“Garden City”

Ranked #1 of 194 Hotels in Jiuzhaigou County
Sydney, Australia
“Garden City”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This place is huge, they've designed it in a similar design to a Tibetan Castle inside a huge bio-dome like garden. Very large rooms, and spotless service. English was limited, which is expected around this area, however they always have someone on hand to help.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Lilian_Li, Distribution &Relationship Marketing Team at InterContinental Resort Jiuzhai Paradise, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at InterContinental Resort Jiuzhai Paradise. We are gald to know that our environment and staff service helped in making your stay enjoyable. Your encouraging review will help us constantly improve our service to oversee our guest expectations. Thank you and we look forward to serving you again.
Distribution &Relationship Marketing Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
KL
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

I have to put up this question to intercontinental. I have not stayed here but have visited this facility and was planning to stay this November, in order to comment I have now a middle ground rating.
1. Are you not turning on the heater in the rooms during low season or you just do not have adequate heating? I have feedback from friends whom got severely sick after staying here due to the cold.
2. I did not see improvement in the unscrupolous haggling although these have been commented since years back.
3. Musty smell in a 5 star intercontinental reflects poor housekeeping
4.hot water inadequacy also commented. This is minimal requirement for any hotels
5. Canteen like breakfast area- simple interior partition helps and organization of more buffet tables in sections helps so there is no canteen like queue.
6.I have last year decided to go for sheraton for 5 night stay after reading about inadequacy of your hotel. I visited this hotel then and would love to stay here due to your beautiful facilities. However these same comments are giving me very negative reservation for the price of your hotel. Do not underestimate these comments as I'm getting the same stories here in my country
7. What is your policy on room deposit

• Stayed November 2012
Lilian_Li, Distribution &Relationship Marketing Team at InterContinental Resort Jiuzhai Paradise, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns on our hotel. We would like to further discuss with you on the various issues you have brought up. Please kindly contact Stanley Li, our Director of Rooms at stanley.li3@ihg.com. He will personally take good care of you to ensure you have an enjoyable stay with us during your visit.
Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to hearing from you and serving you in the near future.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 26, 2013

When booking the InterContinental, you think "dang, this is going to be a great place to relax and have great customer service."

Don't think that about this hotel.

When we checked in, they had no record of our reservation (made through hotels.com). Based on the reviews below, this has been an issue for awhile and has yet to be remedied although the lady commenting on these reviews say they will "review the incident" each time. In addition, since they couldn't find our reservation, they tried to charge us a ¥5000 deposit on our room! After flat out saying no, they decided to haggle the deposit. --If i wanted to haggle, I'd go to a street market and buy some duck on a stick.

After the 30-minute check in debacle, we made it to our room and just needed to check on some work items on our laptop: turns out, no wifi (except for the "guestrooms@intercontinental" wifi that they say doesn't exist), but that's ok so I go for the wired internet and the cord is too short and is broken at both ends. After calling to get a new cord, they tell us that internet is free and wifi is ¥50/day. We get transferred to a few more people who then say that internet is ¥50/day (wired) and wifi doesn't exist. Finally we just told them to bring us a new cord.

The rest of the stay was pretty uneventful. I realized my PriorityClub Platinum number wasn't on the account so had them add it (which resulted in free internet). The breakfast is actually really good, lots of selection (even waffles for the homesick american!). My co-traveler spoke with the hotel manager on our second night (we stayed three nights) about some transportation issues (the concierge was using his friends to transport people around, paying cheap rates to these "taxis" yet charging hotel rates and pocketing the difference). The manager seemed appalled at all of this that went on and was very apologetic.

