I stayed for four days at this incredible property. There is a surreal feel to this place, like I was being transported to another era. The hotel fits beautifully within the theme of the Ancient Town of Lijiang; the backdrop that is postcard gorgeous. From the lobby you can see the stunning Yulong mountain. I knew right then that staying here would be nothing short of a meditative experience.
I enjoyed a lovely welcome at the front desk and a ride to my villa. The property is immaculately maintained and has a private entrance to a path that leads to the Ancient town. My Deluxe room, as many have described, was a most tastefully designed suite with many little treasures and a most comfortable bed. Warm shower, clean bathtub, study area, with a view to a street with quaint bed n breakfast inns (I wondered often what it would be like to stay in one of those)... I felt like I was in the lap of luxury but not disconnected from my historic surroundings.
The service at the hotel is fantastic - everybody is warm and welcoming. I much enjoyed the eclectic breakfast, where I overate every single time! Some of the staff don't follow English - I had to repeat my made-to-order eggs twice before they got it right, but everybody was polite and courteous. I had lunch too a couple of times, and again was very impressed with both the local and international choices.
I do have a few quibbles:
1. The internet in my building 509 was very sketchy. In fact, I could not get the wireless internet to work at all during my stay and was tethered to the wall. This was very frustrating. Others in my group that were closer to the main lobby did not seem to have this issue.
2. The toilet flush was worn out a bit, which meant that you had to jiggle it to get it to stop draining out. I thought the cleaning person would have caught this problem but they did not.
3. The gym does not open until 7 am. I am not fitness freak but this is late by any luxury hotel standards. The happy outcome though was that I chose to go for a run outside the hotel and it was such an invigorating experience.
4. The heater never worked. It did not ever get really cold but there was a nip to the air one night and I couldn't do anything about it.
Not deal breakers (I dock them a point for the above issues), but a place this good just missed being perfect! Still I would go back here in a heartbeat... I have a sense of longing for beautiful Lijiang and the Crowne Plaza hotel already!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set amidst a sprawling 51,000 square meters of lush greenery, InterContinental Lijiang Ancient Town Resort is strategically located in World Cultural Heritage-listed Lijiang, Yunnan Province. It is the only international five star village resort hotel in Lijiang Ancient Town World Cultural Heritage Site. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your InterContinental Lijiang Ancient Town Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.