“Excellent location. Poor hotel.”

Jiuzhai Resort Hotel
Ranked #26 of 192 Hotels in Jiuzhaigou County
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Excellent location. Poor hotel.”
Reviewed November 8, 2011

We arrived at Jiuzhaigou after dark, following a terrifying 11-hours bus ride from Chengdu, right into a thunderstorm, with no accommodation booked (this was too spontaneous). After we couldn't catch a taxi for a very long time, we entered the hotel and asked them how we can get to the youth hostels area. Instead of answering the question, the receptionist told us that they have a room for 200RMB and that a hostel will cost 160RMB for dorm + 20RMB taxi to there and back to the park on the next morning, so we better stay there (The prices she told us were correct, we verified them at morning).
My friend went with her to see a room and it was ok so we decided to stay. However, after we already paid she said that we do not get the same room but a similar one. When we got up to the room she also told us that they only have hot water from 830pm to 11pm.
The moment she left we found some not-very-small bug on the wall. Then, we also found that water are leaking from the ceiling of our bathroom, so some maintenance guy came and fixed it. After a short while we discovered that the room is freaking cold as the window cannot be completely closed. There was an air conditioner there but no way to turn it on. I asked the same receptionist and she said that it cannot be used, and sent another maintenance girl to turn on our electric sheets (which are common in Sichuan). However, they did not work. I covered the window gap with some duct tape I had with me and we just entered our beds and went to sleep with our thermal cloths on us, to keep warm.
In addition, it seems like the hotel is mainly intended for "day use". They have a price "per hour" in the pricelist, and in room we had some "safe sex" signs and some boxes I didn't touch but I think contained condoms.
The price included breakfast so we went to the dining room at morning. It was a chinese breakfast with all sorts of food we do not eat at morning (well, this is our problem). Dining room was very crowded, with very long lines. We were the only foreigners there which was kind of awkward.
The room itself was ok but not very clean. There was this bug on the wall and the sheets were dirty. Shower was clean. People were smoking in the corridor so there was smell of cigarettes all around and also in the room.
At morning we immediately went to look for another place to stay. It was hard and everyone demanded very high prices, so we came back and asked to stay another night. Fortunately they did not have a room available. We went back to the center and found a nice hostel for the same price (but much better conditions, ask me for details). It did not require a taxi to get from the hostel to the park (as the lady said) if not taking big luggage with you. Only 15 minutes walk. And we had hot water whenever we wanted and a cleaner room.

Also - there was no internet connection in the hotel at all.

Room Tip: Consider booking another hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank Yotam H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney Australia
Reviewed August 2, 2011

In July my partner and I stayed two nights at this hotel. On arrival we were given a note with the following information Hot water 1830-2400 0630-0900 no air condition. Our tour guide suggested that the temperature in Jiuzhaigou is not hot so there is no need for air conditioning. Our room whilst clean and neat was very stuffy and certainly needed air conditioning. Breakfast was a battle to find seating and the hotel obviously catered for large Chinese tour groups as the only western food was eggs and toast. The lack of english speaking staff made understanding between it both difficult and frustrating on both sides.
An attempt to change a 100RMB note into two 50RMB notes was meet with an unwillingness to assist until a second staff member told the first to change the 100RMB note. My partner translated the Chinese and told me that the first counter staff told her companion that she didn't want to do it. No credit card and foreign exchange facility makes this hotel suitable for large Chinese tour groups but not foreign touriusts.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Keith060

Travelers are raving about these Jiuzhaigou County hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 23, 2011

The exterior and lobby seems big and reasonably furnished but the service and amenities were poor. Staff spoke mainly chinese. You have to rush and fight for your breakfast, whicg is probably not worthwhile anyway. nonchalent restaurant staff. poor hot water supply and none during daytime. had to go without a shower on first night after a long bus trip. No laundry service or western restaurant dining despite advertised in hotel brochure. Hotel is mainly catering for Local travellers from interstate and at the very best room with a view, I would give it a 3 star rating. Much needs to be done in terms or staff training and facilities upgrade. but then this is in the rural area. The sheraton would be a much better choice for overseas travellers if affordable and there is a good tibetan show next to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank shrink61
Penang
Reviewed May 28, 2011

The hotel is well located very near the entrance of the Park. We spent 2 nights here and requested for 1 room with Twin beds and 1 room with a King size bed to be located on the same floor near each other. The hotel gave us our 2 rooms on the same floor and directly opposite each other at the corner of the floor.

We found the rooms to be quite cozy, well lit and spacious enough. The bathroom have hot water at night when we returned.

The breakfast buffet was mainly Chinese with minimal Western dishes. Luckily we were prepared and brought our own peanut butter, jam and coffee. For serious coffee drinkers, you should BYO, and do not forget your coffee mate creamer.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank lo_kelvin1
melbourne
Reviewed November 16, 2010

We had been travelling around China for over 2 weeks and were having a really good time and were looking forward to our stay in Jiuzhaigou at the end of Oct 2010.
However, when we stepped into the hotel lobby, it was dim and very cold with no heater (it had snowed early on in the day). That was nothing compared to the cold and rude reception we got from the front desk staff. I showed him my booking from ctrip.com but he dismissed it immediately saying that he was not expecting any check-ins other than check-ins from tour groups. When I asked him to check again, he refused flatly and his body language was 'stop wasting my time and get out of here'.
I had to call ctrip on my own mobile to clarify the problem and after about more than half an hour, Mr Gao, the front desk staff conceded that we did book our rooms. No apologies, nothing!
Breakfast was the most horrible we ever had in any hotel in China. The bread were so stale and there was no toaster in sight. I didn't see any butter either. The only thing we could eat was hard boiled eggs. They didn't even have any sweet potatoes. Coffee? Was the thin darkish liquid I saw in that big urn coffee? I was certainly not tempted to try at all.

All in all, the amount one would pay for this hotel was a rip-off. Avoid it at all costs. They only cater for big tour groups.

Thank goodness, Sheraton was next door and we could have our dinner there with polite staff and warm surroundings. Pay a bit more for the 2 to 3 days you are in JZG and stay at more pleasant hotels. You will not regret it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank puzzlemelbourne
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 15, 2010

I chose this hotel after I went throught all the comments in Tripadvisor and websites in chinese.... It seemed to me that the only thing I need to worry about is the breakfast. but, after staying at the hotels for four nights....I found that the breakfast was not as bad as described. It was definitely not a luxury breakfast, but it gave you every basic things you need before going up to the mountain. there were rice, noodles, vegetables, bread,dumplings.... to me, the only thing they lack is coffee. that didn't border me much as my husband was clear enough to bring ten pack of instant coffee for our trip. Afterall, Jiuzhaigou is not a place for good food.....
Other things of the hotel are good. The room is clean and cozy. The location is just great. just around 20 minutes (walking distance) from the park.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rubydejolie
jakarta
Reviewed August 22, 2010

We stayed for 2 nights, booked business room type from ctrip. We arrived at the hotel around 10.30 pm. None of the staff speaks english not even the front desk manager. Anyway the check-in is fast, room is clean and spacious, location is good - there are 24 hours mini market and some restaurants beside the hotel, it is around 2 km from the park entry. Breakfast is terrible, we could only eat the boiled eggs and porridge.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family