“Big Disappointment”
Review of Melting Pot

Melting Pot
Reserve with OpenTable
Melting Pot is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #297 of 947 Restaurants in Birmingham
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Forest, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Big Disappointment”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I visited the restaurant for the first time and was so excited to be going based on the reviews. My experience was very mixed. It started with a waiter asking if we had ever been there before - the party was mixed -- and he proceeded to "blow" through the "experience" at lightning speed -- I'm from the north and even I couldn't keep up or understand what he was saying -- giving the impression he had better things to be doing. We ended up asking him when he came back to go through it again, but slower, now that we had a time to look at the menu. His response was simply what questions did we have. After the second question, it seemed easier to just take his recommendations. The appetizer cheese course was wonderful and enjoyed by all. The dessert was equally great. The main course, however, was the worst I have ever eaten - basically boiled meat and I hate to say - flavorless. We should have changed over to oil, but the waiter gave the impression that he didn't want to be bothered, so the group, to be polite to others and the host, left it as it was. This was by far, the most overpriced, horrific dinner I have ever had. At these rates to only be able to say the cheese dip and fruit/choc were good, is not acceptable in my mind -- the service and main course were terrible. I left very disappointed and feeling awful for the host and his efforts to share such an important occasion. I'm sure all Melting Pots and all staff is not what we experienced, but not worth the risk again - there are too many excellent restaurants out there.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank S N

Gulf Shores, Alabama
“Don't Go On Special Days........(Limited Menus aren't good)”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

They have a set menu on (Valentines Day, Mother's Day, etc...) and it usually is very limited and not good. Our lobster tasted funky the other night. when you think about it, there is no reason why they should limit there menu on special occasions, no one is cooking but YOU. It's just a matter of them taking the time to prep. Hard to believe for $90 (two people), you get 4 chicken nuggets to cook, 2 baby lobster tails, 6 pieces of meat (not filet), and six small shrimp, of course you get the cheese, and a couple veggies, but this is highway robbery in my opinion. When you actually look at the food you are getting, it is amazing what they charge.
Now it is a fun experience, and perhaps that is what you are paying for, but if you are looking ofr experience, why not just got Habachi?

• Visited May 2012
Birmingham, Alabama
“wonderful”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I loved this place. The only bad side is that it is VERY expensive.

Visited March 2012
Biloxi, Mississippi
“If you love cheese or chocolate, THIS IS A MUST TRY.”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

First of all, the area that the restaurant is located is so lovely. It is upstairs in a very upscale shopping center with beautiful landscaping. The employees are so friendly and great at suggestions...very attentive. There were about eight cheese fondue to choose from. The waitress told us that the most popular was the spinach and artichoke cheese fondue so we took her advice and it was fantastic. Served with light and dark bread, tortillas, raw veggies, and granny smith apples for dipping. This cost $8 per person but SO WORTH it. Next we ordered chocolate TURTLE fondue. It is milk chocolate with a little caramel blended in and toasted pecans. It came with white and chocolate marshmellows, rice krispie treats, vanilla and chocolate poundcake, fresh strawberries, and cheesecake for dipping. It also cost $8 per person. SO WORTH IT. I will definitely be going back. The atmosphere, food, and service is FIVE STAR. I believe the sign showed that they are only open from 5-10 most evenings. Reservations are accepted.

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank busielady1
Birmingham, Alabama
“Love it”
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I love going with my friends for drinks and cheese after work. We have been going for several years and love it. The cheese is so delicious, the salads are great, and I love the entree. I usually get just sirloin or the vegetarian, and all the sauces I have had have been good. Service is usually excellent, the bartender Dave will do wine tastings for us, and who couldn’t love the chocolate. It is fun and different, and we always have had a great time. I can see how a foodie might not love it, but it's a fun change of pace for me.

Visited July 2011

Been to Melting Pot? Share your experiences!