“Rooms are decent, but will not return”
Review of New Jiu Zhai Hotel

New Jiu Zhai Hotel
Ranked #14 of 211 Hotels in Jiuzhaigou County
Reviewed September 28, 2011

We stayed for 1 night of our 9 day China tour - and overall it is a decent hotel. The lobby is spacious and modern, which probably heightened my expectations for the rooms, which disappointed.
The room that I got was a double standard bed, which was rather small and dark. Spatial measurements may differ subjectively, but it was small as in there was just enough space to allow you to walk the circumference of the room. TV reception was blurry with no international channels. Bathroom was small as well, and the biggest fault of all, and my husband agrees, that the bathing water (thankfully with heater) had a 'rusty' smell to it. I did feel clean after my shower, but there was that 'rusty' (almost like the insides of a pipe) smell that lingered, not a great feeling to have after a long and tiring day exploring the valleys.
Breakfast was basic but probably not to Western tastes - personally so long as I have my porridge, fresh fruits and tea I am satisfied.
Service wise - the only time we spoke with staff (and we do converse in Mandarin, so no advice for English only speakers) was to enquire on nearby massage places, and the receptionist was curt and apparently not in the mood to help much.
Overall, a decent hotel that feels like 3 stars, but probably not suitable for international travelers. I did spot Intercontinental and Sheraton properties while in Jiuzhai - maybe consider those.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank gracetay

Reviewed September 7, 2011

First time to Jiu Zhai Gou with tour group, hotel was chosen by tour agency.

The room was clean and comfortable. The room air con was only acceptable as it wasn't that cooling. Have one blackout in the early morning for about few minutes. Luckily not that dark as we can depend on the morning light via glass window.

Have free wifi at the lobby.

Morning breakfast was ok, mainly chinese dishes.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank AW_SG
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Went with tour agency and check in this hotel for 2 nights.
Nothing bad nor fantastic. Room is clean and good! Quite posh actually. Had a good sleep.

Aircon not cold enough. Bed is alright. Not really as hard as what other reviewers mentioned. Nothing to shop around. No English TV channel.

Blackout happens 3 or 4 times during my stay but heard from my tour guide that its common as they are located at high altitude.

Free wifi in the lobby. Hotel restaurant food is not bad.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ahbui83
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Hotel is 4 star rated with clean, comfy rooms.

Customer Service is decent.

Breakfast is considered decent due to being on the highlands
thus cannot expect lots of varieties / good taste.

Can hire a car to get to JiuZhai "Bian Bian Street" / town for shopping which is ~10mins away.

Will stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank fluzilla
Reviewed November 25, 2010

Pros:
*The hotel's and room's design is beautiful and luxurious and it is very clean.
*Very close to the Jiu Zhai nature reserve.

Cons:
*Staff doesn't speak English at all. A misunderstanding we had with the laundry service cost us a ridiculous fortune.
*And to make things worse – they do not accept international credit cards.
*The bed is the stiffest in China (yes, even more than the norm, and I've been to a lot of hotels in China).
*The air-conditioning didn't work so it was very cold in the room.

I have no idea what we actually paid for this stay because it came in a whole package deal.
To conclude:
This hotel could be excellent if it only improved its customer service for westners.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SupernovaSurvivor
Reviewed October 28, 2010

The hotel itself is clean and functional. The rooms were clean and tidy but nothing special - internet access as with all Chinese hotels. The choice of food in the restaurant was average and the breakfast was limited for Westerners. The hotel wouldn't accept any of our credit cards (Visa; Mastercard or Amex). Our main issue was they failed to deal with a serious problem. My family were trying to contact us by phone to inform us my mother was seriously ill and we needed to return home. They put the phone down on people trying to speak to them in English - even though they were giving our name and room number. My family then employed a Chinese friend to call - as it was 1am they refused to put his call through to our room - despite having the situation explained to them. I just find this truly appalling. We ended up finding out by e-mail and having to call home via the hotel business centre - £8 for 6min.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nosprintfinish
Reviewed October 5, 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights in the peak season, and we definitely think that this was the worst value for money hotel in our entire 4 weeks trip to China.

Originally I preferred to stay in Sheraton, but we didn't agree to spend ~2000 RMB per night.
We paid 1080 RMB per night for the room in this hotel (reserved through Ctrip), and we expected much more than we got.

The staff could not speak English, except the hotel manager. So, he had to help us for every request we had, but he was not available all the time.

We ate a dinner in the room. We asked that the food will not be spicy and the waitress nodded, like she understood, but the food was very spicy (Sichuan style).

We complained about the cleanliness of the bath, but they never cleaned it.
The carpet became very dirty after the first night (because of powder that fell down mistakenly), but they didn't clean it as well.

It was very hot in the room (20/Sep), but the air-conditioning could only work in “warming” mode. They helped us to open the windows, but it was still too hot in the room.

The beds are very hard and stiff.

Breakfast was very poor for people who look for western dishes. The only western thing there was bread, margarine and jam.

We checked out very early (5:00am). I expected that we will have communication problems during check out. This is why I asked to settle our bill at the last night before checking out. They told me that everything is settled down – I just need to pick up my deposit the next morning (only 200 yuan). Finally, as I expected, the clerk didn’t speak English when we checked out, and she enforced me to pay ~ 130 yuan with Chinese invoice and explanation. I could not do anything, since I was very hurry for my flight. Till now, I do not know what I paid for.

Positive things:
1. They accept foreign credit cards (unlike the information I read in another review).
2. Due to other reviews, we were worried about lack of hot water in the shower, but there was no such a problem at evenings or mornings.
3. It is about 5 minutes drive from Jiuzhaigou entrance, and there is always a taxi waiting outside.
4. There is a small supermarket less than 5 minutes walk from the hotel.

Bottom line:
If you are a western traveller - avoid this hotel, especially for the price we paid.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank UVA2000