willow trees having intimate chats while enjoying the reservoir scenery.

The distant Snow Mountain contrasted beautifully with the turquoise reservoir water and was a perfect match for a landscape photography. A small bridge that was constructed like a Suzhou water landscape added a lustrous tint into the photography.

I was amazed by the stunning picturesque view that I stood still there for quite a moment with open mouth mesmerized by the beauty I had discovered without realizing the damaging effect of the scorching heat of the afternoon sun on my face and skin. A sense of euphoria enveloped me as if the discovery was a great achievement of an explorer.

I knew of the Black Dragon Pool and the picturesque view of the Snow Mountain from the Pool but I think the view from this Qingxi Reservoir is even more spectacular. As I walked across the bridge in the middle of the reservoir, I found another fantastic view from the park of the reservoir. There were a number of small ponds in the park and each pond presents a spectacular great spot for photography and you could see reflection of the distant Snow Mountain in the ponds of the photographs taken.

The entrance into the reservoir and the reservoir is free. I spent about half an hour at the reservoir before walking back to the Old Town. It is not very far and within walking distance from the Old Town. I estimated that it is about 2 to 3 km walk from the Old Town. The views are awesome and you should attempt to visit this attraction.

3  Thank soh_kien_peng