“A Great Experience!”

Rice & Friends Chinese cooking School
Ranked #1 of 1 Food & Drink in Dali
More attraction details
Owner description: Rice & Friends Chinese cooking school offers hands-on Chinese cooking courses with English instruction in a beautiful open-air setup with mountain views. It is a very authentic and personal 5-hour cooking experience, including outdoor-market shopping for ingredients, introduction to the theory of Chinese cooking, hands-on preparation of 3 dishes with a recipe booklet to take away and plenty of time for everybody to sit down together and enjoy the meal they cooked themselves. The receipes has been tested overseas and specially designed in order to make sure you can still get all the ingredients for those dishes when you are back home.
Tel Aviv, Israel
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Great Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We signed up for Rice & Friends after finding it on TripAdvisor, and we are so happy we did!
The "guide", Luxi, is amazing in every way - she is super-nice, cooks great food and probably the best English-speaker in China!

The workshop itself is great, cooking great food, with not as much oil as you usually find in restaurants. We learned how to make 3 basic dishes which were all delicious with Luxi's great teaching.
After having a great time on the first day, She kindly agreed to give us another private cooking lesson about dumplings! We really wanted to learn and Luxi was very kind to organize this for us, for a very low price. We highly recommend this experience to every westerner!

Visited July 2013

“Great way to end a trip in Dali.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Luxy our cooking teacher was extremely knowledge about Chinese food from different areas. She was friendly and spoke excellent English. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip to the local market and Luxy's appartment were we made the 3 dishes was light and airy. We would recommend this course to everyone.

Visited August 2013
Brooklyn, New York
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

My friends and I had a wonderful time learning about Chinese cuisine, cooking, and conversing with Luxi at Rice and Friends. I would highly recommend it to anyone passing through Dali.

Kathmandu
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Taste of China”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Starting with a visit to the lovely little market in the centre of town, Luxi explained about some of the produce that we were going to use in our cooking class. Back at her home, she gave us an interesting run down on the main styles of Chinese cooking and an introduction to some of the basic ingredients - soy sauce, sesame oil, pepper - all of which we were using to cook up our dishes.

Luxi explained everything so clearly, anyone can easily follow. Everywhere I go, I like to take a cooking class and this was definitely the best I've been to. I learned a lot that I can't wait to get home to try. A real highlight of my visit to Dali, I really enjoyed myself. If I say so myself, the results were delicious!

Nanjing, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What delicious way to learn!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

From the moment Luxi (owner and chef of Rice & Friends) met us at the assigned place and time, I knew we were in the hands of a professional. Friendly and knowledgeable with an outstanding command of English, Luxi led our little group of wannabe-Chinese-cooks through the market, identifying the various items on our grocery list and providing us with the cultural context for our upcoming cooking session. It wasn't long before we were positioned at individual work stations in a sparkling-clean work space and being shown how to cook the menu of the day. In a clear and organized fashion, Luxi helped us to produce a scrumptious Chinese meal, which we later enjoyed eating in the relaxing atmosphere of her dining room. Happily, we didn't have to take notes: Luxi gave us a little cook book with all the details we would need to replicate the meal at home. One of the most satisfying experiences I've had since I arrived in China six months ago!

Visited July 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction