“Expensive as it is the only 5* in town - but close to the entrance”

Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort
Ranked #2 of 187 Hotels in Jiuzhaigou County
Beijing, China
“Expensive as it is the only 5* in town - but close to the entrance”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed here in mid-Sept for 4 nights with kids in a pretty small deluxe room.

Pros
- very close to the park entrance & restaurants nearby in town (the only other 5* is the Intercontinental & it is 30 min drive each way from the park entrance - not worth it)
- very good service (I left some clothes behind & the staff made a huge effort to get it back to me)
- good Western/Chinese breakfast buffet (again expensive & kids had to pay extra for it)

Cons
- rooms are old & not clean to the Sheraton standard
- very expensive (>$300 per night)
- no WIFI in the room

Having said that, I would stay here again as there are no other good choices so close to the park entrance. The others are all Chinese ones & not suitable for Western travelers with children.

Restaurant tip - try Star Cafe within walking distance - which has both western & Chinese menu - inexpensive compared to the hotel restaurants which we never tried.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mi_squared
Renee T, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear guest, thank you very much for your precious comments and feedback.
We are glad to know that our signature Sheraton hospitality meet your expectation. Regarding the guest rooms, we are going to renovating the whole hotel in 2014, and all of the facilities will be fully upgraded. We hope the new rooms and facilities will surprise our guests.
Once again, thank you for your comments. We are looking forward to serving you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3-nights. The hotel is a RMB10 taxi ride to the park although the 15 min walk to the park is also quite scenic. It is much nearer compared to the Intercontinental and also located at a lower, more comfotable altitude. The room is warm in winter, bed is comfortable and the shower, strong and hot. Breakfast had options but they were unchanged over 3 days. Had dinner in the Chinese restaurant but felt it was overpriced. It is the best option in the Jiuzhaigou area although I would not say it was 5*

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Drew_X79
Renee T, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for your precious comments. We will pass the feedback to out food and beverage team, and improve the breakfast buffet. We are glad to know that our location and facilities meet your expectation. We hope we can do even better to surprise you in future stay.
We are looking forward to welcome you again!
St. John's, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

We stayed here during Sept holiday in China. The hotel was large and service was ok. The restaurants were good with decent western food if you order al la carte as the buffet seemed mostly chin ease food. With traveled with our young boys and enjoyed our stay. The only issue we had with the hotel was that the hotel room was a little dirty especially the carpet. After checking in there was toe nails and hair in the bathrooms. The house keeping must do a better job. Yuck this kind of ruined it for me the rest of the trip. I had hoped that after the first night service the room would be cleaned better but it was not. There are not many options in this area and although it was dirty the location was better that the Hyatt. We were close to the entrance of the park and because the winding roads we were happy to spend limited time in the car…Road can make most a little car sick. We had dinner in the restaurant and it was good. We also enjoyed some afternoon tea and desserts in the lobby areas which was nice. All in All trip was good if you can get over the rooms being dirty. Not sure we will stay here again and might try the competition

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Expatmommy
Renee T, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear guest, thank you very much for your precious comments and feedback. Our hotel management is very attentive about it.
On behalf of our hotel management team, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. Rigorous room inspection will be done before the guests check in, and we are going to upgrade our hotel facilities soon. We are glad to know that our food meet your satisfaction, and the locality of our hotel was also an additional benefit to your stay.
We are looking forward to serving you again!
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

Hi,
Date of Travel - Dec-1,2,3 2013
Reasons for choosing this hotel -
1. I usually book room myself and plan my trip, and itternary. So except a few hotels, rests of the hotel websites were all in Chinese.
2. Being from southern part of India, I had never felt lower temperatures (below 12 degrees). Here it was 5 to -7 Celsius. So I had very limited option of hotels which had air conditioning 24/7.
3. English - very few people speak english. So getting into a hotel where some English is understood is better.
4. Who does not know Sheraton class? I was at ease.
Room was warm and cozy. Staffs were friendly and helpful.
Some things which this hotel can improve is to provide a shuttle service to the entrance to the park, since the main source of residents is due to the existance of the park. This would greatly benefit the tourists who stay in this hotel, and also add value to the hotel.
For vegetarians - You get plain rice at the hotel, and yogurt in nearby shop. So, you can manage by bringing some GONGOORA/Pickle etc, and curd rice.

