“Nice place, but too expensive”

Rising International Zhonglian Hotel
Ranked #11 of 148 Hotels in Dandong
Beijing, China
“Nice place, but too expensive”
Reviewed May 5, 2010

The hotel and its facilites are ok and of course you will have the great advantage of an excellent view to North Korea and the Friensship Bridge.

The staff is kind and helpful; cleanliness is soso. The biggest disadvantage is the high price you will have to pay, I guess mainly for its prime location.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Urs_CH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Korean first
TX
Reviewed May 12, 2009

Took an 0810 flight out of Beijing and arrived in Dandong at 0950. Airport was a little run down and reminded me of some old Russian airports that I've traveled. I was expecting the city to be the same but to my surprise, its very beautiful and modern here. Along the river is a beautiful park and sidewalk area. Very well maintained and I had good weather when I visited so it was even better.
I took a taxi to the hotel. Dont expect the drivers to speak or read any English so make sure you have the hotel phone number so they can call or otherwise you'll be in for an adventure. Hotel was about 15 or 20 minute ride. I gave the guy 100 RMB but the fare was probably only 50 or 60 RMB.
The hotel is located directly in front of the Friendship Bridge that connects China and North Korea. I reserved a twin bed room, riverside for $77 USD. I'm on the 7th floor and the views are amazing. The bridge is directly in front of my window and across the street. You can see for miles in either direction on the North Korean side. Old factories, villages, mountains, farm land.
Hotel check in was easy and the room is large and clean. I have no complaints about the hotel service. I'll post photos as they speak for themselves. Hotel has cable tv, free internet access in the room, sauna, gym, restaurant, gift shop, and air ticket office.
After getting my room, I walked across the street the the Half Bridge that was bombed by the US in the Korean war. The gov't uses it as a tourist attraction and its a nice way to get closer to the North Korean side to take photos. Tickets to walk the bridge are 20 RMB. You can also buy North Korean trinkets such as money and pins very cheap too.
Next, I bought a ticket to ride the speed boats through the river and along the North Korean side. I was in a boat with 4 other Chinese and we got as close as about 100 meters from the North Korean banks. You could clearly see the people, NK flag, and a couple of soldiers with rifles patrolling the banks.
After a little break in the room, I decided to take a cab to the Dandong Great Wall section. Its about a 20 minute ride and I was alone so the driver waiting for me while I explored the wall. I walked to the top of the peak and back in about 45 minutes. Its hilly and steep so depending on your condition and age will depend on how fast you can walk it. At the top of The Wall you have fantastic views of the NK and Chinese sides. Its a must see for good photos of the area. Ticket was 40 RMB and the driver only charged me 150 RMB for 2 hours of his time.
After getting back to my hotel, I decided to walk in the city center and see the shopping and restaurant scene. Take a left from the hotel and its about a 5 or 10 minute walk and basically take a left on what street catches your eye. Those streets lead to more and more. There's a pedestrian area but I cant describe how to get there. I just happened to find my way there. Lots and lots of restaurants to choose from if you're into Asian foods. If not, I saw at least 3 KFC's and 1 Pizza Hut. I didnt see McDonalds but I would be surprised if there isnt one around somewhere.
I accomplished all of these activities in 1 day. I didnt feel rushed at all and I definitely feel I got my moneys worth. I really enjoyed this trip. Its definitely one of the highlights of my time in China and I highly recommend it if you're in the Beijing area and looking for a small excursion to end your vacation. Tomorrow my flight leaves at 1015 in the morning back to Beijing.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo