My brother and I stayed 3 nights at the Jiuzhaigou Sherton from 9/30-10/02. Considering how rustic the area is despite 3 million + visitors per year... most of the places look like crap there... This is likely because 90%+ of the visitors to the area are still Chinese so the standards have not yet gone up. This hotel itself is VERY Chinese... the staff speaks barely any English at all, the food offerings are VERY Chinese... and there is basically nothing to do in the area except hike Jiuzhaigou valley which you can complete in one full day from 7am - 5pm easily.
The hotel staff I spoke on the phone were excellent and extremely helpful in telling me about local transportation and how much time I would likely need and what costs, etc so I could plan our trip. But this could be I justgot lucky with one guy... Of course I had to speak to him in Chinese to get the information because the English ability of all staff at the hotel is VERY poor.
PRICE for VALUE
Horrible. 9100 RMB for 3 nights... That's $1,433 USD... = $478 per night. At that price it better be the best hotel ever... and it certainly was not.
OK... a little old. I heard the hotel was built in the late 1990s... I doubt anytthing has been upgraded. No WiFi in the room... only in the lobby. There is a cable ethernet cord so they can charge you extra for internet use in the room. Again... for these prices this should be included. The room was small, not overly clean, but usable... It's what I would expect from a 3 star hotel.
Very expensive and only 2 options... a Chinese restaurant with outrageous prices or a Chinese buffet with a few badly made Western options in it. Also expensive. The local area food outside which is about a 4km walk away are dirty hole in the wall places (which I am fine with) but the prices are higher than western food in Shanghai... so everything here in Jiuzhaigou is VERY hjighly priced to gouge tourists... even if you are fluent in Chinese.
Worst ever. No one speaks any English. Even in Chinese, they have no idea what they are doing. No matter what I asked for it was like pulling teeth... the simplest inquiries were met with confusion... ordering room service was a huge challenge... asking about hiking in Jiuzhaigou was almost impossible... and trying to get info about anything else to do in the area was a waste of time. The room had a book saying that Woolong Panda reserve was an option... but after an hour discussion, they said it was a 12 hour drive away... not exactly local... Then I did research on the web and found they have no pandas there anyway after the 2008 earthquake. The staff told me then that there is absolutely nothing to do in the area except hike Jiuzhaigou... but when we wasted a day walking around the town, at the end of our last day we saw a sign for the Golden Snub-nosed Monkey ecological reserve which is only 30 km away... so we could have done that... but no info on it from the hotel... The worst part of the service was that we asked the hotel to book a taxi for 5:30am the day we had to leave... they told us it was a 90 minute drive to the airport. They also told us to be in the lobby at 5:20am to check out and it would only take 5 minutes. We were at the lobby at 5:15am, with no one else there, it took 3 front desk staff 15 minutes to do a simple check out. At 5:30am, we went outside where the taxi driver yelled at us for being late. He said the hotel told him 5:20am and he was angry. We said we were sorry but we asked for 5:30am taxi and could we go to the airport now. He refused and drove off because he said we lied to him.... We ran back into the hotel to tell themm... they said they didn't know any other taxi drivers!!! They called a few... and said one would come in 8 minutes... But it took 30 miunutes to arrive and he had no gas. So he had to take us to another taxi driver... we didn't start out for the airport until 6:10... and our flight was at 8:20 am... with traffic we arrive at the airport at 7:55am... so the hotel telling us 90 minutes was bad anyway, plus they lied to the taxi driver, had no way to replace him, and did nothing to help us... we had to run through the airport and they literally closed the plane door as I walked in. A horrid experience all because the hotel has such poor service.
Additionally, when we were trying to go to sleep earlier the night before so we could wake up at 4:30am... the hotel kept calling our room over and over again despite me telling them not to. They called 3 times from 10pm to 11:30pm until we finally took the cord out of the phone. Horrid!
Overall... Jiuzhaigou is NOT worth the long trip, high prices you have to pay, and crowds of chinese you have to fight to see it. Yes, it is pretty - no doubt... so if you had to be in Chengdu for business and you had a weekend... maybe take a trip there and stay 1 night... OK... but really don't go out of your way... and I hope to God that Sheraton does some quality control and training for their horrid staff in Jiuzhaigou, as well as reduce the ridiculous prices they charge...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Get the celebrity treatment with world-class service at Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort One of our bestsellers in Jiuzhaigou! The 5-star Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort is located only 1.5 km from Jiuzhaigou Valley National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage site. It boasts 5 dining options, a variety of leisure facilities and rooms with natural spring water. The elegant rooms come with stylish modern interiors, soothing coloured tones and large bay windows that overlook the mountain. Each has a sofa seating area, flat-screen TV and private bathroom with a bathtub. Guests can indulge in a body massage at the spa, or relax in the hot spring bath. Taking a dip in the indoor pool or exercising at the gym are also good recreational choices. Mirror Lake and Colored Lake cafes serve a variety of international dishes, while Chinese specialities are offered at Pearl Court restaurant. Refreshing beverages can be enjoyed at Colorful Pool Disco and the Lobby Lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Hotel Jiuzhaigou County
- Jiuzhaigou County Sheraton