“Western Standard”

and 1 more site!
Asian Star Hotel (Ya Xin)
Ranked #137 of 491 Hotels in Dali
Reviewed November 26, 2009

Asia Star is now managed by Taiwan People. Reconstructed, new Bathrooms in red and lila, near to historic town, food is not very spicy, Breakfast-Buffet with western and chinese dishes, speciality, sauted fresh mushroms from the mountains.

• Stayed: November 2009
3  Thank MaxHettler
There are newer reviews for Asian Star Hotel (Ya Xin)

Reviewed September 26, 2009

Although the rooms weren't bad the atmosphere of the hotel is deadly. It is quite adequate for one night, but for anyone staying longer, I would avoid it. and look out for something with a little bit more atmosphere.

The hotel does have a shuttle to foreigner street which leaves on the half hour, but what they neglect to tell you is that you can't count on them coming to pick you up at the designated time. After dinner, w e stood waiting at the pick up area, and as soon as two taxis appeared and parked next to us, I realised that they knew something we didn't. Anyway we waited about 15 minutes, then took a taxi (only 10 kuai, so no harm done) and when we arrived back at the hotel, the shuttle bus was parked in the dark with no driver to be seen. I doubt whether it made another trip that night.

The saving grace of the hotel is that Foreigner Street is so accessible and it is really lovely. You can sit outside and eat and watch real people who live and work in the street as well as a few tourists go by. I thought it had a really nice atmosphere.

We only stayed in Dali one night so the Asian Star was fine, but for anyone staying longer I would avoid this hotel. Not least because the breakfast is totally inedible (I only ever have cereal and coffee for breakfast, so I am not particularly fussy). I ended up having a dry slice of bread and green tea as the milk had been burned and tainted everything you poured it into.

Some of the staff are helpful, but when I tried to use the Business Centre, I got hold of a harridan who almost locked me in so afraid was she that I might not pay the 10 kuai an hour charge for the internet.. The computer didn't work so I couldn't use it so she had to let me go. It was not the most gracious of service.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LizaBee
Reviewed June 5, 2009

I was travelling through China in April with my mum and sister. We'd arrived at the Hotel at 9am following a very early flight from Kunming. While our room was set up (with a third bed) we had breakfast in their restaurant. Very, very dissappointing. We were the only ones there. No fresh fruit. Most of the baking was stale. The milk was warm and curdled on top. Only option was toasting some bread and having some exceptionally yellow butter (it was almost fluorescent!) with jam. The juice was cordial and we daren't try the coffee. A real rip off. We suggest going to the old town just down the road where you get excellent fresh meals at a quarter of the cost!
The rooms are dated, ours with wall paper peeling off. No inroom safe either. The whole property is like stepping back in time to the early eighties. We had a room with a view to the mountain, but in the wind even with the windows closed, it made a ghostly whistling noice. The hotel is also down the road from a military camp. They start chanting along to music over a P.A system from 6:30am (no need for an alarm clock) and one night didn't finish until 9:30pm! I don't think this Hotel is set up for Western tourists (although there were plenty staying there) If you have to stay there, I'd recommend their free shuttle service to the old town for a large range of good eateries, and do the same for breakfasts.
Positive points: their massage service was excellent, one of the best we had as we travelled through China. Free broadband wifi for my iPhone (most hotels have that in China). The free shuttle bus to the real restaurants and it's location (close to the old town) is good too.
It needs $$ investment for a major overhaul if it is to be serious about western tourism.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank LaundryQueen
Reviewed October 3, 2008

We stayed at this hotel as part of the Yunan tour. Hotel overall is bit dated, but service was great. The SPA is definitely worth a visit.

We checked in the hotel and was greeted by the owner. She's one of the early Taiwan investors and built the tallest hotel in old town before the city restricted building heights. She's a big promoter of detox diets, and the spa/food reflects that.

The room is average and unimpressive. It's fairly comfortable but my biggest peeve was there's no clock to be found. There's a water fountain on the table although they warn you not to leave valuables next to it as it may drip water onto it. Rooms offer views of the mountain or the lake. I recommend the mountain since it's quite beautiful and the lake view is pretty far away.

Highlight of the trip was the flower spa. They offer a personalized suite with large soaking tub filled with special flowers "soup" that's great for detox. It comes complete with shower, bathroom, sink, and small living room with massage table. After you enjoy the soak tub it is followed by a hour-long body massage. I highly recommend this.

Foot massage is also available at a very well done treatment room. Lights are comfortably dim and you easily lull to sleep while being serviced. It's pretty cheap at 80RMB for 60-min session. Once again, highly recommended.

Hotel itself is neutral/average. Add a star for the SPA greatness.

Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed December 16, 2007

Thankfully we only stayed here for one night as part of our China tour. The hotel looked okay from the outside, inside was a open rising lobby to the roof. This was the first hotel in China to ask us for 100RMB as a deposit instead of a credit card. Fortunately our room was on the corner of the building so slightly larger than normal. It had been redecorated but not refitted having a horrible maroon en-suite, but everything worked. Our view was toward the Three Pagodas but a little hazy by the permanant mist & fog around Dali.
The food choice was terrible, Chinese buffet or an attempt at western food in the bar, needless to say we stuck to sandwiches. Breakfast was no better I made do with cereal & toast but my wife had the banana bread which was very good as stated previously by another review.
To be honest I personally would skip Dali on a China tour & continue to Lijiang which is a far better place.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed November 27, 2007

My wife and i were on a 21 day trip around China, staying generally in excellent hotels. The Asia star was simply one of the poorest hotels we have stayed at over the past many years. It was like a mausoleum, cavernous and cold. The bedrooms were undergoing some spraying with something that seemed very strong; the food was quite unacceptable. The whole place seemed rundown.

Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank jjedwards
Reviewed November 1, 2007

When we arrived at this very big hotel we thought we were in for the usual impersonal big group experience. Seeing around 14 coaches in the carpark did nothing but manage our expectations. Traveling just the two of us we resigned ourselves to what lay ahead, easpecially when we heard there was a shuttle bus to the old town in the evenings!
Well we were surprised. The reception staff were pretty friendly and we were alloacted a lake view room on the 6th floor. The room was basic but big with a view of the carpark and road and somewhere in the distance the lake. It was pretty wet and hazy so we could not see much at all. They provide apples in the room, which was a nice change as was the hair conditioner. The lifts in the hotel have the floor carpet changed everyday to tell you what day of the week it is. This was actually useful after travelling for for about 40 days!
The gym was very tired and the equipment didn't look like it even worked. The lobby has a coffee shop that sells bread, beer and some other supplies. There is a money changing machine and free broadband access in the lobby. This was best closest to the business centre. We even managed to find some people to talk to in the lobby and it did not feel as impersonal as some other huge Chinese hotels.
Breakfast was ok - avoid the cereal but the banana bread was good. It seemed very chaotic though.
We took the free shuttle bus into the old town for dinner. It was fine, We were unsure of the time back to the hotel but there was already a crowd waiting at the bus stop and it was not too long a wait.
This hotel turned out to be okay in the end!

• Stayed: October 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank geronimoturtle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dali
Yun Liang Golden Spring Hotel
The Linden Centre
The Linden Centre
#1 of 491 in Dali
Hilton Dali Resort & SPA

Been to Asian Star Hotel (Ya Xin)? Share your experiences!