“Best China Trip Ever!!!!”
Review of The Bruce Chalet

The Bruce Chalet
Ranked #12 of 940 Hotels in Lijiang
Quezon City, Quezon City, Philippines
“Best China Trip Ever!!!!”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Very Helpful and Courteous Staff, Bruce was great, he gave tips on the places we wanted to go, very reasonable rates, and the cab drivers he hired was very trustworthy :) October is one of the best time to go since the weather is great and the hues and colors are nice for taking pictures. Very Professional Staff, Bruce Chalet gives you that warm and homie feeling, The breakfast area was very nice as you can interact with other guests :) Home Cooked food was great (Chinese Bacon!!!) The Rooms were cozy and has very nice ambiance keeps your comfortable after a long day from sight seeing.

They Give you that Warm Fuzzy Feel to your stay... One of the Best Trips Ever!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed in The Bruce Chalet in July (sorry for lateness of review). Found it a lovely place, Bruce and Bella the owners extremely helpful, able to organize very reasonable day rates with local taxi drivers for excursions, and also operating a sort of communal breakfast area which makes getting to know other guests there very easy.

However, I would particularly like to thank them for their help when I left my bank card in an ATM in Lijiang (confusingly in China, at ATMs the money comes out before the card, and you have to remember to take it after taking the money). I forgot to take mine. I only realized on the way back to the hotel. When I told the taxi driver, he phoned Bruce, Bruce moved heaven and earth taking me back to the hotel to get my passport then back to the bank in order that I could get the card back from them before they shut up for the evening (which would have left me in a real state since I was flying out from the following day). Anyway, I did manage to get the card back which was great since I still had 13 days left on my holiday.

The Bruce Chalet is a fantastic place and I really enjoyed Lijiang and Shuhe as a result.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Caledon, Ontario
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Bruce & Bella made us very welcome. Bruce was most helpful in planning our day trips, arranging drivers & even driving us himself. He & Bella are very good hosts and greeted us with fresh fruit, cookies & tea, every time we returned from a day excursion. Our room, Snow Mountain View, was large & had a great view of the mountains, as promised. We found it a little dark but the addition of a couple of more lamps would fix that problem. All in all good value, pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room, if you want any kind of view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Countrygirl6841
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed October 21, 2012

On reading the previous reviews, i'm thinkingwe should have gone for a different room, because the one we had was quite small, with no room to unpack, and on the ground floor, so we didn't have any view, just people walking past our window. The walls were very thin, so we could hearpeople talking upstairs. The power outlets in the room were a bit hard to use, the shower drain was a bit slow, and the bathroom smelled at times.

Having said all that, it was still a fantastic place to be. The internet worked well. The fruit and tea brought to us every time we came back from our excursions were very welcome, and Bruce's advice on where to go very useful. We did our laundry there, and weren't charged for it. We hired bicycles to go to Baisha, which was a leisurely half hour ride. We walked to Shuhe old town, and took buses to Lijiang. We left our luggage at Bruce's while we hiked Tiger Leaping Gorge. We had breakfast there one day (you can order it a day ahead), and it was quite nice, mostly Western, with a few Chinese items.

1 Thank abere8
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My boyfriend and I just returned from 5 days at the Bruce Chalet, and I wish we could have stayed longer. Bruce was very hospitable and helpful. He brought us tea and fruit after a long day of exploring, helped us order food, arranged private cars for sightseeing, and always made us feel welcome. He gave us a brief tour of the area when we arrived. He even refused to charge us for the night we spent at Tiger Leaping Gorge even though we kept all of our luggage in our room at the Chalet.

Our room was spacious with an enormous bed. The best part was our large balcony with a view of Yulong Snow Mountain. There were two large cushioned seats for lounging and a small table with two chairs for eating. Half of the balcony was covered, so we were able to sit outside and read even while it was raining.

The location is somewhat remote- it takes about ten minutes to walk to Shuhe Old Town. We had a lovely time relaxing in the beautiful countryside.

Room Tip: The balcony with Yulong Mountain view was worth it!
3 Thank Heather M
Munich, Germany
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I had a huge and beautiful double room with a huge bed. Everything very clean and nice, best value for money. In general you should not look to much into the details in Chinese bathrooms and sanitary facilities. The garden/courtyard looks very nice and the hostel has a great atmosphere.

Bruce even drove me to the shuttle bus to get to Lijiang Old Town and explained how to walk back, takes about 5 - 10 minutes. Shuttle takes about 40 minutes to Lijiang Old Town. But location is very close to another old town of Lijiang!

Bruce, the owner, is the most wonderful person! He was incredibly helpful and friendly! I had some questions before my arrival and he would answer all my e-mails in detail! He recommended how to spend my three days in Lijiang and I happily followed his perfect schedule! When I got there he explained Lijiang and Dali just like a tour guide would do and gave me an overview of all the things to see! Pick-up from the airport worked just fine, he wrote down all directions in Chinese characters, he even booked a room for me in Dali and printed directions to the place. Free internet available on two computers. Free welcome-tea and -fruits, very good breakfast!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Muna E
Bonndorf, Germany
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed 4 nights at Bruce's and it was really good. Got the family room which is really big.
Housekeeping was always good. Bruce is the nicest guy I met. Speaks very good English and was helpful all the day and night. So I can recommend that place even it is a little bit remote.
To Shuhe Old town (preferred 1st spot) 10min by food. To Lijiang Old Town by bus 11 and back by bus 5.
Bruce organized also driver to pick me up from train station and bring me to airport. He organizes also trip to tiger leaping gorge (only interesting if you want to hike, otherwise just a big river with a water fall).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo