Review Highlights
Everest trip

The trip was very well organized from the hotels to restaurant's,the staff were only to happy to... read more

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed October 8, 2018
w0zza10
Perth, Australia
Motorbike trip through Tibet

The most epic and enjoyable holidays ever experienced Everest was awesome,The whole crew was more... read more

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed October 7, 2018
mpolini

All reviews everest base camp tibet tour own vehicle world tour an adventure hendrik crew dhaka border tours himalayas mongolia formalities tashi mechanic bikes journey
Reviewed December 18, 2016

Travelling with Hendrik as a guide for a day tour to the sights of Dali and surrounds, was an incredible and once in a life time experience. I saw (and tasted!) this special part of the world, in a way I never would have been able to on my own.

I'm so glad I chose to do this tour and can not recommend Tibetmoto more highly.

Reviewed November 29, 2016

I have been dreaming to ride in the Eastern Himalayas for a long time, but due to political circumstances and the lack of a reliable tour operator I had to wait until this year September.

But let me begin at the very beginning: I met the Tibetmoto team the first time around 5 years ago in a small guesthouse in Shangri-la, where they were on tour with a group of guests. We talked, exchanged ideas, discussed routes and travel stories and until earlier this year I forgot all about it. Then, by chance, I rediscovered their website and found the "At the Roof of the World Tour". What a surprise!
It didn't take long to find a couple of other adventure hungry guys/gals and we booked this tour for the last 2 weeks in September, right after the rainy season.
We got not disappointed, that is for sure!

Before arriving in Lijiang, where the tour started, we took a break in Kunming, enjoyed the city, and then flew into Lijiang where our adventure began.
Well, Lijiang changed a lot in recent years, becoming far more touristy than it was supposed to ever become, but its still nice to take a stroll through the old town at night, hitting some bars and enjoy the nightlife.
In Lijiang we met all other riders plus the Tibetmoto staff and excitement started to grow, seeing all the preparation going on. We got our Chinese Shineray X5 travel Enduro bikes and as a supply vehicle served us a Pick-up with a exchange bike (we didn't need it), canisters of fuel, spare parts, snacks and much more.

Already the first day passing by Shangri-la was amazing, since we crossed the first mountain pass of 3,500 meters after only 2 hours of riding. By the end of the first riding day we were already in a remote gorge near a mighty river in a small Tibetan town and we should not see another tourist for the next 10 days to come.
We rode every day in between 200 and 320 kilometers (thats not little taking the small and curvy mountain roads into account and we never arrived somewhere before 4pm) over Himalayan mountain passes, across grassland, met wild looking Khampa mountain nomads and slept in solid mid range hotels along the way. Road conditions and accommodations were beyond my expectations, roads being newly paved and hotels very clean, warm with comfy beds and Western toilets. We had a lot of different yak meat dishes, hand made wheat noodles and for lunch often only a snack from the supply vehicle (if no town or lunch place en route).
One of the biggest highlights for me was Qinghai lake, the largest salt lake of the Himalayas. We arrived there in the afternoon, coming down from a mountain pass when suddenly this "ocean" appeared right in front of us. Riding downhill hundreds of slopes the lake became larger and larger, finally arriving at the shore. That night, we stayed in yurts at the lake shore where you can take bath on 3,800 meters and watching herds of yaks passing by. What an experience!

If you book this tour be prepared, although there is some additional gear in the pick-up truck. The weather can change quickly and you need good/warm gear.
This route is a rare adventure, connecting the few "touristy" sights mentioned in guide books and leading through unheard of and virgin, beautiful landscapes.

Last but not least: The tour was professionally organized, bikes well maintained and our guide was a great and easy going fellow who knew not only many stories and historical facts, but as well the importance of a cold beer after a long day on the bike.

If you love adventure, if you love mountains and the Himalayas, if you are interested in riding Eastern Tibet (a place which not many people know), you will love this.

Date of experience: October 2016
3  Thank hermannz675
Reviewed September 25, 2016

In June and July I went through China with my Dutch registred vehicle, entering Xinjiang, going through Tibet an exiting from Yunnan to Laos, arranged by Tibet Moto. Everything was arranged very well. At the preparation stage the contact through email was crisp and clear. Hendrik took time to answer al my questions, he made me a travel schedule and adapted were necesery. Than we also had a skype meeting to talk through everything.

Just before I intended to enter China, Tibet was suddenly closed by the government for foreigners. Hendrik walked the extra mile to arrange an alternative, with last minute changes in entry dates and vehicle permits, so I could wait in Kashgar for Tibet to be open again.

The transit itself went smooth without any hickups. Ofcourse there are a lot of different aspects involved, going through a technical vehicle check, getting a chinese driver license and insurance for the vehicle. But they all turned out good. On the road there are a lot of police checks, there the documents prooved to be al legit, besides the time it takes there were no problems at all. The different guides asigned to me were professional and friendly, also helping from ordering food in restaurants to minor vehicle maintenance issues.

In Yunnan I met personally with Hendrik and his wife. He took me out for dinner and beers, also on a personal level Hendrik is a trustworthy guy in my perception. Even after I departed China he showed interest in my wellbeing and he helped me with advise of travel agencies for overlanding. The departure out of China went very quick, before noon I already departed China.

Overall I can really recommend Tibet Moto for other overlanders wishing to cross China. Crossing China with your own vehicle isnt cheap, but Tibet Moto was way cheaper than other travel agencies I contacted, with an excellent service. So well done Hendrik!

3  Thank plvo
Reviewed August 15, 2016

We had a family friendly tour in China´s Yunnan Province. Highlights were the Tibetan family home-stay at Jiabe (can you believe there are baby goats for the kids to play with- they enjoyed it a lot).
Since you go in Yunnan Province you have the feeling to experience Tibet and the Tibetans and eat their local and organic food (and homemade wine) and great easy hiking trails into deep ancient forest nearby. There are other places nearby you can visit as the old town of Dali and the old town of Lijiang.
Our guide was very professional. He also was willing to take care about our children and that the kids liked him.
I recommended this tour to all my friends and family. This is once in a lifetime experience not to miss.

Reviewed August 14, 2016

I joined a 9 days motorbike tour with 3 of my friends in China this August. The landscapes were really beyond our expectations. Gorges, cliffs, valleys and snow mountains made the Alps look like a smaller brother of the mountains in Yunnan.

We mainly took backroads with little to no traffic which were well paved. Although the hotels and guesthouses were often simple in remote areas they were clean and somehow charming (especially the one in the Tiger Leaping gorge with the terrace high above the cliffs). Local food and dishes were everywhere absolutely delicious.

Our Tibetan motorbike tour guide was quite a character, really funny and made this adventure even better. We will come back to see more of this awesome country!

Date of experience: August 2016