“Awesome Professional Chinese Cooking School”

Rice & Friends Chinese cooking School
Ranked #1 of 1 Food & Drink in Dali
More attraction details
Owner description: Rice & Friends Chinese cooking school offers hands-on Chinese cooking courses with English instruction in a beautiful open-air setup with mountain views. It is a very authentic and personal 5-hour cooking experience, including outdoor-market shopping for ingredients, introduction to the theory of Chinese cooking, hands-on preparation of 3 dishes with a recipe booklet to take away and plenty of time for everybody to sit down together and enjoy the meal they cooked themselves. The receipes has been tested overseas and specially designed in order to make sure you can still get all the ingredients for those dishes when you are back home.
Reviewed April 29, 2011

Travelling to China, I wanted to attend a Chinese Cooking Class. Based in Kunming, I googled cooking class in Kunming and came across Rice and Friends in Dali. I sent Luxi an email and we started our email correspondence. What I liked about the cooking school's initial correspondence was the efficient, friendliness that Luxi came across in her emails and her willingness to advise with regards to accommodation/train/bus times and cost. AND I did not have to pay upfront. We arrived early in the morning from an overnight train trip from Kunming to Dali and met up with Luxi in Dali Old Town. We immediately went to the market to purchase our produce and here Luxi displayed her knowledge of local produce. The cooking school setup is tranquil and peaceful. You get to cook outside and everything is setup professionally. I can highly recommend this experience to anyone – whether you can cook or not, meeting Luxi and gaining some well thought through knowledge of her recipes was something I will not forget. The added bonus to all this is that you get to eat all your food that you cook and you get a cooking book souvenir to take home with you.

1  Thank nickyvockins
"cucumber salad"
"patient teacher"
"local vegetables"
in 3 reviews
"answered all our questions"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed April 23, 2011

We had such a wonderful day with Luxi. She is a very patient and warm person, and was very knowledgeable when it came to all our cuisine related questions. We were so full from all the food we had cooked for the whole day, and the recipe book she gave us will insure that my family can enjoy the fabulous dishes that i did. Thank you Luxi! Take care

Reviewed April 23, 2011

We are so glad we decided to take this cooking course. Luxi was really cool, interesting it was lovely hearing about China from an insiders perspective. She is full of knowledge about all kinds of Chinese cooking and her home is also very beautiful. She was extremely patient when there was some delay in payment.
So all in all, a delightful day spent amongst the flowers cooking delectable dishes!
We can't wait to try them at home using the recipe book we recieved.
Thank You so much Luxi!

Reviewed March 30, 2011

My girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed the cooking course. We learnt three dishes which was just right. Luxi speaks excellent English and cooked alongside us which helped us remember all the steps required.

The dishes are also ones which we would cook everyday plus we got a booklet at the end of the course with the recipes.

1  Thank vish23
See more reviews
Reviewed March 29, 2011

I have attended cooking classes all over China and this has to rank among the best. Luci is a wonderful instructor. I notice that there is a big difference between being a good cook vs a good teacher when it comes to cooking lessons, and Luci definitely has both traits. She gives a thorough explanation of Chinese condiments and ingredients, and also provides useful tips on cooking techniques. She even showed us how to use a rice cooker!

Her home and garden set up is lovely and clean. And her complimentary coffee rocks. All the best Luci, and I look forward to more delicious recipes on my next visit to Dali.