“The only place I stay in Dali!”
Review of SleepyFish Lodge

SleepyFish Lodge
Ranked #5 of 125 Specialty Lodging in Dali
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I come to Dali often and I just refuse to stay anywhere else. China isn't a quiet place, and this hotel is somehow peaceful while being in Old Town. The food is delicious and if it's winter...they put heated blankets on each side of the bed. Not quite normal for China!

The workers speak English and help you with whatever you need. Today, I rode a bike to a trail by the lake, which wouldn't have been possible without them.

Perfect place to stay...trust me!

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed November 8, 2012

The receptionists speak great English and are extremely helpful. It is foreign owned and managed, meaning quality is the standard. Clean rooms, soft beds, authentic Western food (including pastas, curry's and real sausages!!) and 2 very friendly Golden Retrievers make it the best place I've stayed in China!! Hands down.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Rachel L
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Pros: Our room was on the ground floor with a lovely veranda overlooking the garden. The room itself was nice; clean and comfortable. The Chinese lady at reception was very helpful and friendly.

Cons: The dogs and rude owner! Whilst I have no problems with dogs, the 3 in the Sleepy Fish are out of control. When we arrived (in the dark), they bounded up to the gate barking, which really scared my friend (and me) – she didn’t want to go in at all. After that they settled down on the barking. However, at least one of them is a major kleptomaniac. Unfortunately, being on the ground floor, they are free to come onto the veranda, and take what they want, which we learnt the hard way. As the weather was nice, we obviously sat on the veranda with the door open. Three times a dog ran in (at lightning speed), stole a shoe/item of clothing from inside the room, and ran off. The American (?) owners thought that this sort of behaviour was amusing, and instead of trying to train the dog not to do this, she just tutted (with a big smile on her face), and wagged her finger at the dog. None of the times did she apologize, which is not acceptable. She did say that they only like to chew and hide it, not actually eat it…as if that made it ok. Hello!? This is a hotel/hostel where people pay to stay, not your house/kennel. Despite sitting on the veranda all afternoon (and having things stolen), the owner barely acknowledged us, but had a long chat with the girls checking in to the room next door (2 metres away!) on their veranda! Incredible. We were also able to see the dogs pooing at will over the lawn, and the poor Chinese staff running after them cleaning up. Yuck. The hostel is also quite a way from the centre of Dali, so you have a long uphill walk (15 mins) to any restaurants/activity. There is a loud KTV place next door. Save yourself the hassle, and stay in a place in the centre, and leave the indifferent owners to their nasty dogs. (BTW, I’m not anti-dog. I just stayed in a place in Langkawi with three dogs that sat, and wagged their tails and didn’t bark manically and steal!)

Room Tip: Don't stay on the ground floor!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank A380fan
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed here recently for several nights and it was great, the staff are all super friendly and interested in where you've come from and where you're going and made some great recommendations on things to do etc. The room itself was great and had the best shower I've used in weeks which was perfect for when you come back from a massive walk. If in town again, I'd definitely look up Sleepy Fish, plus they have friendly golden retrievers!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 8, 2012

My husband, three of our children and 17 friends stayed at Sleepy Fish Lodge for a week. I can honestly say it was the most amazing place to stay EVER! The staff was so amazing (even when I ordered 2 brkfst) and the rooms and grounds were wonderful. To wake up in the morning and see the mountains was breathtaking. The food that was served (especially the pizza) delicious! Dali is a beautiful city in China and I cannot wait to go there again. I was so nervous about going to a place I had never been before but Sleepy Fish made our trip perfect!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Julie C
Reviewed August 12, 2012

To tell the truth I ´ve never slept in hostel or guesthouse. But in China everything is possible.
I had no time to arrange some hotel in Dalí. This adress I´ve got at a coffee shop (thank you!!!)
from one girl.
I was suprised with good value of Sleepyfish Lodge. Our room was nice, clean and with nice
bathroom. The girls from reception were friendly and very good speaking english (it is not usual
in China). They also arranged for us a driver Mr. A Yuan.
I recommend you our room (seems to be the best) on second floor with nice view. There was only
one MINUS - a cock at four morning.....

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JARMILA V
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I loved this place! It was booked for us by a friend of ours living in Dali and I am so thankful he chose it for us (we were a large group). My 10 year old daughter and I shared a room and it was clean, quiet and ample space for us (on the ground level). The beds were comfortable and I loved the courtyard. My daughter really loved their two very friendly Golden Retrievers. The food was really good - we had breakfast four mornings and brick-oven pizza one night (recommend the goat cheese and tomato! - meat lovers was good too). As for the other reviews about the noise - I only heard the rooster - but who cares? It adds to the charm of the place!

The staff is what really makes this place welcoming. They are very friendly and accommodating and a joy to be around. They rented bikes for us and we had an incredible experience biking around the countryside. I have stayed in hotels (for business) and hostels worldwide and I would recommend this place to any budget-minded traveler. I plan to return to Dali one day with the rest of my family and we will definitely stay there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends