Review Highlights
Everest trip

The trip was very well organized from the hotels to restaurant's,the staff were only to happy to... read more

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed October 8, 2018
w0zza10
Perth, Australia
Motorbike trip through Tibet

The most epic and enjoyable holidays ever experienced Everest was awesome,The whole crew was more... read more

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed October 7, 2018
mpolini

All reviews everest base camp tibet tour own vehicle world tour an adventure hendrik crew dhaka border tours himalayas mongolia formalities tashi mechanic bikes journey
Reviewed March 11, 2017

Hi everyone, we booked the China part of our world trip with Tibetmoto.
At Erenhot border we were greeted by out guide who helped us with the border formalities and accompanied us to the border of Tibet at Goldmud.
From there we crossed the endless plateau landscape. At some point we spotted wild horses and stayed with nomads for a couple of nights.
In Lhasa, we took a break for a few days after endless driving and continued to Yunnan province where our trip ended at the border to Lao.
The trip was very well planned by Tibetmoto and we apprecited the many recommendations for overnight stops, routing and sights (both before and during the tour). The service was professional yet personal and you can feel that the team members are passionate travellers themselves.
Last but not least: the tour price was very competative. And unlike other travel agencies we contacted we received always proper and detailed answers in comprehensive English language. That made planning much easier.
Thanks guys!

Reviewed February 24, 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and I did a one day bike tour around the area of yunnan.
The Trip was truly spectacular. Fascinating landscapes and stunning views everywhere we rode.
The tour guide was Hendrik and he was fabulous, helpful, extremely knowledgeable and has good riding skills.
The bikes from tibetmoto have also a high quality and we felt save the whole time. Hendrik was really good with helping us to book the day and very responsive on email. We just wishes we would been able to do a longer trip with them.

1  Thank Svenja W
Reviewed January 19, 2017

Last october I went to China for this beautiful and fun motorbike tour. I stumpled over Tibetmoto because of a youtube video about a tour in yunnan. I expected China, to be honest, a lot more chaotic, but it turned out to relativeley organized (just imagine the amount of people over here). Fortunately the tour I booked prevents us from traffic and many people. The North of Yunnan is just amazing. The roads up there are just fantastic. Winding and well prepared actually, which really astonished me. The panoramas from some points are just breathtaking, espacially at an about 4000m pass with a view to a snowy mountain range. The accomodations were just right and sometimes we even had western breakfast. The guide Hendrik, acutally the owner, was really kind and knowledgable about the region.
I can imagine to come back to this huge country and explore more around here on a motorbike.

2  Thank HubertGrosz
Reviewed December 18, 2016

Travelling with Hendrik as a guide for a day tour to the sights of Dali and surrounds, was an incredible and once in a life time experience. I saw (and tasted!) this special part of the world, in a way I never would have been able to on my own.

I'm so glad I chose to do this tour and can not recommend Tibetmoto more highly.

Reviewed November 29, 2016

I have been dreaming to ride in the Eastern Himalayas for a long time, but due to political circumstances and the lack of a reliable tour operator I had to wait until this year September.

But let me begin at the very beginning: I met the Tibetmoto team the first time around 5 years ago in a small guesthouse in Shangri-la, where they were on tour with a group of guests. We talked, exchanged ideas, discussed routes and travel stories and until earlier this year I forgot all about it. Then, by chance, I rediscovered their website and found the "At the Roof of the World Tour". What a surprise!
It didn't take long to find a couple of other adventure hungry guys/gals and we booked this tour for the last 2 weeks in September, right after the rainy season.
We got not disappointed, that is for sure!

Before arriving in Lijiang, where the tour started, we took a break in Kunming, enjoyed the city, and then flew into Lijiang where our adventure began.
Well, Lijiang changed a lot in recent years, becoming far more touristy than it was supposed to ever become, but its still nice to take a stroll through the old town at night, hitting some bars and enjoy the nightlife.
In Lijiang we met all other riders plus the Tibetmoto staff and excitement started to grow, seeing all the preparation going on. We got our Chinese Shineray X5 travel Enduro bikes and as a supply vehicle served us a Pick-up with a exchange bike (we didn't need it), canisters of fuel, spare parts, snacks and much more.

Already the first day passing by Shangri-la was amazing, since we crossed the first mountain pass of 3,500 meters after only 2 hours of riding. By the end of the first riding day we were already in a remote gorge near a mighty river in a small Tibetan town and we should not see another tourist for the next 10 days to come.
We rode every day in between 200 and 320 kilometers (thats not little taking the small and curvy mountain roads into account and we never arrived somewhere before 4pm) over Himalayan mountain passes, across grassland, met wild looking Khampa mountain nomads and slept in solid mid range hotels along the way. Road conditions and accommodations were beyond my expectations, roads being newly paved and hotels very clean, warm with comfy beds and Western toilets. We had a lot of different yak meat dishes, hand made wheat noodles and for lunch often only a snack from the supply vehicle (if no town or lunch place en route).
One of the biggest highlights for me was Qinghai lake, the largest salt lake of the Himalayas. We arrived there in the afternoon, coming down from a mountain pass when suddenly this "ocean" appeared right in front of us. Riding downhill hundreds of slopes the lake became larger and larger, finally arriving at the shore. That night, we stayed in yurts at the lake shore where you can take bath on 3,800 meters and watching herds of yaks passing by. What an experience!

If you book this tour be prepared, although there is some additional gear in the pick-up truck. The weather can change quickly and you need good/warm gear.
This route is a rare adventure, connecting the few "touristy" sights mentioned in guide books and leading through unheard of and virgin, beautiful landscapes.

Last but not least: The tour was professionally organized, bikes well maintained and our guide was a great and easy going fellow who knew not only many stories and historical facts, but as well the importance of a cold beer after a long day on the bike.

If you love adventure, if you love mountains and the Himalayas, if you are interested in riding Eastern Tibet (a place which not many people know), you will love this.

3  Thank hermannz675