Overall, the hotel is a beautiful property in a beautiful part of this country, but the service brings it down so far I would strongly recommend avoiding it at all costs. However, it's somewhat hard when there's only two international chains (Sheraton is around there as well).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank spitcool
Lilian_Li, Distribution &Relationship Marketing Team at InterContinental Resort Jiuzhai Paradise, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Platinum Member,
Thank you for staying at InterContinental Resort Jiuzhai Paradise. We noticed that you and your friend both leave the comments about what you have experienced during your stay. Please accept our utmost sincere apologies to both of you. We have taken note of your feedback and will take necessary actions to provide a better service. Please feel free to contact me directly if you are travelling to Jiuzhaigou again. We will take good care of you and your friends on your next stay.
washington, dc
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I absolutely would NOT recommend this hotel. The Intercontinental Jiuzhai is a beautiful place to stay (think Disney World, Tibet edition) but customer service is terrible even by Chinese standards.
Positives first: visually impressive building, solid breakfast.
Detractions: guest rooms and residential hallways are a huge dropoff from the lobby/common areas. Hallways are low-ceilinged, dark, and smell musty. NO WIFI in guest rooms and 50 RMB charge per 24 hours for wired internet access in rooms – though this fee is waived if you are a Priority Club Gold or Platinum member. Staff threw major attitude explaining the situation.

The most appalling aspect of this hotel is how it seems to be run like a corrupt small town bureaucracy, complete with backdoor deals and kickbacks. Policies, if existent, are unenforced. Read on if you care to hear about our experience....

First, when we arrived, we were told that the hotel had no record of our pre-paid reservation. The swarm of ladies at the front desk, though apologetic (I speak pretty fluent Mandarin), then asked for a 5,000 RMB “deposit” in order for us to occupy the room. When we flat out refused, they tried to negotiate down, asking first: “how about 1,000”, before finally asking “well, what would you be willing to pay?” Seriously? Haggling is for the street, not "five-star" hotels.

The second incident unfolded on the last evening of our stay. Mr. William Jin, the concierge to whom I’d spoken on the phone three days prior to arrange a hotel pickup from the Jiuzhai airport, rang up our room directly late in the evening and asked if he could send up his “associate” to come pick up the 400 RMB fee he had quoted me for the hotel car. This struck us as odd, since at the time we had arrived, I had attempted to pay the driver 400 RMB, only to have William assure me we could settle up everything later when checking out. Since I’m not accustomed to pimps coming to my door to collect money for their criminal enterprises, I headed straight to the front desk and asked to speak with the manager and at least demand a receipt. We discovered that William had sent a non-official hotel car (which charges a lower rate than 400 RMB) to pick us up from the airport, while still quoting the “official” hotel rate for their own cars. Presumably he asked for cash directly from me rather than have the transaction appear on hotel books, and planned to pay the driver his cut while pocketing a portion for himself.

To the manager’s credit (Ms. Celia Zhong), she seemed genuinely mortified and concerned with the news that the staff were up to such shady dealings. She apologized profusely to me, explaining that many of the staff are local residents, who, in her words, were “less sophisticated” and “less accustomed to the rigidity of procedures and rules.” Ms. Zhong insisted on waiving the 400 RMB fee, promised an investigation into her staff’s off-book activities, and handed me her card in case I had follow up questions. Whether this incident represents the rule or the exception for staff behavior at the Intercontinental Jiuzhai, however, I still don’t know.

In summary? Even adjusting for bias I would recommend checking out other hotel options instead.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Jvark
Lilian_Li, Distribution &Relationship Marketing Team at InterContinental Resort Jiuzhai Paradise, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Guest,
We are very disappointed to see that you were dissatisfied with your recent stay at InterContinental Resort Jiuzhai Paradise and we did not meet your expectations in a number of areas. Please accept our sincere apologies. We want to know more details happened during your stay and follow up with the related departments where you have experienced unsatisfied service to ensure that these do not happen again.
It is our sincere hope that you can give us another opportunity to provide you a better service. We hope that you will witness our changes in the near future.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 23, 2013

It is a luxury hotel in Jiuzhaigou. Tibet style room design. Good view from hotel room as it is really located in rural area. But the hotel is not next to the entrance of Jiuzhaigou Park. Guests must take taxi or shuttle bus to the park.
Hotel restaurants offer nice food, but it is overpriced. Everything in Jiuzhaigou is overpriced even I speak Chinese. Locals seem to charge tourists with surprisingly high prices.
One critical drawback: breakfast room is very crowded. Too many people during breakfast time.

