“Big and Clean Lake”

$121.68*
Erhai Lake Scooter Tour: Discover Dali and Bai Culture
Ranked #2 of 68 things to do in Dali
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

I explored the lake on an electric bike. Agree, it is a calm and clean lake, it is big. You can go there if you want to relax. But, it is not something very unique or special. I don't know what else to expect. I'd rather spend the time to explore Shaxi old town or something else I can't find in my country. There is a hotel next to the lake which rents caravan rooms. Might be interesting if you want to spend your time relaxing and just looking at the big lake.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Our local guide persuaded us to watch cormorant fishing in Lake Er Hai. We drove to the N. end of the lake, where for around £12 ($20) each we were loaded into a typical local flat-bottomed boat and a tough Bai lady in local costume rowed us out in chase of another boat with two fishermen and a dozen or so cormorants in it.

The cormorants dived, one reappeared with a huge carp which was duly taken off it with a net. A second dive, a second carp, by then the fishermen had had enough and rowed off home.

On the way back our boat stopped near a sort of showboat. Much to our surprise a bunch of pretty young Bai ladies appeared and ran through a very jolly song and dance routine as we bobbed about in front of them.

We then had fun helping our brave oarswoman paddle us back to base.

I have my doubts that people really use cormorants to fish on Er Hai - it looked like something concocted for the tourists. But we'd never seen it before, except on television, and we enjoyed the sudden song-and-dance show in spite of, or perhaps because of its tackiness.

Not really worth the money, but harmless tourist fun I guess.

2  Thank RBM056
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Most of the lake area was farm land and you could walk with the locals taking food or equipment on their carts. Saw farmers washing their produce in the stream. Looks like they are planning to turn it into quite a touristy resort in the near future as construction is buzzing everywhere we looked along the actual lake. I hope they don't spoil this natural beauty too much or disturb the life of the local farmers.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Erhai lake is the 2nd largest fresh water lake in Yunnan province. The water of the lake is quite clear that it is acclaimed as a shining pearl on Yunnan-Guizhou plateau. Years ago the local goernment built a nice road around the lake through Bai fishing villages. With the perfect weather, I proposed the cycle trip with my friends. We started from Dali ancient city. The whole distance is nearly 250kms' long and we took 2 days to make it in order to enjoy more. When we cycled to the east of the lake, we were all stroken by the amazing view of Dali basin. The famous Cangshang mountain is wearing a jade belt on its wast while the white village houses are adopted among the yellow fieleds , which remind me of the scene decripted in Libai's famous poem. What such a beautiful place! In the evening we arrived at Shuanglang village, the birth place of Peakcok Princess- Yang Lipin. After taste the local famous dishes: clay pot fish and milk cheese, we fall into a deep sleep in a family loge. The next day when the sun came out, we continued our cycle trip with fresh air. We luckily visited the Shaping market and some bai families there. Before dinner time, we came back to Landscape Hotel in the town and finished the trip with happy memories. This is the greatest trip I did up to now!

Reviewed January 14, 2014

We (me & my friends) like to walk to see things around us and we though it may not so far if we walk to Erhai Lake from Dali Old town. We started to walk from 2.30 and arrive their almost 4pm. It was further beyond our expectation. It was few kilometers but in the winter, there was windy & cold and made me a bit exhausted. I saw many people pass by car & bike but we still walking & along the way to Erhai Lake we enjoyed scenery view.

But it worthy to visit, fresh air & good weather is waiting for you. We spent time there (took a rest & took photos) for a while to recharge & walk back to the Old Town.

Next time we will rent a bike …

1  Thank Nungning

Been to Erhai Lake? Share your experiences!