Regards,
Vijai

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank VijaiNS
Renee T, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for staying with us at Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort during your recent trip. I am very glad to hear that you were satisfied with the high standard of service we continually strive to achieve.
We are glad that the locality of our hotel which near the Jiuzhaigou national park and shopping area was also an additional benefit to your stay with us. For vegetarian, we can provide the vegetarian food in our Chinese restaurant Pearl Court, and we will suggest our food & beverage team to provide more vegetarian food in our buffet.

Thanks again for your feedback and suggestions. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Lynnwood, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

We were a group traveling so our agent selected this hotel. I gave it 4 stars b/c of the location, the rooms were clean (not tired as some have stated).
Free wi-fi is in the lobby which was ok b/c we got to sit as a group and chat while uploading pics, etc.
The show at the hotel is worth seeing. It's a nice way to spend the night
The location is PERFECT for the park.
Now...the food...AWFUL! Well, it tried to be good...but the buffet EVERY MEAL was STONE COLD...does the kitchen know that those trays come with little warmers that should be lit?? AND if a staff member is assigned to close the lids after use...the food stays warm
the food might have been nice...but it was so cold, it was barely edible.
the only thing that was warm was the ordered eggs and soups ...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Renee T, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear guest, thank you very much for your precious comments and feedback. Our hotel is just 1.5 km away from the entrance of Jiuzhaigou national park. It's very convenient for guests to shopping and visiting the scene spot.
On behalf of our F&B team, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are going to take actions, and make sure the food temperature is suitable for eating.
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Be prepared that everything near the Jiuzhaigou park entrance is on the costly side; including this hotel. Of course no one expects Sheraton to be in the economical class; so is expectation .....
Even though mentally prepared after reading reviews before booking & check-in, there were still disappointments in a few areas.

Hardware:
Nice building design carrying characteristics of the majority race in that region, spacious and good interior throughout. But getting the right hot-cold water was so 'tough' even though the sink/bath/shower water taps are of simple/normal system, and after 2 days of stay!
A few short stays at the lobby had me witnessing/overhearing various kinds of negative feedback/complaints to the front desk staff...... Request to change rooms seem common (including my own experience).

Room:
Pls see feedback on water system above.
Not that spacious for the price. Wardrobe is cramped and not user friendly.

Service:
Front-desk staffs were polite but didn't know how to manage queue and not efficient. And this wasn't the peak season (end Oct).
My own experience was smoking rooms ware allocated when many non-smoking ones were available; even though this was clearly stated at booking time.
SPA charges were not cheap (ok, this is Sheraton), but we were not even offered a cup of plain water, and masseurs kept on up-selling services....
Chinese restaurant charges and service flexibility was a contrast. Just a simple request to replace a few slices of beef (hotpot set meal) with other meat almost created a scene! Manager had to step in to accede to our request, and yet unable to deliver as she offered (chicken became pork....) but we gave up.

Conclusion:
This hotel has the look and potential to be a great hotel in the region.
Although this hotel could continue to sell on being one of the few high end hotels in the area, the location and of course the name, Sheraton has to seriously up the service mark so as not to let it tarnish the brand!

Room Tip: Double check your room preferences at the front desk before going to the room. And be prepared to b...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Wilson C
Renee T, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear guest, thank you very much for your precious comments and feedback. We are very attentive about it. On behalf of our hotel management team, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. We have passed the water system problem feedback to our engineering team, and they will look out for it. Regarding the service, more trainings on improving staffs' service skills will be provided by hotel management team.
We sincerely look forward to having you with us again soon.
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Let me start off by saying I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here - I was a little reluctant having done my 'homework' and having read several negative comments on Tripadvisor about the Sheraton Jiuzhaigou. However, the comments about pretty much every other hotel seemed even worse so I decided to take my chances and book the Sheraton.

What a pleasant surprise. Before my arrival Joy Zhang quickly responded to my emails and kindly arranged my airport pickup. I speak some Chinese but cannot read/write characters so appreciated her email in fluent English. I had booked a 'Deluxe' room and had specifically requested a room in East Wing, based on recommendations here on Tripadvisor. Note: this was a good tip as the west wing is in fact a seperate building. Probably not the end of the world, but easier to stay in the East Wing where the reception, restaurants, gym etc are located.