Room Tip: Breakfast room is already crowded at 7:30am. Try to enjoy your breakfast as early as possible. And r...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at InterContinental Resort Jiuzhai Paradise and posting this review. We are delight to know that you like our food. Thanks for your kind advise on the time for breakfast. We will prepare two restaurants for buffet according to the reservation. We thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.
Redmond, WA
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed in JiuZhaiGou for four nights on our recent visit, two nights each in the only two five star hotels in the area, i.e. two nights in the InterContinental and two nights in the Sheraton. My overall feeling with this place is that it had a top rate architect designing the resort, it was simply amazing how they built a Vegas style resort up on a mountain ridge in a very remote part of China. However the execution part (the construction and the hotel management) fell way short of the standard of a 5 star hotel/resort. I’ll go through a few things that I experienced on my two night stay which I don’t expect from a 5 star hotel (not even a 3 star):

1. When we checked in, they insisted on charging us the wrong rate. It wasn’t until I showed them a print out of my reservation that had a 20% lower rate for them to change my rate.
2. We had one of the deluxe rooms, i.e. the ones with a mountain view and a fake fireplace. The room had very inadequate heating, it took two days of running A/C on high and leaving the fireplace on (basically a small space heater with fake flames) to get the temperature up to 70 degrees. The alarm clock in the room can also show temperature, so we knew exactly how chilly our first night was. And this was mid April, I couldn’t imagine what the room would be like in winter times.
3. The rooms was big but on closer inspection it’s showing wear and tear, and the toilet kept running.
4.There was no heating in the restaurant that served breakfast. I measured the temperature and it was 45 degrees indoors. I was totally not expecting eating breakfast in a 5 star resort that charged 5 star resort price for a breakfast buffet while wearing down jacket and being able to see my own breath.
5. There was no A/C for the restaurants that we had dinners, luckily we had hotpot on the second night and that hotpot cooktop produced enough heat that I didn’t have to wear a jacket to eat dinner like the first night.
6. The resort is 30 to 60 minute drive away from the entrance to JiuZhaiGou depending on traffic, and there are no shops or restaurants nearby, so it’s not a convenient place to get to anywhere

We regretted staying at the InterContinental. We also stayed at Sheraton for two nights for less money and had a far better experience. Unless you are going there in the middle of the summer, stay elsewhere or be prepared to face the cold.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Huskies92
Lilian_Li, Distribution &Relationship Marketing Team at InterContinental Resort Jiuzhai Paradise, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback on your recent stay with us. Our hotel has been well recognized throughout the online review channels in the past, however we are very concerned to receive such a negative rating from you. We have shared your comments with the hotel management and we are bond to implement measures to improve the guest overall experience. At this moment we apologize for not meeting your expectations and at the same time we hope to get another opportunity to serve you at InterContinental Resort Jiuzhai Paradise.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very nice hotel and great front desk services. The hotel staffs were all so friendly that makes you feel home. But there isn't too much facility provided which is free. Spa, swimming pool, massage services are all on our own costs. The hotel does provide shuttle services to JiuZhaiGou at certain timing at a minimal fee per guest.
There are couple restaurants in the hotel, good for selections. In the evening, free performances in the Zhang Bar area. Local singers have really nice voices. Just need to pay 50yuan to dedicate a song. In the morning, there is only 1 restaurant which only serves buffet according to the restaurant staff. THis is quite ridiculous to me as I am not a big eater. Maybe you can consider bringing your own food/snack ( there is also a local mart in the hotel for your convenience).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Lilian_Li, Distribution &Relationship Marketing Team at InterContinental Resort Jiuzhai Paradise, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at InterContinental Resort Jiuzhai Paradise. We are proud to find out that you like our hotel and staff service .And we glad to hear you like our food selection in different restaurants. Thank you for your advice on the breakfast. We will pass your message to the hotel management. We hope to serve you again in the near future.