“Pricey!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Melting Pot

Melting Pot
Reserve with OpenTable
Melting Pot is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #253 of 936 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Sylacauga, Alabama
“Pricey!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

Too pricey to have to cook your own food. Fun for a one time visit but I won't return! Visit was with a group of ladies and we all agreed that we would eat dinner somewhere else and come here for fondue dessert!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Lvbeach85

Gardendale, Alabama
“Terrible server, even worse qualilty/taste of the meal”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Never- ever, have I written a review for a restaurant. I always thought that if I did, it would be due to the meal/experience being wonderful. The Melting Pot on Doug Baker Blvd was hands-down, the worst "dining" travesty in my life. My fiance and I went there for a special occasion Saturday night, 11-10-12. Our server was a complete witch. She literally ran though the menu and specials at lightening speed and we felt rushed deciding what to order. Since we had never been to the Melting Pot before, we wanted to look over the menu options a little more before making our decision.....this was a big no-no for our server. She wanted the answer and she wanted it now. So we went with one of the cheeses, chose our salads entree and cooking style. She prepared the cheese table side, all the while talking like she had a freaking plane to catch and we better hang on cause she was NOT going to slow down. Once the cheese was prepared, she left us with a lumpy, feet smelling pot of what appeared to be a "cheese like" substance. We tasted the cheese and it was horrible. When the server decided to meander back to check on us (which BTW, took forever, I literally could have collected my social security benefits in the amount of time she took to get back with us) we told her the cheese was not good at all. Her response....."well, I sure hate that".......um, yep, that is really what she said. I thought for a brief moment, I was on an old Candid Camera spoof or maybe I was being punked by my daughter. Then the awful reality came crashing to me....this was for real and she didn't give a crap that the cheese tasted like, well.......crap.
Long story short, the cheese was not replaced, the salad was fair at best. It was after all just a salad. I was hoping for something a little more tasty given the fact that with no alcohol and dinner for two was about $80.00. The entree came.....the shrimp was not fresh and smelled horrible, the vegetables were old and the other meats looked very yuck. The only and I do mean the only redeeming factor in this nightmare dinner was the fondue for dessert. It was actually good and the chocolate was very tasty.
Now, mind you, I love to eat out. I love the whole going out to eat experience....from start to finish, it is always fun to go out to eat. I am a great tipper (and actually tipped our server very well that night even though she was experiencing what seemed to be horrific PMS) but I can say without a doubt, I will not go back to eat at the Melting Pot. I work at a large local hospital and know lots of people and I have made it crystal clear how the meal went and to not go back. I guarantee they will not.
Sorry for the rambling, hope everyone has a nice dinner somewhere tonight! :) :)

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Chellemc413
MeltingPotFan, Owner at Melting Pot, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
We at The Melting Pot strive to make each of our guest’s dining experience “something different” and a memorable occasion for all the right reasons. Sometimes we fall short of that goal and for that I would like to personally apologize.
J. Dooley
Co-Owner
The Melting Pot of Birmingham
Biloxi, Mississippi
“Excellent from start to finish. Exceptional service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had the brie cheese fondue that was on special for November. It was really good but my favorite is still their spinach and artichoke. The cheddar fondue is also excellent. then we had the feature dessert fondue for this month.....Creme brulee with white chocolate. OMG this was superb and is my new favorite!!! The blending of white chocolate and creme brulee with the carmalized sugar lighted on fire and blended in was the best fondue we have ever had there. We also loved on past visits the bananas foster fondue and the pecan turtle chocolate fondue. Service is always five star here. Our server even settled a disagreement between us about the legal age in Alabama (googled it on his phone for us) Wish I could remember his name cuz he was so excellent. Gotta go here at least once for the experience.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank busielady1
Albufeira, Portugal
“Skip the meal and go straight for the Chocolate FONDUE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

The other food is ok. I would not say it is extraordinary by any means. It is the experience and if you have 2 hours to kill....this is your place. I would say eat somewhere else and come in for dessert. The chaoclate fondue is amazing....I could drink the stuff. Excellent!!

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jay R
Birmingham, Alabama
“Chain but a FUN experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

I would say Excellent but saved that for the original restaurants. This is kinda pricy for a family of 6 but a fun experience for everyone...you cook your own food on a hot plate at the table. In fact, may take the kids tonight to celebrate a Senior headed to college....its an OUTING. Takes at least an hour. But good food!

Visited December 2011
2 Thank Artallie

Been to Melting Pot? Share your experiences!