“NOT "5 Star" but a nice place to stay”

Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort
Ranked #2 of 187 Hotels in Jiuzhaigou County
“NOT "5 Star" but a nice place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Should not be "5 Star", but considering this is "small city" travel in China, this is a nice hotel.
The manager is excellent. "Scott Wang" speaks fluent English, and is very helpful and courteous.
The location is excellent. A 15minute walk or 10Yuan taxi to the park entrance. Clean rooms, and a very comfortable stay.
Most of the staff speak some level of English, and are helpful.

CONS:
Room and hallway smells of cigarette smoke. No WiFi in rooms. Food is poor quality and over-priced.
AirCon/Heat control didn't work in our room. Heater blasted heat all night and the room got uncomfortably hot. Had to open windows.
TIPS:
Eat at "Star Cafe" around the corner. Turn right after walking out the front of the hotel, and take an immediate right down the alley next to the hotel grounds. The food is excellent, cheap, and clean. There's also grocery stores down this lane where you can buy snacks.. Prices in the park and hotel mini bar are outrageous.

*Other reviews that have to do with the PEOPLE in the hotel might be unfair. Chinese do not understand European/Western manners. Spitting in the ashtrays, snorting and picking their noses is normal for them. Yelling with doors open is what they do.."
Enjoy :)

• Stayed March 2013
SheratonJZG, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear guest, Thank you for choosing Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort for your recent stay. We have read your comments about the hotel and we greatly appreciate that you took the time to write them. Thank you for recognizing our caring staff and love for our food. I believe that you enjoyed beautiful sceneries in Jiuzhaigou and wish you an enjoyable day. We are looking forward to serve you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Maybe a 10 minute walk to the park. There are closer local brands. We visited during the off season, so there was a lot closed (grocery stores, restaurants, other hotels).

The food is not amazing in the hotel, but it is solid and priced comparable to the surrounding (not cheap). A very reliable source when most things are closed, but this also means that it can get extremely busy. Service will depend on timing. The bus crowds all hit the buffet at 8AM to get to the park at 830. If you are in the rush at 730-8 try not to get stampeded. The staff is doing all they can to keep the food trays filled and will not have time for you. If you go at 630 or 9, you can get personal service.

Breakfast is a good choice if you get it - overpriced if you are paying list price. Again, there is a benefit if off season and choices are limited.

The rooms are basic and functional, nothing amazing. Reading some other reviews (here and other sites) keep in mind that this is a Chinese travel destination. If you have never been off the beaten track (Beijing, Shanghai) there are certain customs that the hotel can not change. Many Chinese people travel in groups and leave their doors open in hotels. If there is a conversation going on between rooms, they will just yell. Often groups congregate in a single room for cards or tv.

The staff is friendly and wants to help, but sometimes the execution lacks. We were having taxi trouble and the manager gave us his card to call for help. A appreciated gesture. However when we did need help there was not a direct number and no one that answered the phone understood his English name or how to help. So we were still a little stranded.

And a non-hotel warning - be wary of transportation. Again this is way off-season, but many of the taxi drivers are shady. From the airport there was only one high price available and no one would use the meter. We get in, drive for 5 minutes and were forced to change cars because out driver didn't want to drive that far. We booked a driver for the way back - confirming twice. He never showed and the replacements wanted more than we paid to come in. We finally found a good driver, but that was too late.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SzczRob
Dear guest, Thank you for choosing Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort for your recent stay. We have read your comments about the hotel and we greatly appreciate that you took the time to write them, for the service you have mentioned we will continuly making efforts to improve in total. I believe that you enjoyed beautiful sceneries in Jiuzhaigou and wish you an enjoyable day.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

