This was the first stay for us three travellers who had prepaid two rooms at the Banyan Tree hotel Lijiang - it will certainly be our last stay at any Banyan Tree hotel.
First, the ripoff on accommodation. We had prepaid for a 'superior suite king' room. On arriving at the accommodation I found that it was accessible only by a steep flight of stairs. As I have a walking disability I could not use this room. Our party went back to reception and explained the problem and asked for alternative accommodation. We were told that the only alternative was a 'deluxe pool villa' which would cost us an additional AUS$313 per night!!!. We were also advised that this would be the same situation for the next night. As it was now near 6pm, looking for alternative accommodation was not an option also our accommodation was already pre-paid.
The next ripoff was when we went to the bar to recover from the shock of our additional $313 per night charge. After a round of G&T we were told that the drinks were complimentary. Some small compensation we assumed. However the next night when we went to the bar we were presented with a bill for our 'complimentary' drinks!! Come on!!
Next problem was when we had to take a 'trolly' to reach our villa - it was well beyond our walking capability. Every time we left or returned to our villa we had a 5 minute or more wait for transportation.
Next issue was on arrival at our villa. The coffee machine was not working nor was the refrigerator. The villa had obviously not been checked before our arrival.
Next problem was the lack of milk to make our coffee. Call to room service and milk arrives with a bill for AUS$7.00. Come on - after paying almost AUS$1,000 per night for a villa and they do not supply milk with the coffee machine.
As you would expect we were now totally pissed off the ripoffs and lack of any hospitality offered by Banyan Tree Lijiang. The outcome is that us four highly experienced world travelers will never again use the Banyan Tree chain.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the historic charm, rich culture and sweeping landscapes of Lijiang, declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997. Located in the highlands of Yunnan province, the resort is adjacent to the Na'xi minority old town of Shuhe and only a 10 minute drive from the ancient Silk Road town of Baisha. Situated close to the base of Jade Dragon Snow Mountain, it is surrounded by high peaks and hidden valleys, making it a photographers dream. Many unique experiences are ready to be enjoyed as you explore the back streets of the ancient towns, traverse the mountainous landscape to Tiger Leaping Gorge, Wen Hai lake, or take a cycle trek through the foothills to remote Yi villages. For a more leisurely experience, indulge in one of the many luxurious treatments available at the world renowned Banyan Tree Spa. With clear blue skies for nine months of the year, enjoy a breath of fresh air and escape to the tranquility of Banyan Tree Lijiang. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Banyan Tree Lijiang reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banyan Tree Lijiang Hotel Lijiang
- Banyan Tree Hotel Lijiang
- Lijiang Banyan Tree Hotel