“The nice walk at Jade Belt Road was magnificent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cangshan Mountain

Ranked #5 of 64 things to do in Dali
Stockholm, Sweden
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“The nice walk at Jade Belt Road was magnificent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

We started near the Movie Studios and walked the path through the cemetery and the hard Walking (Terrible many stairs...) was very Heavy for us, but it was Worth every step!!! When we arrived the T-cross and continued to Gantong Temple and the way was a very scenery and Beautiful way, easy to walk! We took the small Cable car down to Gantong. From there you easily take a taxi or minibus to old city!

Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Beijing, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“work in progress on the mountain”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

The cable car marked to the east on most of the maps we had is not currently running (as of June 2013). There is substantial development work underway. You can still get the cable car up from the western approach and walk along the "jade" route to a new funicular railway which is being trial-run at the moment. You can however take it up to the next level of the mountain and join the next cable car which takes you up to 3,900 m. Well worth it. The flora changes dramatically as you get higher -- as does the temperature! That cable car route now goes all the way down should you wish. We chose to reverse our tracks to get a bit more of a walk. Clearly, however, things are changing fast so worth checking which routes are open before you set out. Also apart from a few fruit and drinks stalls, there are no food options on the mountain at the present -- so ignore guidebooks telling you otherwise and take with you what you need.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank rachel h
singapore
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Not fantastic in March”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Visited March and found it was a bad month. The top peak was closed due to snow. The waterfalls along cloud pass were dried up. Cable car was expensive too.

Visited March 2013
Singapore, Singapore
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“Leisure walk amongst the pine trees”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

I bought a ticket up the Gantong cable car via my hotel. The fare of 100 rmb includes the journey to the cable car station from my hotel, so it was convenient. The cable car ticket given to me was for two-ways, but I only used it to go up. Up the cable car, I spent some time around the Qingbixi stream with a small pond where they built a shrine. Very beautiful. I took the stairs up near the stream and move upward towards the Cangshan Grand Canyon (there are signs in English along the way here). Once I reached the platform that gave a splendid view of the area, I followed the Jade Belt route. It was a verypleasant walk amidst the very fragrant pine forest. Flowers were also staying to bloom. At the 7 fairies scenic spot, I found the path blocked, as reported on wikivoyage, so I walked on. From there on you will pass by some beautifully shaped Rick formations which make for good photos. I could have taken the stairs down near the Fengyandong (Phoenix eye cave) but decided to walk all the way to Zhonghe temple. The temple wasn't really worth the visit. I must alsowarn that the path down from Zhonghe temple has fallen into disrepair, so you won't see well maintained stone steps. Rather, you will see damaged steps which after a while disappear totally into earthen steps and paths. Halfway down, you will pass by the Zhonghe cable cars which are no longer working - rather eerie to seea while string of cable cars frozen in time. After that, the path leads to a cemetery - the Zhonghe cemetery. You can admire the designs of the tombstones if you are interested. Continue on and you will reach a small farmland, with a local functioning temple (dedicated to the God of wealth), and before long you will reach streets that lead to the western city gate of Dali. As the Sanyuejie festival was still on, I spent the rest of the afternoon going through the street hawkers. I started my journey at 11am at the top of the Gantong cable car station, and was at the farmland at the bottom of the hill around 3pm plus.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Yew Hong N
Kopstal
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Essential part of the Dali experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

China has many magnificent mountains. Cangshan is not on a par with Huangshan or Emeishan, so I wouldn't give it 5 stars, but it is most certainly a four-star destination. Visiting Dali and not go up Cangshan is like going to Paris and not visiting the Louvre. The cable car ride is quite spectacular, and the cloud belt walk is easy but very rewarding, with great rock walls, fine vistas and agreeable forests. My only frustration was that all the side tracks were closed. It was also not possible to get any higher up the mountain. The cog railway and the chair lift were closed for maintenance. I'm already planning to return to Dali in the summer, so that I can get to the top of Cangshan.

Visited March 2013