“Sensational! But ...”

Ranked #3 of 928 Hotels in Lijiang
Lowell, Massachusetts
“Sensational! But ...”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed for four days at this incredible property. There is a surreal feel to this place, like I was being transported to another era. The hotel fits beautifully within the theme of the Ancient Town of Lijiang; the backdrop that is postcard gorgeous. From the lobby you can see the stunning Yulong mountain. I knew right then that staying here would be nothing short of a meditative experience.

I enjoyed a lovely welcome at the front desk and a ride to my villa. The property is immaculately maintained and has a private entrance to a path that leads to the Ancient town. My Deluxe room, as many have described, was a most tastefully designed suite with many little treasures and a most comfortable bed. Warm shower, clean bathtub, study area, with a view to a street with quaint bed n breakfast inns (I wondered often what it would be like to stay in one of those)... I felt like I was in the lap of luxury but not disconnected from my historic surroundings.

The service at the hotel is fantastic - everybody is warm and welcoming. I much enjoyed the eclectic breakfast, where I overate every single time! Some of the staff don't follow English - I had to repeat my made-to-order eggs twice before they got it right, but everybody was polite and courteous. I had lunch too a couple of times, and again was very impressed with both the local and international choices.

I do have a few quibbles:
1. The internet in my building 509 was very sketchy. In fact, I could not get the wireless internet to work at all during my stay and was tethered to the wall. This was very frustrating. Others in my group that were closer to the main lobby did not seem to have this issue.
2. The toilet flush was worn out a bit, which meant that you had to jiggle it to get it to stop draining out. I thought the cleaning person would have caught this problem but they did not.
3. The gym does not open until 7 am. I am not fitness freak but this is late by any luxury hotel standards. The happy outcome though was that I chose to go for a run outside the hotel and it was such an invigorating experience.
4. The heater never worked. It did not ever get really cold but there was a nip to the air one night and I couldn't do anything about it.

Not deal breakers (I dock them a point for the above issues), but a place this good just missed being perfect! Still I would go back here in a heartbeat... I have a sense of longing for beautiful Lijiang and the Crowne Plaza hotel already!

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the main building! I think some have a view of the mountain.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
CPLijiang A, Executive Assiatant Manager at InterContinental Lijiang Ancient Town Resort, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your stay experience with us. We appreciate receiving the direct feedback and it is always shared with our team.

I also want to take this opportunity to let you know that we will be enhancing service in the further time. We are excited and can’t wait to show it to our guests.

I hope we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you back this year.

Jason Chen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This is by far the best Crowne Plaza property I have ever had the pleasure to stay in. Rooms are large, well designed with separate study, tea, sleeping areas, bathtub, showers and sleeping areas. In fact the deluxe room I had was bigger then some suites I have stayed in. There was in fact ample space for a rollaway bed should the need arise.

Service was top notch. Staff went out of the way to please. I loved the soup amenity they had every evening. When we needed an adaptor at 1am in the morning, they came in less then 5 minutes with an adaptor. We ordered room service and in less then 15 minutes, they were there with what we ordered. Whenever we needed an electric cart to bring us around, we never had to wait more then 5 minutes.

The location is superb for the Lijiang old town. Walk out the back of the property, head straight on and then follow the road to the old city square and its a nice, leisurely 10 mins walk at most. However, you need to be aware of the road as coming back at night, it is easy to get lost in the alleys of the old city.

The driver recommended by the hotel was reasonably priced. Not the cheapest but far from the most expensive. But he knew his stuff, provided lots of info, was prompt and responsible.