My room looked fairly new so it looks they have a mix of older and newer - refurbished - rooms in this Sheraton which may explain the mixed reviews. Book a Deluxe Room in the East Wing and you'll be fine. I think these used to be the Club Rooms before they closed the Executive Lounge as this was - albeit closed - on the same floor as my room.

Positives about the hotel:
- Very friendly staff, level of English was mixed but combining my basic Chinese and their basic English (and in a few cases good English) things worked out very well. I think if you don't speak any Chinese people may struggle a little (not only here but in Jiuzhaigou as a whole), but I think they always had at least someone available who could speak some English.
- Their Sichuan restaurant is excellent, don't bother with their western buffet - the Chinese restaurant is far far better. Although not that cheap (main dishes from around 70 to 200 RMB) it is not THAT much more expensive than the local food joints. This says more about Jiuzhaigou as a whole, the whole place is geared up to help you spend your money as quickly as possible (ATMs are everywhere across the village). However, the Sheraton is not particulary expensive when it comes to it's Sichuan restaurant and the quality is good.
- The room was very nice - comfortable bed, nice bathroom. No sign of the mold described in other reviews, so again looked like it was a newer room. Heating was fine, cooling was not. Not a major problem for me as it was cold outside and I'm tall enough to open the two small windows, many people will have trouble getting to the windows without standing on a chair though. Don't expect rooms with a really nice 'view', I don't think there are any - don't worry though, when you get to the park itself you'll have plenty of nice things to see.
- Location: very good, around 15 minutes walk to the entrance of Jiuzhaigou National Park (leave the hotel, turn left and keep walking) or 2 mins by taxi (10 RMB). Behind the hotel are a few small streets with shops, small supermarkets (if you want to buy water etc) and right between the hotel and the small river is Bian Bian Jie which is Jiuzhaigou's restaurant alley. Probably because of the time of the year it looked pretty deserted but I can imagine that in high season and warmer weather it looks nice with people having dinner outside.

Negatives:
- Probably my biggest surprise was the extortionate price of hiring a car via the hotel. A day trip to Huanglong NP (definitely worth it by the way, see my seperate review!) would cost 2,600 RMB when booking the hotel car, whereas the local taxi price was 600 RMB. Of course getting a nice Buick comes a premium but not more than 4 times that of a taxi. Crazy. However, they helped me book a local taxi, 8am departure, return at 6pm, 600 RMB in total.
- My only other gripe would be the 'buffet breakfast' which was absolutely poor quality - not only the Western food was poor quality (poor selection, low quality), also the Asian food looked unappealing, cold and - for example in case of the noodles - drowned in oil. They charged 180 RMB for this, this is something they have to improve, not up to right standard.
- Internet availability is poor - it was hardly working in my room (LAN cable only, no wireless) and you have some, albeit slow, wireless connectivity in the lobby but it doesn't extend to the restaurants and it hardly reaches the bar. In this day and age this is something that can be resolved so quickly and is expected from hotels at this price level, please install some proper wireless APs throughout the main areas (covering the bar and restaurants as well) and in each room.

Overall: would highly recommend the Sheraton. Appreciate other reviewers may have booked different room types so can only comment on Deluxe Rooms in the East Wing and my overall experience. Staff members have been very friendly and Jiuzhaigou was beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask for a Deluxe Room in the East Wing. They seem to be relatively newly refurbished and are in the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Matthijs
Dear guest, thank you very much for your precious comments and feedback. We have shared your review in our hotel management team. We really appreciated that you took the time to write the comments, as we can learn what’s our shortage, and improve our service and products.

Regarding the guest rooms, all of our West wing rooms are Deluxe category and above, which is higher category than East wing rooms(Superior rooms). Thus, there may some difference for the facilities and decoration. For the car rental price and breakfast buffet feedback, we will pass to our related management team, and will start to improve it as soon as possible.

For your info, we are going to renovating the whole hotel soon, and all of the facilities will be upgraded. We hope the new rooms and facilities will WOW our guests.