Rice & Friends Chinese Cooking School
More Information

Ways to Experience Rice & Friends Chinese Cooking School
from $50.00
More Info
All reviews chinese cuisine dumplings at home rice market tour learned how from scratch speaks perfect english cucumber salad food tour green tea dining area amazing lunch spring rolls cultural experience class ingredients
Selected filters
Reviewed May 8, 2011

We had a fantastic day with Luxi at Rice&Friends cooking school. The day started perfectly with a trip to the market to buy our ingredients and get taught about different Chinese vegetables that we didn't recognise. Then we went to Luxi's beautiful home where we each had a work station for our cooking. Everyone got to individually cook each dish under Luxi's careful instruction. We had a 3 course meal plus desert and didn't need to eat for the rest of the day! We came home with a lovely cookbook about the dishes we had prepared. A bargin for 99RMB!

Date of experience: May 2011
Reviewed May 4, 2011

My booking class with Luxi was fantastic and such a good value for 99Y (other courses costs twice as much). I've taken a few cooking classes since traveling in Asia and was blown away by Luxi's attention to detail. After shopping in the market, we went to her gorgeous garden where she taught us all about the typical ingredients of a Chinese kitchen. Everyone had their own cooking station and Luxi was quick to offer helpful information (like what kind of wok to buy and how you should prepare it before cooking). After a lovely meal with lovely fellow travelers, she then gave us a printed cookbook which even included tips on looking for ingredients in our home countries. On top of all that, Luxi is a great hostess and the sweetest person! Loved, loved my day with her!

Date of experience: May 2011
Reviewed April 29, 2011

Travelling to China, I wanted to attend a Chinese Cooking Class. Based in Kunming, I googled cooking class in Kunming and came across Rice and Friends in Dali. I sent Luxi an email and we started our email correspondence. What I liked about the cooking school's initial correspondence was the efficient, friendliness that Luxi came across in her emails and her willingness to advise with regards to accommodation/train/bus times and cost. AND I did not have to pay upfront. We arrived early in the morning from an overnight train trip from Kunming to Dali and met up with Luxi in Dali Old Town. We immediately went to the market to purchase our produce and here Luxi displayed her knowledge of local produce. The cooking school setup is tranquil and peaceful. You get to cook outside and everything is setup professionally. I can highly recommend this experience to anyone – whether you can cook or not, meeting Luxi and gaining some well thought through knowledge of her recipes was something I will not forget. The added bonus to all this is that you get to eat all your food that you cook and you get a cooking book souvenir to take home with you.

1  Thank nickyvockins
Reviewed April 23, 2011

We had such a wonderful day with Luxi. She is a very patient and warm person, and was very knowledgeable when it came to all our cuisine related questions. We were so full from all the food we had cooked for the whole day, and the recipe book she gave us will insure that my family can enjoy the fabulous dishes that i did. Thank you Luxi! Take care

Reviewed April 23, 2011

We are so glad we decided to take this cooking course. Luxi was really cool, interesting it was lovely hearing about China from an insiders perspective. She is full of knowledge about all kinds of Chinese cooking and her home is also very beautiful. She was extremely patient when there was some delay in payment.
So all in all, a delightful day spent amongst the flowers cooking delectable dishes!
We can't wait to try them at home using the recipe book we recieved.
Thank You so much Luxi!