All in all, this was a fantastic stay and easily the best hotel stay I have had this year. I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else if I came to Lijiang again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback from your recent stay at our hotel. All of your comments will be shared with the team and know the staff will be thrilled to read your compliments. We are proud of our team and service they deliver for our guests every day.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 28, 2013

The rooms are housed in villas across a big well landscaped garden. Each villa has about 4 separate rooms. I am not sure if the rooms are the same type, the one I stayed in was really super. The pace was spacious with entrance tea area, separate study area, sitting area, bed room, open bath area, separate WC and shower, and big dressing area with lots of wardrobe space. The floor in the shower is gently heated. Apart from coplimentary fruits, the hotel sent a pot of warm soup in the evening! Can't ask for more.
The hotel is located next to the local market and easy access to the old town through a side entrance. There is caddy service from villa to either entrances.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Calcutta India
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We spent 4 days at this resort during New Years.Absolutely marvellous for its unique location,breathtaking view of Snow Mountain,comfortable rooms with all modern amenities.The staff was extremely helpful despite the communication difficulty so they made an extra effort.Breakfast was plenty & food in general of good standard.I would go back to this resort definitely for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Try to get a room closest to the reception area.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
CPLijiang A, Manager at InterContinental Lijiang Ancient Town Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2013

Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

About the hotel, only good things, great location, personal super friendly and professional, rooms are beautiful and food is quite good in the different restaurants, everything highly recommendable.

The no so happy part, I have been living in China for the past 5 years, travel a lot and always stay in 5 stars hotels if possible foreign chains, average probably I stay in a good hotel every two weeks, always check ctrip, elong, and the hotel website and chose the best rate.

I think I am quite experienced doing online reservations, I did my reservation throw the hotel website because I thought the breakfast was included thing that was not with other online booking companies, obviously something confuse me because when I did the check in with the hotel they told me breakfast was not included....ok I must be confused, no big deal, when doing the check in I signed the usual form with personal data and I check the rate to be the same I booked online, and it was, written in pen, I signed and I didn't read " the small letter at the end" we're was stated a 15% surcharge, my experience in China is the rate you see already includes the tax, at least is my experience, so I didn't read the small letter, the same on the online booking, which I did on the run while working, the taxes were at the end, I am not saying this was a scam I just say is not what I am used in China, when I see a rate I expect to pay that no plus extra taxes.

Maybe my fault but first time in 5 years booking a lot of hotels in China that this happens to me, besides this, highly recommendable hotel.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I hope we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you back this year.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Reviewed January 23, 2013

You can walk out the back gate and be immediately a part of Old Town that is still old. This hotel is designed like a Chinese compound so rooms are in smaller buildings. The grounds are well landscaped and the rooms spacious and very well equipped. Staff is attentive and very helpful. You have a wonderful view of the mountains from the main building. Pool area lovely. Breakfast choices really have something for everyone. We had two dinners at hotel which were disappointing because of quality of food. Suggest you eat in Old Dinner for dinner.Laundry service well done and reasonable. ATM in lobby did not work and staff did not know when it would be operational. Great base for exploring the area. This is one Crowne Plaza worth staying at.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Sharon O
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are very happy to know you love our hotel. I will share your comments with our staff. They will be thrilled to read this. Welcome to experience our Tea Tree Spa in your next visit. Should you travel back to Lijiang, we would be thrilled to welcome you.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I had stayed before in other properties of Crown Plaza here and there, and never thought that it could pull such a classy act! This property is really luxurious, by any standards. Not cheap but decent value for money. Location is very hard to beat (adjacent to the old town, which protects it from the noise).

I had initially set my choice on a Boutique Hotel type of place, but given the distance to the old city (and walking up and down) we decided to stay here as a default choice. We really lucked out!

The design is really modern but also functional, and in my experience these two don't always go hand in hand. The common areas are impressive, the grounds lovely and the rooms beautiful.

If I ever go back to Lijiang I won't even spend time looking for what's new out there, I'll pick this one. And I would stay in the Courtyard room again.

BTW: Lijiang is really a beautiful little town. Yes, touristy but still worth it. If you want to have a peak at "real china" you can do Dali (beautiful!) and a village or two between Dali and Lijiang. But if you're short on time Dali and a bus to Lijiang will do. I'm attaching some pics of Lijiang in my review of Lijiang Old Town (uder things To Do in Lijiang) to give an idea of what to expect

Room Tip: Go for the courtyard View, absolutely worth it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank spartac
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Lijiang Ancient Town as your accommodation choice during your recent stay in Lijiang, Yunnan, and for taking the time to write comments for us.