“Great experience esp for beginners”
Review of ClimbDali

ClimbDali
More attraction details
Owner description: Climb Dali offers guided trips involving a range of outdoor activities. We specialize in developing custom outdoor adventure programs that include any combination of rock climbing, trekking, cycling, flatwater kayaking, and river rafting, all of which include certified guides and equipment. All of our programs are operated in stunning locations around Dali and greater northwest Yunnan, well off the beaten path. If you want to experience the Yunnan that hasn't been modified for tourists, get in touch with us!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Nanjing, China
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great experience esp for beginners”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

This was a little pricey for backpackers, but well worth it. I have some climbing experience and had a great time doing the routes that Adam and his coworker (forget his name now..) created on a rock face facing Erhai lake. We had a short hike with great views to the rock face where we climbed. I think it was even more exciting for beginners - there were some people in the group who had never rock-climbed before, and I could see they really enjoyed this as their first experience.

Adam and his coworker were really easy-going and made you feel comfortable. I imagine this would be comforting if you are nervous and a beginner or scared of heights.

Visited June 2014

Brooklyn, NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Most Unique Experience in Dali!!”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I came to Dali to escape from the pollution and crowded cities that I had visited previously. I was aware that there was rock climbing in Dali and got so much more than expected. We took a nice little hike to this area on the western part of Erhai Lake, where Adam has set up some easy and challenging ropes courses. The best part is... once you've climbed to the top, you can look behind you and see the most spectacular view of Erhai Lake. It was quite a stunning experience and I would highly recommend climbing with ClimbDali to anyone who passes through this area!

Visited July 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“April in Dali”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I and my wife had a fantastic time walking in the hills/mountains around Dali. Setting up the trip was easy and Adam replied promptly to all of our email with helpful advice. I was really surprised that we saw hardly anyone else on the paths; just one or two hill villagers gathering pine-cones or going up or down to town for supplies or trade. It really does give you the feeling of being close to nature. The scenery was quite varied, forest, meadows, evergreen and deciduous trees etc. We did one walk in the Cangshan's and another across Chickenfoot. Adam seemed quite knowledgeable about the flora and fauna, as well as having an understanding of the life and culture of the people living in this region. (Not to mention his fluent Chinese!) We were not quite sure what to expect but we could not have hoped for more. After a day of trekking we also appreciated the pizza, salad and beer (competitively priced I might add) in the Climb Dali restaurant/bar to boot!

Visited April 2014
Seattle, Washington
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun day at the crags in Dali”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I recently went to Dali with my family and had e-mailed Adam off and on prior to our trip. We had no formal arrangement, as my plans were not certain. I called him when we arrived and Adam was very flexible in being able to offer a day trip for us on short notice. He brought all the equipment, picked us up, and drove us to the crag overlooking the lake about 45 minutes drive away. He is easy going, very interesting to talk to, and is very patient with kids (mine are 8 and 11). His routes are well bolted, and anchors are solid. We had a really nice day, except it was very sunny and hot that day and there was no shade. I love to climb and check out new places, and my kids had a really good time. My youngest, who has not really climbed outside at all was able to do a part of an easy route a few times just to make her feel more confident. Highly recommended, but bring sun hats and plenty of water!

Visited April 2014
Melbourne, Australia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Loved it!”
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

We went to Dali especially to climb. We both climb back home yet my partner had not done much outdoors and we decided that it would be a great opportunity to do our sports lead training in Dali to allow us climb more independently as we travel. Adam is a relaxed fellow, and very professional and showed us all that was needed to feel confident. The whole operation was quite low key. We were picked up by Adam on both days and drove off to an incredible crag above erhai lake. It was hot and dry, very different from the other side of the lake where Dali is, so I do wonder now whether a bit earlier in the year might be cooler for climbing if we were to visit the area again. A thought for future reference.
Anyhow, we did most basics the first day whilst the 2nd day we abseiled and mainly climbed independently. We also practiced falling which is very useful to do outdoors as it feels different to the indoor gym.
Throughout we had great chats with Adam about China as he has lived here for 7 years and it was really helpful to hear from him what China is like today.
His homemade peanut butter is the best, certainly better than the store bought we had.
Adam also made good restaurant recommendations which we thoroughly enjoyed.
All in all we felt utterly shattered but in total bliss at the end of it all and my partner is now more keen than ever to climb outdoors.