The hotel is a short walk from the park and is one of the only western hotels that are within walking distance of the park. The hotel is large, expensive and impersonal, catering to tour groups more than other customers, and the 'local' decorations and dance shows come across as fake. The staff is helpful and the rooms are comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank MergesTheSky
SheratonJZG, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear guest, thank you for choosing Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort for your recent stay. We have read your comments about the hotel and we greatly appreciate that you took the time to write them. Our property has opened for years, for sure some decor looked not fashion or luxury comparing to city hotels. However, our property has processed renovation part by part. I believe that you enjoyed beautiful sceneries in Jiuzhaigou and wish you an enjoyable day. We are looking forward to serving you again.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Our upgraded suite was absolutely lovely and we enjoyed it. The front desk worked hard to keep us happy and the bellmen were very attentive.
The food was good and plentiful.
ButThe food service was subpar. When I showed the waitress the tablecloth was not clean, she first took the stickers on the table and tossed them on the floor. Then, she grabbed two placemats and out them on top of the dirty tablecloth. When I pointed out one was still dirty, she flipped it over. Yuck! I speak some Chinese, I think the small number of on-speakers would have had a even more difficult time. I got up and went to the server stand to get my own coffee at each of my two breakfasts and also my husbands. The waffle bar was unattended, and the cooks on either side could only say wait. That've cook looked sick and would rush away from the stand holding his stomach after making each waffle so I decided I didn't really need a waffle anyway.

I would warn nonchinese speakers of all the places we visited this trip including chengdu Yangshuo as well as beijing and Xian that this was the place where English was the most challenging. I was surprised at the weak language quality.

Room Tip: The hotel is renovating and the new rooms are larger
Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SheratonJZG, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear guest, thank you for your stay with us as well as your sincere comment. For the problem you have mentioned in your comment, I will forward to relevant department for solutions or improvements. Thank you!
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

This hotel , whilst in the Sheraton chain, struggles into 3 star. The foyer and check-in looks real but the rooms, especially in the west wing, were just worn out. The corridor carpets were being lifted and dried. The rates - ridiculously over-priced.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Timothy666
SheratonJZG, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear guest, apologize for your unpleasant experience with our resort firstly, then for the problem you have mentioned in your comment, I will forward to department to take care. Thank you for your comment!
singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

Much as folks have been saying that this Sheraton is not really up to the standard of the typical Sheraton, I've found it just fine. The quality and size of the room allocated to me and the courteous and attentive service of the staff is beyond reproach. I did not get to assess the quality of their English language ability as I communicated with the staff in Mandarin. The location was great for getting to the Jiuzhaigou National Park first thing in the morning at 7am and also to the theatre where the Zang Mi show was staged. Also, the Chinese restaurant in the hotel is of a very high standard and reasonably priced for the quality they serve up. Overall, I would definitely return to the Sheraton when I revisit Jiuzhaigou National Park.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest, thank you for staying with Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort! We will keep on providing warm and customized service to every Sheraton guest. Thank you again for your comments!
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

This is the second time I stayed at this hotel and I didn't enjoy it my stay due to the lack of staff training at breakfast and dinner that the Chinese restaurant. I do thinks staffs like to please but there was just no coordination.
The room was big but hot because I couldn't turn off the heat, I have to open windows at the top to avoid feeling suffocated but then, I was waken many times at night because even at the fifth floor, people talked to loud as they walked by, well needless to say, the majority of hotel guests were local Chinese and I do not need to expand on how they added unpleasantness to the stay.
The quality of the breakfast buffet was terrible like watery scramble eggs and oatmeal, lettuce were not drained, but why am I complaining, the locals are supporting the hotel and I have to accept the trend,
I do appreciate that Joy Zhang let me have a RMB3001 room for RMB2806 and I still think that to visit Jiuzhaigou, Sheraton is the best place to stay.

Room Tip: Bring ear plug, guests would have their room doors open and scream across the hallway to talk.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest, thank you for your review at our hotel.Apologise for the noise problem you countered in hotel at first, and I will send your comments to other department for improving our service. Thank you again for staying with us, and we will keep on provide better service for every Sheraton guest!