“Disappointing”
Review of Bettola

Bettola
Reserve with OpenTable
Bettola is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #75 of 975 Restaurants in Birmingham
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Our night started out ok, as my wife and I were seated right away for our reservation. We were quickly attended to by our waiter who gave extensive reviews and recommendations of the unique cocktails before taking our drink order. This is where the night turned sour. From that point on we saw our waiter no more than 3 times, at no less than 20 minute intervals. To make matters worse, our drinks did not come out for 20 or so minutes. In fact, they came out after our pizza which had been ordered 20 minutes later. While the drinks were good, the same cannot really be said about the pizza. The flavor of the toppings was ok, but for a restaurant the bills itself as authentic Italian style pizza, the crust was so soggy. It seemed almost uncooked. It's a shame because another 1-2 minutes in the oven would resolve this problem. Once we finished our food we were left sitting with empty plates and cups for a long period of time before a manager came by to clear our table and offer dessert menus. However, it took another 10 minutes before our waiter showed up again. When he brought our checks he mentioned that he hoped we hadn't felt ignored and that "it was just one of those nights." So, your miles may vary as far as service goes, but I wonder if the pizza is always soggy. I won't be finding out as we won't be returning any time soon.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

This restaurant has excellent food, pizza, and breads. The owner
has built a large tile oven which was imported from Italy.
The breads are fresh baked and divine. The fish , pasta, and meats are excellent, I love the three cheese pasta and the
Lasagna.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I went with a friend for lunch and we both had the piadine sandwich, mine the sausage and he had the one with beef. I liked that it was baked in the wood oven, that is awesome, but my sandwich fell short on just about everything. Not enough sausage or cheese, way too much almost raw red onion. Same for my buddy. I would like to try their pizza out of that oven; I bet it will be much better. FYI: for the price $$$ on lunch, go to fonfon for the burger.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We eat at Bettola at least once a month. Sometimes with kids and sometimes without. They are taking some reservations now, so grab one if you can. Start with a antipasta plate and if you do not know what anything is, just ask the waiter to help. Do the same with dinner and wine. Also, they have unique and wonderful cocktails. The fish is usually wonderful as well as any of the pastas. If they have spaghetti and meatballs, don't think they are for the less adventurous. They are wonderful and taste like my cousin's Italian grandmother used to make.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We always love Bettola. Pizza is great and pasta is fabulous. Get there early or you will not get a table. A little piece of NYC on Southside.