“Don't chose the family room on ground floor”

Laoxie Chemadian Youth Hostel Lijiang
Ranked #49 of 115 Specialty Lodging in Lijiang
Hong Kong, China
“Don't chose the family room on ground floor”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Ground floor family rooms are horrible - damp walls, damp floors, no windows, non-fitting door. If travelling with family take the four room dorm. Good common room with table football, wifi, tv. General cleanliness apart from ground floor rooms is fine. Good location, in old town but tucked away from hordes of tourists.

Room Tip: Family ground floor room is damp and unpleasant.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Beijing, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

Since this was my second time in Lijiang I wanted to stay in a different place then before. Wish I stayed in the same place. Traveling with my friends is always on a low bugdet. Lonely Planet always gave us great suggetions but I dont understand how such a hostel like this can be in the newest LP Eddition (2011/2012). Among many flaws: they tried to charge us a higher price than they have online, rooms are dark, smelly. Sink and toilet were leaking. We had the chance to experience both Dorm type and double room. Both were bad. Internet althought said to be provided WiFi was not working either of the 2 days. Staff didnt really know how to speak English but were helpful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Lijiang hotels

Tucson
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

On or about my 11-12-2011 the arrival desk personnel attitude was somber, strained, unfriendly and unwelcoming. Miss Young, the manager, smiled only after great cajoling effort on my part and only when she finally perceived that a simple smile was reluctantly required.

She attempted to force the somewhat indolent desk employee (Later, often found lounging immovable on the nearby couch.) to speak English which he was visibly reluctant to do.

Eventually, I took a 4 bed dorm which was bright and more than acceptable although there was only cool warm shower water.

Upon my return to my dorm room an hour or so later I discovered a new roomie’s ash tray with used cigarette. I immediately complained to Miss Young who confirmed it was a smoking dorm room – the 1st I had encountered in 2 months of China travel.

Once she confirmed that the room was unacceptable to me as I was preparing to move hostels, she gave me a single, windowless room at the same price as the dorm bed. I stayed.

The single room adjacent to the hostel proper shared a small courtyard with another single room. The common bath and the small courtyard were also shared with the hostel staff. The shared toilet for these two rooms and the staff included a broken western style toilet flush mechanism with toilet seat lying on the floor. Hot water was only marginally warmer than the dorm room’s – barely justifying a shower at all.

The last night I returned to the room and discovered a continuous dripping stream of water from above soaking the side table, my iPod Touch and my bed. The prior upstairs’ occupant had apparently left the water on. Of course, it was not the staff’s fault and they enthusiastically & apologetically cleaned up the mess and replaced all my bedding which I appreciated.

Later that evening a nearby travel information office (not a for-profit travel agency) confirmed that they had had many complaints on that particular accommodation.

Finally, when I checked out the next morning they refused to return my deposit – I felt angered and cheated, but it is possible that was the result of the confusion, poor management and training as well as the Eng - Chinese language barrier.

On balance, my worst accomodation experience in China and a considerable slight on the otherwise very positive impression I have of the other China IYHs I have stayed in.

Room Tip: Choose any of the seemingly hundreds of other nearby accommodations, but if you stay, check out room...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Scott E
Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

The location was good and the staff helpful. Unfortunately the room was dank, cold, and in moldy.The bottom third of each of the walls was covered in mold, so badly that it was actually hard to breathe.The shower was similarly molded, but had a sour smell all of it's own. Between that, the damp chill, and the poor lighting, it was the most depressing place we stayed in Yunnan.
The second floor rooms may be nicer, but are expensive enough that you may as well stay in one of they many nearby hotels instead.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
hong kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2010

This is the second time we have stayed at Old Xie's IYH. While it has a good location, and the staff are friendly and welcoming, I found that the room we stayed in, the most expensive one at around 180 Rmb with private bathroom, was in need to renovation. There has been renovation in other parts of the hostel - for example there is now a kitchen for guests to use, and perhaps the other rooms have been renovated as well.

It is still a nice place to stay, and in high season the rates are very good. In Winter when we went, I think you can get good deals elsewhere.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple